Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #1

External propane tank use.

When using external tank on my 2015 Sunseeker , if you hookup to the external propane connect(regulator installed and internal tank turned off), is there any internal plumbing to be done?? Want to be able to run furnace and cook off external tank.
Popcorn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Assuming that you're going to use a regulator on the external tank and connect to the low pressure fitting on the RV, then as long as you have the correct regulator, there is no more plumbing to be done. It will work just like the onboard tank does.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Assuming that you're going to use a regulator on the external tank and connect to the low pressure fitting on the RV, then as long as you have the correct regulator, there is no more plumbing to be done. It will work just like the onboard tank does.
True but one note. "External Connections" such as those for outside kitchen stove tops or BBQ's may not provide sufficient flow for a furnace. The Quick Disconnect fittings (assuming this is the external connection in question) only have to provide enough flow for a couple of burners (10,000 btu's max) and a BBW that consumes 10,000 btu's on average.

Furnaces can range from a low of 19-20 k btu's to well over 40,000 btu's.

Would be worthwhile to check the furnace requirements and flow rate for the fittings which often have small 1/4" orifices in them.

Not saying it couldn't work, just pointing out a potential issue if the furnace has a big appetite for "gas" while running.

Might be a good idea to consider tapping into the low pressure line and installing a 1/2" Quick Disconnect (with separate valve like most low pressure setups use) and use this larger line to feed the low pressure "main". Here's one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BK3JBC1...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The 1/2' QD will flow a lot more low pressure gas than the usual 1/4" QD setups for outside kitchen or BBQ. At 88,000 BTU/HR you could run almost all propane appliances at the same time with no fear of starving the furnace while running.

BTW, this only works if you have a separate regulator on the external tank. Just wanted to make sure that was clear.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:58 PM   #4

Quote:

Thanks!!! This will be a great help!!!
Old 11-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #5

I use an extend a stay for the external tank and it runs the furnace very well.

Was I supposed to use another regulator on the external tank? I thought it used the same as on the internal tank.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I use an extend a stay for the external tank and it runs the furnace very well.

Was I supposed to use another regulator on the external tank? I thought it used the same as on the internal tank.
The Extend-A-Stay hooks into the high pressure line between the existing tank and the regulator and therefore uses the onboard regulator, so you don't need a second regulator.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #7

[emoji108]
Old 11-26-2019, 05:21 PM   #8

X2 on the unit regulator!
Old 11-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #9

Quote:
The Extend-A-Stay hooks into the high pressure line between the existing tank and the regulator and therefore uses the onboard regulator, so you don't need a second regulator.

Thanks.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
True but one note. "External Connections" such as those for outside kitchen stove tops or BBQ's may not provide sufficient flow for a furnace. The Quick Disconnect fittings (assuming this is the external connection in question) only have to provide enough flow for a couple of burners (10,000 btu's max) and a BBW that consumes 10,000 btu's on average.

Furnaces can range from a low of 19-20 k btu's to well over 40,000 btu's.

Would be worthwhile to check the furnace requirements and flow rate for the fittings which often have small 1/4" orifices in them.

Not saying it couldn't work, just pointing out a potential issue if the furnace has a big appetite for "gas" while running.

Might be a good idea to consider tapping into the low pressure line and installing a 1/2" Quick Disconnect (with separate valve like most low pressure setups use) and use this larger line to feed the low pressure "main". Here's one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BK3JBC1...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The 1/2' QD will flow a lot more low pressure gas than the usual 1/4" QD setups for outside kitchen or BBQ. At 88,000 BTU/HR you could run almost all propane appliances at the same time with no fear of starving the furnace while running.

BTW, this only works if you have a separate regulator on the external tank. Just wanted to make sure that was clear.

I may have to rethink this. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2019, 10:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn11 View Post
I may have to rethink this. Thanks!
Best way might be to just add an extend-a-stay kit. That way everything will just tun off the external tank when you want and furnace, water heater, stove, etc, will all have as much propane as they need.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #12

External Propane

When I bought my Forester in 2016 I had the dealer put in a quick connect before the regulator so I could run with just an external tank if I needed to. I usually hook up the 20# propane tank when we park and run everything off that because it's easier to refill. I have never had a problem running the furnace and the stove at the same time. For my external grill I just disconnect the tank from the RV and run it off either one.
johnshoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank