Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #1

Finally have water pressure at kitchen sink

I’ve been frustrated for quite a while by pitiful water pressure at the kitchen sink faucet. There’s good flow at the shower, toilet, bathroom sink and outside fixture. I had previously replaced the bathroom sink strainer because of lower flow but I couldn’t find anything that would fit the kitchen unit.

Whenever I removed the entire faucet head there was plenty of pressure with good flow. I was planning to replace the entire faucet head but as I looked into the top of it I noticed what appeared to be some sort of filter like I’d never seen before. It was recessed below the top edge and there didn’t appear any way to remove it. I saw what appeared to be a slot in the top with a hole to accept an allen wrench. Sure enough it can be removed with the appropriate allen tool.

After removing it it was obvious there is now way to disassemble it for cleaning blockage, etc. So, I reinstalled the head to the hose and immediately had normal pressure and flow. Here’s a picture of this little pest. I placed it next to a dime to give perspective to how small it is.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #2

Where was it installed in the faucet? Did you have to remove the entire assy to get at that restrictor?
Cantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #3

You, that's a low flow filter.
Marnenorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantdrive55 View Post
Where was it installed in the faucet? Did you have to remove the entire assy to get at that restrictor?
Just unscrew the faucet head where it joins the flexible “hose”. You’ll see the filter at the top of the head.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnenorden View Post
You, that's a low flow filter.
Really low flow. I can generate more flow during a visit to the men’s room.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:55 PM   #6

Many faucets, even household faucets come with these restrictors in the end of the faucet. I always remove them.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Many faucets, even household faucets come with these restrictors in the end of the faucet. I always remove them.
First time I’ve noticed one. This was at the beginning (entry) of the faucet. I hav seen “filters” at the faucet outlet that seemed to have flow restricting properties.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Ever since someone decided that the world was running out of fresh water legislation has been enacted to limit flow from faucets to less than 2.5 gallons per minute. Soon CA will limit flow to less than 1.8 gallons per minute.

Wont be long and we'll be be required to use one of those showers like we see in science fiction movies where you stand naked in your shower and are enveloped with a cloud of gas or dust that cleanses you

What's really ridiculous is how residential toilets have been limited in how much water you can use in a flush. Sometimes it takes three flushes to do the job and you end up using twice the water you would have used with an old fashioned toilet.

In my trailer I don't find the flow limiters to be totally objectionable as long as they don't clog. Helps me conserve tank water.

Biggest source of clogging material seems to be from the hot water heater as the anode deteriorates as designed.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #9

High Flow....Low Flow....does it really matter ??? I take a shower and uses 10 gals in say 5 minutes, so with a Low Flow, I take the same shower, still use 10 gals and it takes me 10 minutes. At a CG with low flow showers...yes...I do notice that I take longer to lather and rinse...(repeat if necessary) had to toss that in.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #10

That is not a flow restrictor or a filter. It is a check valve. They are placed inside of the spray head to prevent backflow/siphonage should the spray head be left in a full sink where any form of negative pressure could cause the water in the sink to flow back into the fresh water system. They can be found in places other than the spray head as well.

While they may restrict flow, that is not their purpose.

Bruce
Old 02-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
High Flow....Low Flow....does it really matter ??? I take a shower and uses 10 gals in say 5 minutes, so with a Low Flow, I take the same shower, still use 10 gals and it takes me 10 minutes. At a CG with low flow showers...yes...I do notice that I take longer to lather and rinse...(repeat if necessary) had to toss that in.

What do you do for the extra 3 minutes? Stand and enjoy the heat?

I timed one of my showers once. One minute of wetting down, lathering up, and one minute of rinsing. Best guess was less than 5 gallons of water used.

I grew up on a farm that at first had a shallow well that went dry in the summer. My Dad, a Navy Vet from WWII, taught us at a very early age to be stingy with water.

Eventually he had a deep well drilled and we had MORE THAN ENOUGH water. Well was 120 feet deep and water rose to within 10' of well head.

We still followed our water miser practices only not as strict and they carried on in my RV travels.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #12

You might notice that your faucet may drip for a little while after you turn it off, now that you have removed that check valve. Some do and some don’t, but they usually do. All it is, is the water in your hose that was previously kept back due to that check valve, is now draining out. Nothing to worry about.

Bruce
Old 02-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Really low flow. I can generate more flow during a visit to the men’s room.
You're a better man than I!!

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:27 PM   #14
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Ever since someone decided that the world was running out of fresh water legislation has been enacted to limit flow from faucets to less than 2.5 gallons per minute. Soon CA will limit flow to less than 1.8 gallons per minute.

Wont be long and we'll be be required to use one of those showers like we see in science fiction movies where you stand naked in your shower and are enveloped with a cloud of gas or dust that cleanses you

What's really ridiculous is how residential toilets have been limited in how much water you can use in a flush. Sometimes it takes three flushes to do the job and you end up using twice the water you would have used with an old fashioned toilet.

In my trailer I don't find the flow limiters to be totally objectionable as long as they don't clog. Helps me conserve tank water.

Biggest source of clogging material seems to be from the hot water heater as the anode deteriorates as designed.
Mike if its taking 3 flushes, you need to eat more bran!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, pressure, sink, water