Old 07-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #11
World Wide Wanderer

We typically just run the dash A/C but if it is above the low 90's we will run the generator and the main A/C, not a huge hit on mileage, less than 1/2 a gallon an hour.

Dog rides on a custom built platform between the seats... or in your lap if you don't shove him out of the way.

Here is a picture of the platform frame, don't have pictures of it skinned in thin plywood. It also doubles as a storage rack when we park.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #12

32 ft. LEPRECHAUN does fine with chassis AC with temp in 90s. I do leave the roof vent in back open to draft out warm ceiling air and pemits good air flow in with AC fan on low or medium setting.

Two Golden Retrievers that are always on floor against the front seats. Have cube type ottoman between seats keeping them behind us. Of course a head will rest on ottoman from tim to tome for a pet or treat. Water dish behind them. Feel they will be restrain by front seats if hard breaking when laying down so never felt need for harnesses. I would only consider a harness if attached by a shock absorbing lead like used by roofers. A static type rope may do more harm than good.

TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD
Souris River Canoe leTigre Quetico 17
Old Town Canoe Penobscot 17 Royalex
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #13

Class C 2003 Sunseeker

We travel with 2 Westies. They only weigh 25 pounds each....Last year they traveled on the couch. We have harnesses that attach to the seat belt. They allow enough room for them to stretch their legs, lay down or sit up.....they usually lay down while traveling. We also have this system in our toad. My fear is if we didn't use some kind of securing system they would become a projectile if we had to stop suddenly or if we were in an accident....We originally had 3 Westies so we used the couch. This year, with only having 2 Westies we have affixed their harness straps to the seat belts at the dinette.... they are like kids...better to keep separated.....
In regards to the a/c.....if it is any hotter out than 85......we have to fire up the generator .
I hope this info is of help to you or another dog lover....This forum has been so good to us in answering questions and helping us to understand the different functions of our Sunseeker.

Take care all....and if you are in Goshen for the rally please look us up!
2014 Palomino 30RKSS-1S Travel Trailer
The Mustard Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:04 PM   #14

It's always only been the two of us plus a small dog. We've never had to run the coach A/C to stay cool, and we've driven in 105 F plus weather.

Our little dog rides between us on a bean bag. It's easy to throw out of the way onto the overcab bed and we can just step on it to get to the coach.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #15

With dogs and AC

3170 and two Newfoundlands. Much like the others, we use the Ford's AC until the outside temps climb to a point where it can't keep up. We then fire up the generator and turn on the roof AC. No appreciable drop in mileage. The dogs will take turns sitting between us, then will find someplace to lay down (normally the floor or the couch). A more active large breed dog may require a leash, however Newfs are anything but active, so they are fine untethered.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mustard Seed View Post
We travel with 2 Westies. They only weigh 25 pounds each....Last year they traveled on the couch. We have harnesses that attach to the seat belt. They allow enough room for them to stretch their legs, lay down or sit up.....they usually lay down while traveling. We also have this system in our toad. My fear is if we didn't use some kind of securing system they would become a projectile if we had to stop suddenly or if we were in an accident....We originally had 3 Westies so we used the couch. This year, with only having 2 Westies we have affixed their harness straps to the seat belts at the dinette.... they are like kids...better to keep separated.....
In regards to the a/c.....if it is any hotter out than 85......we have to fire up the generator .
I hope this info is of help to you or another dog lover....This forum has been so good to us in answering questions and helping us to understand the different functions of our Sunseeker.

Take care all....and if you are in Goshen for the rally please look us up!
Yes, dogs should be harnessed up to prevent them from flying into or through the front windshield or dashboard during an emergency stop or an accident. That doesn't mean they are anchored in one place. It can be set with a leash so they can move about a bit. This setup also keeps them from coming into the cab and trying to jump in your lap. A distraction like that can cause an accident which could not only hurt you but could hurt or kill someone else. Let's remember we are driving 5 ton+ RVs and that driving requires 100% focus all the time. (That comment is not directed at anyone in particular and certainly not at you, The Mustard Seed!)
Old 09-09-2016, 06:56 AM   #17

In our 22 ft. Class C, there are factory installed big metal rings in the plywood dinette wall. The dinette back cushions attach to the wall with velcro, so are easily removed and give our dogs a little more flat space on the bottom cushion to sleep while we are driving. We tether them both to the metal ring from their harnesses with a short shared lead. They know the routine and go with it, sleeping very comfortably and safe right behind me on the drivers side. Better safe than sorry. They are small and only weigh 10 and 19 pounds. When we bring our 3rd dog, a small 40 pound standard poodle, she lays on a run on the floor.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #18

Love my motorhome. Hate the Ford E450 cab. Very uncomfortable, especially for the passenger. Seats are garbage and the dog house is way too large causing insufficient leg room.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:58 AM   #19

It really is personal preference. I love driving my e450 v10 with 6 speed. Seats are ok but best seats I ever sat in in a class c are the custom seats jayco uses in their class c units. I would buy one of their seats if I could. The comfort is amazing.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:29 AM   #20

When I am driving I place a thin little pillow behind my head and neck area to fill the gap for head support. Actually, we owned a 2000 Ford Explorer for 15 years. That thing was the most uncomfortable vehicle I ever rode in. I think our Forester MH seats are very comfortable. I think its all about one's frame of reference.

2016 Forester 2291S Class C
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Tags
class c