Old 06-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #1

E450 Info

We just bought a 2009 Forest River Forester, E450 Ford engine. We got no data sheet about the Ford engine. What's the hp, torque foot lbs, should we drive with the tow-haul mode activated or not????

Old 06-23-2008, 12:13 AM   #2

Smile

By the way it's a Ford E450 V-10

Arizona Garry and Bobbi
2011 Rockwood 2604SS
2006 Ford F150 4x4
Arizona Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #3

Garry,
When we bought our 2006 Forester we didn't get a FORD owners/maintenance manual either. The RV dealer ended up ordering one for us, but you can download this from the FORD site. Go to www.fleet.ford.com, click on the 'maintenance tab' then click on 'Owner Manual'. They will ask you year, model, etc and then show you the link for your manual. I only activate the tow-haul when towing.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealeburg View Post
Garry,
When we bought our 2006 Forester we didn't get a FORD owners/maintenance manual either. The RV dealer ended up ordering one for us, but you can download this from the FORD site. Go to www.fleet.ford.com, click on the 'maintenance tab' then click on 'Owner Manual'. They will ask you year, model, etc and then show you the link for your manual. I only activate the tow-haul when towing.
Hope this helps.
ditto
but i would add, anytme your driving that heavy beast i would select the tow haul.

the above site is an excellent source of info, i use it alot as well
Old 07-17-2008, 12:28 AM   #5
Mostly lurker

Now why would you activate Tow/Haul unless climbing a long grade or descending one?

Normal driving utilizes the overdrive gear while in most cases in Tow/Haul you will find that the least amount acceleration will drop out of overdrive and increase the RPMs by about 200 or 300. Normal driving will always do the correct downshifts when reaching a small rise or when need arises to accelerate quickly. In driving this unit for about 30,000 miles by now I only put it in Tow/Haul when descending a long grade so that the downshifting when applying braking will occur. Accelerating a little will upshift most of the time. Once in a while need to deactivate Tow/Haul in order to upshift at the base a long down grade.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:13 AM   #6

I drive a 2004 crew F250 Powerstroke. Love the tow/haul feature but usually only use it down steep grades and up real long grades. This mode really makes long steep downgrades more safe and saves brakes, bigtime.
I am pulling a 30RLBS Wildcat 5th wheeler that is actually one of the first ones made in 2004 and sold as a 2005. It is actually nearly 34ft long. Keeping the tow/haul mode on all the time while hauling, burns too much fuel, I think. Doing this makes me be aware of engine RPM more when getting into any lugging. When I feel that happening, I'll push the Haul/tow button until I get back in a flat.

Frank
Old 09-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #7

Hi Garry
Just saw this post...were you able to get a owners manual? We have a 2008 Forester 3121 and received a owners manual with the unit. We only used the tow haul on long uphill and down hill...it does take a couple of times driving it getting use to how it shifts to hold you back on a steep down hill....but it does work great. So far our unit is ok...we did have the drive shift replaced...it was out of balance and caused a vribration at around 62 to 65mph...our local ford dealer handled the entire process we did not pay 1 dime. Other than that everything ok.
Tweeter 9lb Maltese
Dixie Border Collie
clymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:17 AM   #8
Mostly lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Garry View Post
We just bought a 2009 Forest River Forester, E450 Ford engine. We got no data sheet about the Ford engine. What's the hp, torque foot lbs, should we drive with the tow-haul mode activated or not????
Read the rest of this thread - where to download the manual and when you might want to use the tow/haul mode.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:58 PM   #9

Rubber seals on the slideouts

I have a 2006 2861 with two slideouts. The rubber seals on each side of the slideout won't stay in their tracks at the bottom of the seals. I haven't found a good 'tool' that will get them back on the guide tracks. I"ve been tempted to either nail the bottom or to find a good adhesive.

Oh, the rubber gasket on the outside of the rear window pulls out at three of the corners. I can only reseat them when the weather is really hot and they expand and are flexible. Again, I'm looking to put an adhesive on them before reseating.

Any thoughts on either of these problems?

Bob

Tags
forester