Old 10-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #1

First oil change questions

I don't want to get into a discussion about what type of oil to use.
My questions are can we still do our own oil and filter changes and not affect the warranty? I have always done my own at home and have the equipment to do so. With my 2004 Winnebago, I just kept the receipts and logged in the miles an appropriate info in the manuals maintenance section.
Next question is when to do the first oil change? I did my first oil and filter change at 3,500 miles give or take on my old winnebago. Looks like the Ford manual says 7,500 for oil changes. what do you do?

Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #2

Not sure about the warranty. I have mine done at a shop.

Our Chevy uses Dexos oil and the oil life indicator on the dash agrees with roughly 7500 miles driven for my unit. I'm comfortable staying with 7500 miles.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:20 PM   #3

Did my own at 5000 with filter that will do for warranty if you keep receipts and log also generator at 20 hrs and keep receipts again
Old 10-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #4

I assume we take the RV to a Ford Dealer for Oil Service? Or does it go to the RV Dealership?

Same for Generator service? Does it go to the RV Dealer or to an Onan dealer?
Old 10-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

As long as your owners manual does not specifically say you have to take it to a Ford dealer I'd do it my self as you mentioned or take any where and keep receipts and record mileage. I don't think any manufactures say you have to bring it to them but they would like you to. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:24 PM   #6

Have done my own oil/filter changes since I was a kid (66 now) and will continue to do so as long as I can squiggle underneath.
As long as you keep your receipts and log your milage, date, and what you used, your good to go.
Lots of opinions as to when or what milage to change, and I'll never argue with another as to good or bad...it's their rig.
Personally, I changed oe oil/filter at 1500 miles, and change it every 5000 miles, give or take a few hundred if I'm on the road. I use either Mobil I or Penzoil synthetic and a Ford/Motorcraft filter.
If you don't drive that much in a year, and are going to put it up for the winter, fresh oil and filter change before you put it up. Never store it for a long period like during winter months with old oil/filter.
I don't care a fart if I'm changing it more often than required, nor do I pay attention to others who let it go to the "recommended" milage. These rigs come pretty much loaded out weight wise from the factory, and are put under "hard use" everytime we run down the road. Spending a few extra bucks earlier than called for, to me, is worth it.
Grumpy
Old 10-14-2015, 07:28 PM   #7

I'm going to do mine at 3000 miles - at least for the first oil change. The engine has had enough time to break in so getting any possible shavings or left over bits of metal from the manufacturing process out is my primary reason. I know, the engines are clean while assembled - just like FR products don't have any defects! I'm also going to change the rear diff lube too. Same reason, there's going to be some metal grit in there from manufacturing and breaking in.

As long as you keep your receipts and record your mileage when you change your oil, you're good to go with the warranty. Ford/Chevy/Mercedes and whoever else makes RV chassis can set the rules for when the oil gets changed to preserve the warranty. But, they can't legally require you to go to their dealerships to do so. The federal Magnuson-Moss Act says so. Unless...they're paying for the service, then they can require you go to them. But if you do, it's not costing you anything. My wife got free lifetime oil changes on her Subaru Outback when she bought it. Because of that she has to take it to the dealer, but it doesn't cost her a dime. They still try to pull the "you need a new air filter, we'll rotate your tires for you...as long as you pay" every time she goes and I always tell her to say NO. I can do all that a lot cheaper than Subarus.

Interpretations of Magnuson Moss Warranty Act | The Center for Auto Safety

700.10 Section 102(c).
(a) Section 102(c) prohibits tying arrangements that condition coverage under a written warranty on the consumer's use of an article or service identified by brand, trade, or corporate name unless that article or service is provided without charge to the consumer.
(b) Under a limited warranty that provides only for replacement of defective parts and no portion of labor charges, section 102(c) prohibits a condition that the consumer use only service (labor) identified by the warrantor to install the replacement parts. A warrantor or his designated representative may not provide parts under the warranty in a manner which impedes or precludes the choice by the consumer of the person or business to perform necessary labor to install such parts.
(c) No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performance by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb - Bridgewater, NH & Delray Beach, FL
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #8

5000 is about what I average on my trucks in a year so that is a perfect mileage for me if I went to 10,000 then I would do it then once a year what ever mileage as long as it is not over 10,000 miles a year motor craft everything
Old 10-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #9

Thanks, will change it now.

Thanks for all the posts. I have 3,100 miles on the Forester and 2,300 were for delivery. I figured the breaking period and believe it's time to change it. Will do it tomorrow. I crawled underneath and found some factory installed zerk fittings, I may hold off until the second oil change and then give them a very light shot of grease. You over grease and break the boot and you've got problems.
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #10

Oil change

At the rally in Goshen this past Aug. At a Ford seminar we were told to change oil every 5,000 mile. Even if you use full synthetic. That was for my 2014