Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #81

Were in a heat wave almost 32 here.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:34 AM   #82
RodeRunner

Smile Thanks for the validation!

After 30+ years of RV'ing we decided to go to a motorhome. We bought our first (Class C) motorhome in July from a Forester dealer. My first weekend of trying to figure out the details of a motor coach I discovered the very same odd awning operation.

Awning only operated with ignition in on position.
Awning does not even show on OneControl panel unless ignition is in on position
Slide control did not appear on OneControl until ignition is in on position

This awning operation doesn't make any sense. I never thought to get a remote start to fix the problem. Kudos for the idea.

After a quick chat with LCI, they confirmed this operation was not correct. Dealer said it was and the run around began. I wanted to fix the issue, so I set out to reverse engineer the mistake. Removing the panel on the Electronic Control Circuit (Black metal cover with two thumb screws) revealed this statement:

"Awning operates when ignition is off" See pic of cover.

Validation the awning is not wired correctly!

Troubleshooting for six hours revealed two issues (Pics included):
J8 and J14 connection were reversed on the ECC
LCI five relay controller was wired to power only when the ignition is on

ECC Electronic Control Circuit (Black metal cover with two thumb screws by door):
For some reason on my coach the awning and an unused slide connection was switched around. I put these connections back where they should be. The ECC also has fuses built in for the circuits it controls. so I had to move the fuse to the awning circuit.

Power to LCI five relay control:
Generally, CAN bus devices should have power to all devices on a CAN (Computer Area Network.) As seen in the picture, the LCI OneControl systems consists of several CAN devices and controllers. The Five relay device is the only one wired differently. The green and red stripe wire only supplies power to the controller when the ignition is on. On my coach only two of the relays on this module are used; one for the awning and one for the single slide.

The relay module simply takes the place of an extend/retract switch commonly found for slides or awnings. It does not control power to the devices, only controls which direction they move. The ECC above manges when and if power is applied to the device, so it makes no sense to disable the control module power to prevent the device from operating. The ECC already takes care of this. I removed the useless green and red stripe power when ignition is on wire and connected this module to the same power source as the module beside it.

The awning now operates only when the ignition is off, and the slide only operates when the ignition is on. The oneControl panel will always show the devices, but only operates them when the correct status is met to do so.

FYI: this configuration also prevents the an accidental extension of the Solara smart arm awning while driving according the LCI awning recall. The ECC does not supply power to the awning when the ignition is on.

This solution is probably more complicated than getting a remote start installed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180726_234459_HDR.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	193032   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180719_192553_HDR.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	193033  
F-450

roderunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #83

roderunner,
Great info. I suspected this is what FR did to cause the issue that brian and others have experienced.

Brian,
You now have a solution, move 1wire and fuse/circuit breaker in the BCC.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 12-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #84

roderunner, great work and pictures to solve this issue.

One question, in the second picture you point to a green and yellow wire (as opposed to a green and red striped wire), I am assuming that meant green and yellow and that that is the power from the ignition correct? Or is this the new power you ran to the relay?
Dr Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:53 AM   #85

Roderunner....I see that you just signed up this month. With your skills and knowledge I hope you stick around a long time.

Next assignment....let’s get the slide power disabled with the ignition on. That would be much safer. On my 3051 the One Control panel and app both show the slide and awning not available as soon as the ignition is on. Nice to know they won’t activate at 60 mph. I understand why the ignition has to be on (and usually engine running) for the stab jacks to operate due to their high power draw, so with ignition off they are disabled.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #86

The strange thing is that my 2017(built 2016) can't operate the awning or the slide with the motor running, but the jacks will come up with it on.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #87

The way the One Control system works in conjunction with the BCC the Slide & awning icons will always be shown or not shown in harmony (this was the issue that started this thread by the OP). But just because they are both visible does not indicate that power is available to actually operate the slide or awning.
Power for the 5 function module (which just replaces a manual switch in this application) comes from a different source than the power to operate the actual motors/slide controller.
The solution roderunner explained will do exactly what you want. Assuming FR picked up power for the slide controller from the proper point on the BCC.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 12-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
The strange thing is that my 2017(built 2016) can't operate the awning or the slide with the motor running, but the jacks will come up with it on.
The jacks are wired directly to the house batteries. They only alarm if not in all up position when ignition on is sensed. There is no ignition interlock on them at all to prevent operation. This is how the Bigfoot jacks function. It may be different for the LCI jacks.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 12-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #89

Roderunner;

Your description and photographs are amazing, thank you for your guidance. I’m sure this is beyond my skill set and capabilities.

I may be able to have a Rv service person follow your documentation and correct our unit.

Thank You Very Much;

Brian French
Brianfrench65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
The jacks are wired directly to the house batteries. They only alarm if not in all up position when ignition on is sensed. There is no ignition interlock on them at all to prevent operation. This is how the Bigfoot jacks function. It may be different for the LCI jacks.
Thanks, That makes sense. I would only here a alarm going off if they were down. I have the Big foot ones. One problem I have is the back passenger side one sometimes doesn't go up all the way, but it says all up. I try to lower it manually and if that doesn't work then I use the emergency up. I think the switch under there is intermitting and may need to be changed out.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #91

Quote:
That’s the way the system is supposed to work.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #92

Quote:
Thanks, That makes sense. I would only here a alarm going off if they were down. I have the Big foot ones. One problem I have is the back passenger side one sometimes doesn't go up all the way, but it says all up. I try to lower it manually and if that doesn't work then I use the emergency up. I think the switch under there is intermitting and may need to be changed out.
It's simple fix to clean up the up position switch. Sometimes the actuator pin gets bent and needs replaced. You can pick up a 1/4" x 2" clevis pin at Lowes or HD for about a buck. Quadra/Bigfoot has the procedure on their website.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 12-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
It's simple fix to clean up the up position switch. Sometimes the actuator pin gets bent and needs replaced. You can pick up a 1/4" x 2" clevis pin at Lowes or HD for about a buck. Quadra/Bigfoot has the procedure on their website.
THANKS, I do remember when we picked up the RV the guy had to bend the pin back and it worked for awhile. I will replace the pin. thanks again.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
That’s the way the system is supposed to work.
thanks!!! so many things different on this RV than our old one.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #95

This has been a great thread to follow! Thanks to Roderunner and Steve-W for the technical input. Personally I can't always figure out the amount of detail shared but I can understand the instructions and how to implement them if I need to.

My 2017 operates properly but the photos and wiring details will always be helpful in case of some other trouble.

The forum will hopefully always have this thread available for members to point out to others whose rigs were wired like Brians.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #96

Greetings; after 4 months and 56 Email ‘s, our awning is wired properly as to the current production.

Here is the Email we received this morning:
“Current production is as follows: if you have a Sunseeker or an LE model which uses a standard convenience center, the Awning and The Awning lights will work with the ignition and parking brake off as long as the 12 volt power switch is turned on.

If you have a Forester with the LCI my Tablet system, the lights will work at any time as long as the 12 volt power switch is turned on. The awning motor will only function if the ignition is on and the parking brake is set. All units coming out of our factory after the middle of last year had this feature. This will not be deemed a warrantable repair as this was built as designed. I understand that it could be a bit of an inconvenience, but it is as designed. We will not cover this alteration under warranty.”

So........after all of our efforts, we either live with the current operation or put in a remote start.

Thank You;

Brian French
Old 05-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #97

It's not a "feature" it's an engineering design screw up and the design engineer that did it should be dealt with. It's their engineers and they should bite the bullet and make it right at no cost or at the least make available the corrective steps to take. Whatever the reason, it's the manufacturers responsibility to make it right. There's probably a production change in works at this time.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #98

I did get a positive response from engineering at Forest River, and the solution is to add a “multifunction module “ and a little wiring. Seems simple, however with the threat of future warranty denial if it is modified, I cannot take the chance. With 6 modules and 2 tablets, warranty coverage is a very important consideration.

Thank You;

Brian French
2019 3011DS
Old 05-01-2019, 11:46 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianfrench65 View Post
Greetings; after 4 months and 56 Email ‘s, our awning is wired properly as to the current production.

Here is the Email we received this morning:
“Current production is as follows: if you have a Sunseeker or an LE model which uses a standard convenience center, the Awning and The Awning lights will work with the ignition and parking brake off as long as the 12 volt power switch is turned on.

If you have a Forester with the LCI my Tablet system, the lights will work at any time as long as the 12 volt power switch is turned on. The awning motor will only function if the ignition is on and the parking brake is set. All units coming out of our factory after the middle of last year had this feature. This will not be deemed a warrantable repair as this was built as designed. I understand that it could be a bit of an inconvenience, but it is as designed. We will not cover this alteration under warranty.”

So........after all of our efforts, we either live with the current operation or put in a remote start.

Thank You;

Brian French
Brian,
Follow roderunner's post #82 that will take care of the issue and is completely and easily reversible is ever needed.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 05-01-2019, 08:21 PM   #100

They should take a survey and see how many people want all of this computerized mess or good old fashioned, simple switches.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, remote