Old 02-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Plain Old Member

Engine Oil Capacity - 2012 V10

I know this is a great debate all over the internet, but I'm hoping for a little more specific info on here. Manual for our E450 chassis states oil capacity at 6 quarts. My class A with the V10 said 7 quarts. A previous 2001 F250 with the V10 said 7 quarts. I just changed the oil today. Chassis was manufacturered in March 2012, so I figured the oil was original and needed to go. Drained for several hours, changed the filter, put the 6 quarts in, ran for a little bit, let it sit for a while, checked the oil and it is barely over the low level on the hash marks. Anybody got some input on this? Wondering if it's really supposed to be 7 quarts. I've never doubted a manual until now. All other vehicles read full with the stated capacity, now this one reads low.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #2

My chassis is a 2011 and 6 quarts is right on for crankcase capacity, not including the filter. Usually the manual will say if the filter is included. Since I use 5 quart containers I don't have exact measurements but with the filter I usually need about 6 1/2 quarts.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Graduate Member

i have a 2860, ford, V10 and the auto store dudes said 7 qt. That makes my reading just at the top of high level mark.

Betcha the perfect amount is 6.5 - so 6 or 7 is acceptable.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Graduate Member

btw - what did you use for the first? I put in 1 quart Lucas Oil and 6 quarts Mobil 1.

Got another oil change coming up soon - in the next month or so, so I'm curious what you used.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #5

[QUOTE="BigJohnD"]I know this is a great debate all over the internet, but I'm hoping for a little more specific info on here. Manual for our E450 chassis states oil capacity at 6 quarts. My class A with the V10 said 7 quarts. A previous 2001 F250 with the V10 said 7 quarts. I just changed the oil today. Chassis
Old 02-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
btw - what did you use for the first? I put in 1 quart Lucas Oil and 6 quarts Mobil 1.

Got another oil change coming up soon - in the next month or so, so I'm curious what you used.

I use exactly what Ford recommends in the manual, Motorcraft 5-20 synthetic blend and Ford oil filter. Not so much because it says so in the manual but it is readily available and very reasonable costs at Walmart. Also my cars and truck use the same oil so everything is the same.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #7

I don't think its wise to garage blend oils going into a 70K truck or 100k+ motorhome. My 2003 V 10 used 6 quarts of 10-40 oil. The 2012 uses 7 quarts with filter, I did measure it and its correct. The newer engine has a added cooler over the oil filter, careful when removing the filter, the cooler damages easily. The change came when the engine was reworked for 3 valves/cyl and higher horsepower rating.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #8

Our 2011 Sunseeker Class C is on a 2010 Ford E450 chassis with the V-10. It has an oil cooler above the oil filter. The manual says the capacity is 6.0 quarts and recommends full synthetic 5W-20. The manual does not state if the 6 quarts is with or without changing the filter, but I have always changed the filter when I changed the oil and have always put in 6 quarts. The oil level is always at the full mark when I check it hot soon after an oil change.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Our 2011 Sunseeker Class C is on a 2010 Ford E450 chassis with the V-10. It has an oil cooler above the oil filter. The manual says the capacity is 6.0 quarts and recommends full synthetic 5W-20. The manual does not state if the 6 quarts is with or without changing the filter, but I have always changed the filter when I changed the oil and have always put in 6 quarts. The oil level is always at the full mark when I check it hot soon after an oil change.
Got me to look again but they must have made a change for 2011 since my manual clearly recommends synthetic blend in the section where adding and changing oil is discussed. Second choice as listed in the capacities section lists full synthetic as an option. So either could be used. It also says do not put any additives in the oil.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Plain Old Member

I just left 6 in it for now. I checked it again several hours later and it was a shade higher. It's about 3/4 up the hash marks. It's safe to run, so I'll run it a while like that and check often. My class A had that oil cooler outfit too, but manual said 7 quarts, which put it right on the full mark. My manual is in line with what RamblerGuy said. Doesn't specify with or without filter. I did call my local Ford dealer, and of course I get better input from this forum. They were hollering back and forth at each other asking if anybody knew. Geez. As for what I run, Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend. Matter a fact, I run it in everything except the boats. All lawnmowers, generators, pressure washers, ATV etc. I just vary the weight by what the equipment calls for. Motorcraft is actually a very good oil. Do a little research. My dad has owned ford products for years, always run the motorcraft oil, and has always put 200-300k miles on each vehicle without any problems.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote