Old 11-26-2015, 12:35 AM   #1

Driver's side mirror camera-revisited

Since day 1 back on August 31, 2015 I have had problems with my driver's side mirror mounted camera. At first, it was intermittent and as of a month ago, it's "NO SIGNAL" all the time when turn signal is activated. The dealer checked it out and said I needed a new cable from the multiplexer to the camera and ordered one. When it arrived, I went back in to have the cable replaced. That didn't solve the problem, still "NO SIGNAL". So they went to the next step and ordered a camera. That came in today and they had me come right in for it. They replaced the camera and still it doesn't work, "NO SIGNAL". They swapped cable connections at the multiplexer and even tried a new multiplexer, still didn't work. Something in that line? So tonight, I removed the new camera and took it over to the passenger's side and the camera works fine there. So the new camera works, but not on the driver's side. I checked all the connections under the dash and everything that should have power does. I read somewhere on the forum that if a bulb is out, it may affect the camera's operation. All bulbs are working fine.
Dealer says they will call FR Monday about it. The only thing left is the cable they replaced from the multiplexer to the camera is defective. I think I've checked every other possibility, or did I?

Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:52 AM   #2

You or the dealer could run a simple continuity test on the cable, then you would know if it's good, bad or intermittent. That's all I can think of. GL!

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Old 11-26-2015, 12:59 AM   #3

Plug the cable from the passenger side camera into the driver's side input at the multiplexer and see if it works. You've focused on the cable, the camera and the multiplexer... But what about the monitor? Or the cable from multiplexer to the monitor?
Old 11-26-2015, 01:53 AM   #4

Creativepart, We did try the passengers side cable attaching it to the driver's side and it doesn't work. The last thing the dealer said was maybe it's the monitor or cable going up to it. Good idea, thanks Looks like it's all one sealed piece.
Have a Happy thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #5

Cameras

I talked to dealer Wednesday they have now installed what will be the 3rd set of cameras I feel sure I will still have the same problem that wasn't the cameras from the start maybe they will move to trying something different next time wish you good luck on yours sage
Old 11-26-2015, 02:49 PM   #6

Camera question

Ideas you may want to consider:

1. Is there a proper ground for the driver's side camera?
2. Is the monitor programmed to receive the signal?
3. What is the connection at the door jam?

I have installed back-up sensors and a camera systems on our Silverado for the truck and for a cargo trailer camera constantly on when traveling. I then had a radio/GPS/camera head unit installed in the dash. The installer got the back-up cam to work, but not the cargo trailer camera. The installer was at a total loss as to why the trailer cam would not work.When I got it back, I double and triple checked the wiring.I called Rear View Safety tech support and determined that their wiring and connectors are proprietary. The connector I was using looked identical, plugged in, but the integral wires had different terminal points.

Our Sunseeker 2500TS has a one-camera system made by Rear View Safety. This is the same system as we have on the cargo trailer. If you have the same brand system, Rear View Safety has an outstanding tech support. They may hold your answer.

The moral of the story is that the devil is in the details-even the small ones.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #7

Thumbs up I'm at a loss!!???

Did some more testing today. Checked the wire connectors again and used a multimeter. There is voltage for all 3 camera triggers t power plug going into the multiplexer. So power going in to the multiplexer is fine. The multiplexer was swapped out for a test and was fine for the other two cameras. Again, the camera and it's cable back to the multiplexer have been replace. That camera and cable were tested on Port 1 and 2 and had "NO SIGNAL". I tested the old camera on the cable for the passenger side and it didn't work. I then did the same test with the new camera and it did wok. So I know the old camera has failed and the new camera won't work on the driver's side but will work on the passenger side. Has to be the cable they replaced. Maybe FR sent the wrong replacement cable.
So this is my theory, my driver side camera failed and the dealer thought it was the cable and replaced it with one that is defective or the wiring withing is wrong. So they replaced the cable and then the camera. I remember that the cable had a splice in it. The dealer opened it up and showed me the 5 wire splices. So the plug wiring isn't matching up. The camera is from ASA electronics and the monitor and multiplexer are from RVS systems.
PENJOE think you hit the nail on the head!!!!! Thank you!!!
Old 11-26-2015, 11:04 PM   #8

I have three cameras on my fifth wheel toy hauler ( Wolf Pack) The two side cameras work great but the back one works when I am stopped but as soon as I start moving the picture goes to H**l . They are wireless cameras, and I installed a long 30' cable to the back one to get the antenna closer to the front of the trailer (still 6 feet from the front), and it works till I start down the road then I start getting interference. The cameras are set up on there own frequency. Not sure what the problem is, I does work better since I moved the antenna closer to the front. The cameras are designed for Big rigs so you would think they would work on a fifth wheel.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #9

Wireless Camera Advertising

The cost of the system and the quality of the cameras have a bearing on true functionality. The problem is believing the hype of the advertising. If you read the reviews, you may get a more clear picture (pardon the pun) of what the system really is-and, get the opinions from more than one source. Look for reviews specific to "Big Rig" installations. Also, it may give you clues to your problem. Personally, I look for 3 things: number of reviews; date posted; depth of the review; percentage of poor ratings; posting updates. If the overall ratings of your system are marginal, it is difficult to make it into something it is not capable of.

I had considered using a wireless system for a back-up cam and the trailer cam, but real time users changed my mind.Wireless cameras are much easier to set up than hard wired. Having the antenna even 6' farther than your vehicle hitch may be too far. Explained simply, household rabbit ears on OTA channels may/may not work in one position. Twist it, move it a couple inches, raise/lower the antenna height can drastically change the reception. This is similar to a vehicle wireless cam system, but a mobile system has a weaker signal and more interference both electrically and physically to block a signal.

However, you want to make your system work. You indicated that you ran a cable to the front to get a better signal. Did you use RJ-6 coax and did you make your own connections? The cable quality, antenna cable distance or a connector may have duplicated the problem. And, are you using water-tight connections for the antenna wire run?

If you can't solve your problem, you may want to consider going hard wired. A toy hauler should make it easier.I am using a Rear View Safety camera system with a wire harness designed specifically for trailers and big rigs. It comes as a kit or separately. Other than the power supply to the head unit, it is pretty much plug-'n-play. They are qualty products, reasonably priced and have great customer support. Our system has had 3 years of flawless cross-country operation. I have found that the one hooded rear camera is very wide angled and adequate. It shows clearly that I have passed a vehicle fully and it is safe to change lanes. Along with the side mirrors, we have very good vision even within 6' of the back of the trailer. They have other systems with multiplexers and more cameras. RVS supplies systems to the RV industry and I appreciated that one was factory installed on our Sunseeker 2500TS.

Keep us posted on how this works out for you.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
I have three cameras on my fifth wheel toy hauler ( Wolf Pack) The two side cameras work great but the back one works when I am stopped but as soon as I start moving the picture goes to H**l . They are wireless cameras, and I installed a long 30' cable to the back one to get the antenna closer to the front of the trailer (still 6 feet from the front), and it works till I start down the road then I start getting interference. The cameras are set up on there own frequency. Not sure what the problem is, I does work better since I moved the antenna closer to the front. The cameras are designed for Big rigs so you would think they would work on a fifth wheel.

Could be since interference increases with speed (engine speed included) it may be the alternator or ing. system needs suppressors to clip the radio waves.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums