Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 05:40 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 17
Cool fiberglass or rubber roof

we are looking at the coachman leprechaun and the forest river forster ,I'm not to sure but i think the coachman comes with a rubber roof,and the forest river a fiberglass roof. if you had your choice of roofs which one would you go with and why.
__________________

__________________
6thcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
sgtlm17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 826
I was in same dilemma. . Loved the interior of the coachmen concord but went with a forest river Forester. Final decision was fiberglass roof and overall a fit and finish and interior quality of a lot of little things. .
I still love the interior of the Concord but am very happy I went with the Forester. . This is my first rig with a fiberglass roof and I would never want tpo aka rubber again. . I now have now worries of rips or deterioration. No regrets.
__________________

__________________
2016 Forester GTS 2801QSF
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
Chief tinkerer
 
Gidyupgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 422
We were close to getting the Lep 317 when we looked at the 3010 Sunseeker, Forresters cousin. We went with it because the fiberglass roof is more durable, the underbelley is enclosed and we could get recliners and a 12cu ft 4 door refer with icemaker. The Forester is nice as well, but we were able to get a great deal on the Sunseeker. We are pleased.
__________________
Gary

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
RedLdr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thcav View Post
if you had your choice of roofs which one would you go with and why.
Fiberglass. For the same reasons as sgtlm17 said, no rips or tears. Or pulling loose from being stretched too tight. Fiberglass isn't perfect but I think it needs a lot less maintenance than rubber and should last longer.
__________________
Wayne
2017 Sunseeker GTS 2800 QSF
TOAD: 2016 Ford Edge Titanium FWD



RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
Richard
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Troy, OH
Posts: 10
Rubber vs Fiberglass roof?

Would someone please educate me on the difference between these two roof materials? I have a 2009 Rockwood Signature Ultra Light Mod 8313SS and would like to know what type of roof I have. Thanks, Richard
__________________
RPittenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:40 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9
Rubber roofs are garbage

Rubber roofs are nothing but trouble. Garbage. Great for the Mfgr, and cheap to supply and install with a built in obsolescence.
Just price what a rubber roof costs to replace, never mind the water damage that can result from a ripped or failing roof.
I would not touch any RV that does not have a fiberglass roof, which is getting harder to do, as most trailers are now using rubber exclusively.
The over all quality of new RV s seems to be getting worse than a few years ago.

2012 SunSeeker 3010 DS
__________________
brydle604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 2,402
Fiberglass for me !!! To much Maintenance on Rubber for me !!!
Because I am to old & to large to be working on a roof !!!
__________________
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brydle604 View Post
Rubber roofs are nothing but trouble. Garbage. Great for the Mfgr, and cheap to supply and install with a built in obsolescence.
Just price what a rubber roof costs to replace, never mind the water damage that can result from a ripped or failing roof.
I would not touch any RV that does not have a fiberglass roof, which is getting harder to do, as most trailers are now using rubber exclusively.
The over all quality of new RV s seems to be getting worse than a few years ago.

2012 SunSeeker 3010 DS
i have had nothing but rubber on my tt since i started camping 20 years ago,never had any trouble.1 roof i did repaint the tt i have now is 10 years old and no trouble,i have been reading about forest river fiberglass roofs ,15 pages of complaints about leaks over the top bunk and a lot of complaints are on newer class c,i would rather do a little work one every couple years then have a leak
__________________
6thcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thcav View Post
i have had nothing but rubber on my tt since i started camping 20 years ago,never had any trouble.1 roof i did repaint the tt i have now is 10 years old and no trouble,i have been reading about forest river fiberglass roofs ,15 pages of complaints about leaks over the top bunk and a lot of complaints are on newer class c,i would rather do a little work one every couple years then have a leak
X2!!!
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2!!!
x2!!! ?????
__________________

__________________
6thcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fiberglass, roo, roof

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 AM.