Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #1

Smile First Time RVer Question

We will be taking delivery of our first RV, a 2005 Forest River Forester, in about a week. I have a question for you. We are planning on picking up our daughters and take them to see their brother around Thanksgiving and it will probably be colder out then it is today. Can I run the furnace while we are driving so the girls don't get cold? If so, how? I've read about not having your propane on so I'm wondering is it possible to keep the coach heated without using propane. Can I run the furnace by turning on the Generator? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS
toddlafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #2

Oh you will be more confused shortly. Many here will tell you never drive with your propane on etc.etc.etc. The other half will say it's fine and was designed to do so. For example your fridge runs on propane and that's how you run it when moving. Me personally, i have always run with propane on while rig is on road. I am cautious about fueling up. Always turn off appliances prior to refueling.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #3

You don't need to run the generator to run the LP furnace. It runs entirety on the 12 volt system. While you are driving, the chassis alternator supplies 12 volts to the coach batteries, and thereby to the furnace. When you are plugged in, the convertor converts 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC, supplying the coach and charging the batteries. If you are parked with no electrical hookup, the coach batteries supply 12 volts. How long they will do it is another question with lots of conditional answers.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #4

I have run with the furnace on many times to keep the coach warm. I have also run with the generator running as well.
No problem.
naysmitj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #5

To repeat, turn off all appliances including furnace and fridge when refueling.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #6

Thanks & an Additional Question

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate your help. A followup question. To run the A/C in the coach during the summer while driving, will that require running the Generator?
toddlafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlafond View Post
Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate your help. A followup question. To run the A/C in the coach during the summer while driving, will that require running the Generator?
Yes, if you want to run your roof mount A/C while driving you will need to run your generator.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #8

If you're fueling up with diesel then fumes are not an issue.
8288WS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #9
KAS

Quote:
We will be taking delivery of our first RV, a 2005 Forest River Forester, in about a week. I have a question for you. We are planning on picking up our daughters and take them to see their brother around Thanksgiving and it will probably be colder out then it is today. Can I run the furnace while we are driving so the girls don't get cold? If so, how? I've read about not having your propane on so I'm wondering is it possible to keep the coach heated without using propane. Can I run the furnace by turning on the Generator? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS
The easiest would be to run the generator and an electric heater. This way you don't use up your propane. The generator doesn't use much gasoline which is much easier to replace than propane. And at the same time you can also run your refrigerator on electricity and save additional propane.
Depending on the size of your MH and the weather, your cab heater may even be sufficient and you won't need additional heat.
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:08 PM   #10

The Cummings/Onan spec sheet for the 4000 watt generator in our Sunseeker states the gasoline consumption is 0.5 gallons per hour at half load and 0.7 gallons per hour at full load. One space heater on high (1500 watts - 5100 BTU's per hour) plus other miscellaneous loads will be about half load for the generator.

You can compare that to the propane needed for the furnace. Overall, the refrigerator doesn't use much propane.

As a hint to a new owner, on our Sunseeker, the convertor is on the same circuit as some of the receptacles. Sometimes the convertor load added to an electric heater on high would trip the 15 amp breaker. Also, the electric element in the water heater is 1500 watts, or about 12 amps.

Although the water heater is on its own breaker, the total load with an electric heater and the water heater, added to other loads, can trip your 30 amp main breaker, or the breaker on the generator, or the shore line breaker if you are hooked up. You may need to turn the water heater electric element off if you are using an electric space heater.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:17 PM   #11

You shouldn't need the water heater while driving. Also, lap blankets and legs inside sleeping bags do wonders for keeping warm.

Forester MBS 2401R
Old 10-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #12

Quote:
If it were me,,, I would tell the girls to ware some cold weather gear !!!
LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #13
Radioman

First Time RVer Question

I see a bigger problem here. There's been no information as to what you are towing. A TT or a 5th wheel. You cannot have occupants in a TT while you are towing. With a 5th wheel you can. But I would suggest some kind of communication device in case the occupants in the 5th wheel have some sort of a problem.
Yuba City, CA. 95993
bjlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #14

A Forester is a Class C motor home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlyons View Post
I see a bigger problem here. There's been no information as to what you are towing. A TT or a 5th wheel. You cannot have occupants in a TT while you are towing. With a 5th wheel you can. But I would suggest some kind of communication device in case the occupants in the 5th wheel have some sort of a problem.
No way in the world would I allow someone to ride in a towed trailer no matter the configuration.

I do not recall seeing seatbelts (required by law?) in any trailer.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #16

Hey Guys the OP is talking about a Motorhome not a trailer.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:01 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlyons View Post
The OP said they own a Forester.
They started this thread in the Forester sub-forum, in the Motorhome section.

Not sure what else they can do so you would would know what kind of RV they have.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
No way in the world would I allow someone to ride in a towed trailer no matter the configuration.

I do not recall seeing seatbelts (required by law?) in any trailer.
Can not ride in any trailer kind here in PA unless it is a semi truck fifth wheel. Then it needs comms to the cab. Forgot..

Buses that are doubles and such are ok (some have trailers for more capacity).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #19
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Can not ride in any trailer kind here in PA unless it is a semi truck fifth wheel. Then it needs comms to the cab. Forgot..

Buses that are doubles and such are ok (some have trailers for more capacity).

Edit: welcome. Enjoy the ride here, lots of good info and sometimes conflicting info. Just remember take the best and leave the rest...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:20 AM   #20
Love My Sunseeker

Although I have never ridden as a passenger in my RV, I find that the heat from the front console is enough to provide heat to the rest of the RV while in motion. I know this because I have stopped at rest stops to take naps and was quite comfortable.

And I'm from the DON'T HAVE YOUR PROPANE ON while in motion.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time