Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #1

Driving Issues with a Class C

I am considering upgrading to a Class C (I like the floor plan of the Forester 2801). A couple questions I have with driving one are:

1. While driving how well does the A/C keep the whole RV cool?
2. When traveling with big dogs (we have 2 over 75 lbs) how do you handle them? Do you let them roam free or leash them to the seat belts, or something else's?
TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 HD Allison/Duramax Diesel 4WD
TT - 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 2618
Texbahrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:14 AM   #2
clr

The dash AC will do an OK job of cooling the unit in the front cab only. The farther back in the unit you go the warmer it will it. If you like it really cool then your only option is to run a built in generator and use the coach AC also when driving. I had a black lab when we had our class C, and she would only ride right between the front seats. She got a little car sick otherwise.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbahrs View Post
I am considering upgrading to a Class C (I like the floor plan of the Forester 2801). A couple questions I have with driving one are:

2. When traveling with big dogs (we have 2 over 75 lbs) how do you handle them? Do you let them roam free or leash them to the seat belts, or something else's?
I guess it depends on where and when you're driving, outside temperature, etc. I have owned 3 class C's and 1 class A and have never used anything but the chassis a/c when driving.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #4

My 3011DS is fine with the chassis AC up to about 85 degrees. My 3 kids in the back were comfortable with the shades down and just the front AC up to about that temp. Above that and the generator had to be started. We drove from LA to Alabama a few weeks ago and it was over 100 degrees for the entire trip, a lot of it was 110 or above. We ran the generator and it kept it very comfortable in the motorhome. I didn't notice a change in fuel mileage with it on.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:05 PM   #5

Quote:

We traveled with big dogs in our class C for almost 10 years. Currently two 140 pound St Bernards. Never a problem. Let them roam and they will probably end up between the seats or on a settee or table seat.
milvet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #6

My thoughts

I find the coach AC comfortable. I tried several options for my 75 lb lab X. She rides in the back of my SUV without any problems but she was only comfortable in the RV between the two front seats. I put down several layers of foam for her to lie on in an effort to reduce the heat from the engine. I make sure she has access to her drinking water and we stop every 2 to 3 hours maximum. I tried her on a body harness and strapped it to a seat belt but she fussed so much it wasn't worth it. I found myself distracted by her restlessness. If she was younger I would have insisted/persisted but at 12.5 I gave in to her wishes.
waterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #7

Our dogs are just fine with the A/C from the cab unit. They are on the couch behind the drivers seat and we aim vents towards them. If it is really warm I close off the bedroom and bathroom doors thus cooling only the "living" area. No problems here in Texas but we rarely travel when outside temperatures are in the 100s!
Old 07-13-2016, 04:25 PM   #8

Quote:

The longer the class C the less effective the A/C. I had a 24' Sunseeker which was kept cold by the dash A/C.

I will not stick my paws into the dogs in RV's controversy.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #9

Our Forester 2401WS was fine with just the dash air in 94 degree weather driving.
Cfritts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #10

Dash A/C

30 foot Freelander on a Ford 350 chassis and 94 degrees outside and the dash A/C on low was all I needed but I had nobody else in the coach.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #11
World Wide Wanderer

We typically just run the dash A/C but if it is above the low 90's we will run the generator and the main A/C, not a huge hit on mileage, less than 1/2 a gallon an hour.

Dog rides on a custom built platform between the seats... or in your lap if you don't shove him out of the way.

Here is a picture of the platform frame, don't have pictures of it skinned in thin plywood. It also doubles as a storage rack when we park.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #12

32 ft. LEPRECHAUN does fine with chassis AC with temp in 90s. I do leave the roof vent in back open to draft out warm ceiling air and pemits good air flow in with AC fan on low or medium setting.

Two Golden Retrievers that are always on floor against the front seats. Have cube type ottoman between seats keeping them behind us. Of course a head will rest on ottoman from tim to tome for a pet or treat. Water dish behind them. Feel they will be restrain by front seats if hard breaking when laying down so never felt need for harnesses. I would only consider a harness if attached by a shock absorbing lead like used by roofers. A static type rope may do more harm than good.

PAST- 2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF w/TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD, 2008 Springdale 266RL, 2002 Outback 25FB
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #13

Class C 2003 Sunseeker

We travel with 2 Westies. They only weigh 25 pounds each....Last year they traveled on the couch. We have harnesses that attach to the seat belt. They allow enough room for them to stretch their legs, lay down or sit up.....they usually lay down while traveling. We also have this system in our toad. My fear is if we didn't use some kind of securing system they would become a projectile if we had to stop suddenly or if we were in an accident....We originally had 3 Westies so we used the couch. This year, with only having 2 Westies we have affixed their harness straps to the seat belts at the dinette.... they are like kids...better to keep separated.....
In regards to the a/c.....if it is any hotter out than 85......we have to fire up the generator .
I hope this info is of help to you or another dog lover....This forum has been so good to us in answering questions and helping us to understand the different functions of our Sunseeker.

Take care all....and if you are in Goshen for the rally please look us up!
2018 297 RSK Primetime Crusader
The Mustard Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:04 PM   #14

It's always only been the two of us plus a small dog. We've never had to run the coach A/C to stay cool, and we've driven in 105 F plus weather.

Our little dog rides between us on a bean bag. It's easy to throw out of the way onto the overcab bed and we can just step on it to get to the coach.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #15

With dogs and AC

3170 and two Newfoundlands. Much like the others, we use the Ford's AC until the outside temps climb to a point where it can't keep up. We then fire up the generator and turn on the roof AC. No appreciable drop in mileage. The dogs will take turns sitting between us, then will find someplace to lay down (normally the floor or the couch). A more active large breed dog may require a leash, however Newfs are anything but active, so they are fine untethered.
mhaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mustard Seed View Post
We travel with 2 Westies. They only weigh 25 pounds each....Last year they traveled on the couch. We have harnesses that attach to the seat belt. They allow enough room for them to stretch their legs, lay down or sit up.....they usually lay down while traveling. We also have this system in our toad. My fear is if we didn't use some kind of securing system they would become a projectile if we had to stop suddenly or if we were in an accident....We originally had 3 Westies so we used the couch. This year, with only having 2 Westies we have affixed their harness straps to the seat belts at the dinette.... they are like kids...better to keep separated.....
In regards to the a/c.....if it is any hotter out than 85......we have to fire up the generator .
I hope this info is of help to you or another dog lover....This forum has been so good to us in answering questions and helping us to understand the different functions of our Sunseeker.

Take care all....and if you are in Goshen for the rally please look us up!
Yes, dogs should be harnessed up to prevent them from flying into or through the front windshield or dashboard during an emergency stop or an accident. That doesn't mean they are anchored in one place. It can be set with a leash so they can move about a bit. This setup also keeps them from coming into the cab and trying to jump in your lap. A distraction like that can cause an accident which could not only hurt you but could hurt or kill someone else. Let's remember we are driving 5 ton+ RVs and that driving requires 100% focus all the time. (That comment is not directed at anyone in particular and certainly not at you, The Mustard Seed!)
Old 09-09-2016, 06:56 AM   #17

In our 22 ft. Class C, there are factory installed big metal rings in the plywood dinette wall. The dinette back cushions attach to the wall with velcro, so are easily removed and give our dogs a little more flat space on the bottom cushion to sleep while we are driving. We tether them both to the metal ring from their harnesses with a short shared lead. They know the routine and go with it, sleeping very comfortably and safe right behind me on the drivers side. Better safe than sorry. They are small and only weigh 10 and 19 pounds. When we bring our 3rd dog, a small 40 pound standard poodle, she lays on a run on the floor.
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #18

Love my motorhome. Hate the Ford E450 cab. Very uncomfortable, especially for the passenger. Seats are garbage and the dog house is way too large causing insufficient leg room.
rbetzwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:58 AM   #19

It really is personal preference. I love driving my e450 v10 with 6 speed. Seats are ok but best seats I ever sat in in a class c are the custom seats jayco uses in their class c units. I would buy one of their seats if I could. The comfort is amazing.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:29 AM   #20

When I am driving I place a thin little pillow behind my head and neck area to fill the gap for head support. Actually, we owned a 2000 Ford Explorer for 15 years. That thing was the most uncomfortable vehicle I ever rode in. I think our Forester MH seats are very comfortable. I think its all about one's frame of reference.

2016 Forester 2291S Class C
2016 Jeep Wrangler
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c