Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
Sunseeker

Fire in the Hole-Sunseeker 3170DS

I’ve had this RV for two+ years, taken it on few trips, the longest just last month Florida to Nebraska and return. Sitting on my porch yesterday, I heard a sizzling noise. Looking our, there was a flame, sparking shooting a foot out of the shore power receptacle I installed when we first got the RV (120 v., 30 amp, 10 ga. wire). Before I could get out to the coach, the breaker had tripped and I had a very scorched, melted plug. On our trip last month, at two different campgrounds, the campground power peg breaker tripped when using the A/C. Fortunately, I was able to access the the power peg of the next door camp site and the problem went away. I assumed that my site breaker was weak from age/use. I noticed my shore power plug was warm(not hot) when pulled to change power pegs. Back to yesterday, I checked every where in the RV for scorching, burning smells.....nothing. Gen. fired up, everything worked as usual, lights, slides, a/c, etc. Could the plug itself have let go internally? That’s where the damage occurred, at the plug only. Anyone have any ideas, insight? Thanks in advance, Steve
wingunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
Retired Old Fart

Were the blades on the plug oxidized? Also was it a molded on plastic plug or a plug that is not one solid rubber/plastic piece? If it's not a molded on plug, and had screw terminals it's possible one of the screws had worked loose and you had a dead short.

Since you had similar issues at a campground and then at home, it sounds like an issue with your cord or plug as that is the common factor.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingunder View Post
I’ve had this RV for two+ years, taken it on few trips, the longest just last month Florida to Nebraska and return. Sitting on my porch yesterday, I heard a sizzling noise. Looking our, there was a flame, sparking shooting a foot out of the shore power receptacle I installed when we first got the RV (120 v., 30 amp, 10 ga. wire). Before I could get out to the coach, the breaker had tripped and I had a very scorched, melted plug. On our trip last month, at two different campgrounds, the campground power peg breaker tripped when using the A/C. Fortunately, I was able to access the the power peg of the next door camp site and the problem went away. I assumed that my site breaker was weak from age/use. I noticed my shore power plug was warm(not hot) when pulled to change power pegs. Back to yesterday, I checked every where in the RV for scorching, burning smells.....nothing. Gen. fired up, everything worked as usual, lights, slides, a/c, etc. Could the plug itself have let go internally? That’s where the damage occurred, at the plug only. Anyone have any ideas, insight? Thanks in advance, Steve
Yes!
I've seen many a plug melted (especially moulded) and everything else OK.
You can install an aftermarket plug, (be sure to buy a QUALITY plug) or replace the shore cord.

Also make SURE to check the receptacle on the side of the R/V and its mating connector and where the shore power wiring connects to it and the power distribution box (breaker box) in the R/V.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
Sunseeker

The plug is the molded type, solid rubber. I did notice in the past that the plug blades had some scorching/burned areas on them, but not excessive? My shore power cord is hardwired into the coach, is not removable except internally in the converter itself. All the damage occurred just to the plug. I’m going to cut the plug off and split the plug and see what may have happen to cause my problem. Hopefully a new plug will solve my issue??
Old 10-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
CGK
Camping with Labs

Taking you at your word that you installed a 120 volt (not 240 volt) 30 amp 10 gauge wire receptacle. Anything else could be the culprit at that power pedestal; but would obviously not explain the campsite scenario. A major power surge could potentially have caused that sparking, but again it most likely doesn't explain the campground situation. The plug is probably the easy starting point for your troubleshooting, and it couldn't hurt to install a new one (as long as it is installed correctly and appropriate for the application); but I am curious why everything would be fine when plugged-in to the next campsite's power pedestal and also to your generator, and why a 2-year old plug would bite the dust without a significant event helping it along. I guess if it's a loose wire in the plug, there could be intermittent contact, but it seems odd. Are you using an EMS? Mine has fault codes that might give the user a hint as to what is going on (and it would also cut power to the unit if there was a reason to do so, hence helping to avoid damage to the unit). If it's not plug, you'll need to track the power throughout the unit, paying particular attention to the appliances with a heavy electrical draw. Check them in the converter box and at the plug. I would think you'd see something at the power connection, given the "light show" you witnessed.
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Were the blades on the plug oxidized? Also was it a molded on plastic plug or a plug that is not one solid rubber/plastic piece? If it's not a molded on plug, and had screw terminals it's possible one of the screws had worked loose and you had a dead short.

Since you had similar issues at a campground and then at home, it sounds like an issue with your cord or plug as that is the common factor.
Will oxidation on the blades cause a problem?
GodsGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #7

Receptacle, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingunder View Post
The plug is the molded type, solid rubber. I did notice in the past that the plug blades had some scorching/burned areas on them, but not excessive? My shore power cord is hardwired into the coach, is not removable except internally in the converter itself. All the damage occurred just to the plug. I’m going to cut the plug off and split the plug and see what may have happen to cause my problem. Hopefully a new plug will solve my issue??
Think seriously about replacing the receptacle on your house, too.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #8
Sunseeker

Yes, it’s wired 120v, 30 amp service. I’ve owned the coach 2 years, but it’s a 2014, so the plug is 5 years old, not two. EMS? Not familiar with that?? There was no appreciable load on the coach when this occurred, just the converter keeping the coach battery happy. No appliances, lights, etc. in use.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #9

was having similar issues a couple of years ago. Cut off the old plug and installed a new plug. Haven't had a problem since.
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:42 PM   #10

What service? "Fire in the Hole" is not something a civilian would say
Old 10-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #11
Sunseeker

U.S. Army😊
Old 10-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #12
Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Yes!
I've seen many a plug melted (especially moulded) and everything else OK.
You can install an aftermarket plug, (be sure to buy a QUALITY plug) or replace the shore cord.

Also make SURE to check the receptacle on the side of the R/V and its mating connector and where the shore power wiring connects to it and the power distribution box (breaker box) in the R/V.
Just opened up the old plug, and it appears the ground shorted across the hot, or neutral. Kinda hard to tell as everything in there was pretty much toast?
Old 10-25-2019, 03:37 PM   #13
Sunseeker

Just want to thank everyone for their help yesterday with my plug issue. Happy to say, I installed a new plug today and it seems to be ok. I say “seems” to be ok, because I’m not sure how long it will be before I trust that fix? Time will tell I guess��
Old 10-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #14
CGK
Camping with Labs

Congratulations on what was probably the easiest, least expensive solution to your problem - it would appear your initial analysis (and that of many of the forum contributors) was correct. As Larry mentioned, you might consider changing the 30A outlet in your power pedestal, as well....or at least check the wiring to ensure the fireworks didn't cause any damage there.
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:36 PM   #15
Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Congratulations on what was probably the easiest, least expensive solution to your problem - it would appear your initial analysis (and that of many of the forum contributors) was correct. As Larry mentioned, you might consider changing the 30A outlet in your power pedestal, as well....or at least check the wiring to ensure the fireworks didn't cause any damage there.
I did indeed check the receptacle wiring and it had no damage, thank goodness😊

Tags
3170, sunseeker