Old 05-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #1

Extend Battery Isolation MGR 1 Hour Travel Charge

My coach batteries were not staying charged up on long trips to campsites and only limited re-charged on the way home. After much research and testing, I found that the BIM only allows the alternator to charge the coach batteries for 1 hour and not until the voltage drops to 12.7 volts.
So without stopping every hour, turning off the engine for 2 minutes to reset and turning on every light and fan, is there a way to extend the charging? In reading the literature on the BIM, it's to prevent over charging. I figure roof mounted solar may be one solution.
Here's the manual:
http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...anual-RevA.pdf

Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #2

I did find in the manual that it charges the engine battery off shore power and generator also. No need for a separate Battery Tender for the engine battery.

First photo shows no shoreline or generator power with engine off.
Second shows with shoreline power connected and converter charger is charging both engine and coach batteries because of the BIM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1743.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	108641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1742.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	108642  

Old 05-23-2016, 01:21 AM   #3

Sage, my coach and house batteries stay charged period. I've not had any issues in storage, at CGs or while driving. Could you have a short somewhere?
Old 05-23-2016, 01:49 AM   #4

Creativepart, everything is work the way it should. But the Battery Isolator Manager in the step well side compartment is programmed to only give a 1 hour charge while driving to prevent over charging the house batteries. When I stop for lunch or gas, it resets and gives another 1 hour charge. So on my long trips my house batteries aren't getting fully charged when I arrive home. You mentioned that you camp mostly with full hookups and mine is dry camping. That's the difference.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:52 AM   #5

It's nice that it's a bi-directional charger and shoreline or generator will also be charging the engine battery along with the house batteries.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #6

Called Precision Circuits for answer

Seems this is a new industry wide high tech advancement in battery monitoring and charging. This is designed to prevent over charging and boiling out. They are not designed to allow the alternator to fully charge the house battery. So if I am on a long drive to a dry camping site. My house batteries can drop down in voltage because of drain from fridge and other coach draw (mine draws 1.2amps). When I stop for gas or lunch, it will reset and if the voltage is 12.6v the alternator will charge the house batteries for 1 hour. To get the system to charge for another hour, the voltage has to be 12.6v or less. Turning on the lights and fan may do the trick.
Coming home from dry camping with batteries drained 40% will start charging the house batteries for1 hour. Again, stopping for lunch, gas or turning on the lights and fan will start another 1 hour charge cycle from the alternator.
Another solution they recommended was to run the generator while driving to charge the batteries or install solar on the roof for continuous daylight coach battery charging.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #7

Longer term charging

If you clip a lead from the terminal marked Dash Charge to the terminal marked Ignition it will hold in the relay bypassing the one hour timer. I have one just like that on the RV in my yard and I will try it to make sure.
Well it has been almost an hour and a half and it is still charging, but the relay is getting hot. Too hot to touch. I am not sure how hot it gets with a normal charge, but I know it doesn't apply full 12 volts to the coil, and the data sheet says it is 100 degrees cooler than the competition.

After reading the Precision Circuits Data sheet I see it states "if the BIM sees a long term charging of both batteries it will allow the batteries to remain connected and allow the charging system to do its job. Once the batteries have reached a Float Charge state for one hour, the BIM will isolate the battereis to prevent overcharging." Does yours not work this way? I keep my coach connected to power all the time so I can't tell if mine works that way of not.

Gary
Old 05-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garythelen View Post
If you clip a lead from the terminal marked Dash Charge to the terminal marked Ignition it will hold in the relay bypassing the one hour timer. I have one just like that on the RV in my yard and I will try it to make sure.
Well it has been almost an hour and a half and it is still charging, but the relay is getting hot. Too hot to touch. I am not sure how hot it gets with a normal charge, but I know it doesn't apply full 12 volts to the coil, and the data sheet says it is 100 degrees cooler than the competition.

After reading the Precision Circuits Data sheet I see it states "if the BIM sees a long term charging of both batteries it will allow the batteries to remain connected and allow the charging system to do its job. Once the batteries have reached a Float Charge state for one hour, the BIM will isolate the battereis to prevent overcharging." Does yours not work this way? I keep my coach connected to power all the time so I can't tell if mine works that way of not.

Gary
It states in the manual that the watts are much lower for the relay and when I checked it out with my multimeter, it showed 5.0 volts. I'm not going to risk a fire or burning out anything.
In the sentence "if the BIM sees a long term charging of both batteries it will allow the batteries to remain connected and allow the charging system to do its job." Says long term charging of both batteries. Usually the engine battery is fully charged, hence the BIM cuts the charging after 1 hour. I've not seen it go beyond that.
I'm going solar soon and it will keep everything charged as long as I don't drive at night or park under trees.

Tags
battery, travel