Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2020, 10:09 AM   #1

Factory TPMS present on Ford Sunseeker?

I have a 2019 Ford E450 chassis with a Sunseeker built on it. I was looking into tire pressure monitoring and was investigating the existing features of the Ford chassis. I see the E450 owner’s manual describes a basic TPMS, but also says “if equipped”. I notice there is a tire warning icon on the instrument panel, but it does not light up when the key is first turned on. Am I correct in assuming that this chassis is not equipped with a factory TPMS?
Old 01-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #2

I do not believe that a TPMS is an option on any of the sunseekers/foresters.

Can anyone else confirm?
Old 01-18-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Am I correct in assuming that this chassis is not equipped with a factory TPMS?
Yes, that is correct. The discontinued single rear wheel E-Series vans had a OEM Ford TPMS. The dually cutaway cab version never did.
2021 F-150 4X2 SuperCrew Lariat 502A, 3.5L Powerboost Hybrid, 3.55 gears, Tow Technology Package, Tow Mirrors, 1,840# Cargo, 7,000# Tow, 7.2KW Pro Power, Sumo Springs, A.R.E. Z2 Topper

It is better to have too much truck than to have too much trailer.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #4

TPMS is only required by law for vehicles under 10,000 pounds GVRW
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:15 AM   #5

This is good information. Thank you for the replies.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:58 PM   #6

My Forester motorhome did not come with a TPMS system. But ever since I installed a tire pressure monitoring system, or TPMS as it is often referred to, on my first coach I was sold. A good system is not cheap but the safety factor alone is worth the investment. TPMS will warn you when a tire starts to get low on air pressure. A low tire will lead to a blowout if not corrected. Running tires with pressures too low will ruin the tires quickly. TPMS warns you. I carry an onboard Viair air compressor to add air anywhere, if my TPMS tells me I need air. I went with a Dill Air Internal sensor system, much like what comes as standard equipment on most new cars, and also includes a separate monitor display which reads each tire's pressure and warns you when it falls below a preset minimum or exceeds the safe maximum. I also had Les Schwab install solid one piece brass valves custom designed for the Ford E-450 from Duallyvalve.com to minimize leak problems. I highly recommend this setup.

2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrosecity View Post
My Forester motorhome did not come with a TPMS system. But ever since I installed a tire pressure monitoring system, or TPMS as it is often referred to, on my first coach I was sold. A good system is not cheap but the safety factor alone is worth the investment. TPMS will warn you when a tire starts to get low on air pressure. A low tire will lead to a blowout if not corrected. Running tires with pressures too low will ruin the tires quickly. TPMS warns you. I carry an onboard Viair air compressor to add air anywhere, if my TPMS tells me I need air. I went with a Dill Air Internal sensor system, much like what comes as standard equipment on most new cars, and also includes a separate monitor display which reads each tire's pressure and warns you when it falls below a preset minimum or exceeds the safe maximum. I also had Les Schwab install solid one piece brass valves custom designed for the Ford E-450 from Duallyvalve.com to minimize leak problems. I highly recommend this setup.

Thank you. That looks like a nice system. If I do a TPMS, it will be with internal sensors like that kit.

I’m a little confused with the photo showing the whole sensor and valve strapped inside the rim. The Shrader valve on the sensor remains internal, and instead the brass valve stems actually penetrate the rims?
Old 01-20-2020, 01:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Thank you. That looks like a nice system. If I do a TPMS, it will be with internal sensors like that kit.
I’m a little confused with the photo showing the whole sensor and valve strapped inside the rim. The Shrader valve on the sensor remains internal, and instead the brass valve stems actually penetrate the rims?
yeah it works very well. yes like in the image the shrader valves in the sensors are inside the rims attached via the bands. And the Duallyvalve stems are the ones coming thru the wheel. It's a bad idea to use extensions - they wind up leaking. The Duallyvalve stems are custom fit for the Ford E-450 wheels and stainless wheel cover inserts. It is the way to go believe me
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory, ford, sunseeker, tpms