Old 03-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #1

First trip in the Forester 3011

After a pop-up, hybrid, and travel trailer, we decided to make things a bit easier and get a class C. We looked at a zillion of them at the Hershey show and really liked the Forester, ordering one about a month later.

Before we left, I added Hellwig sway bars in front and rear. I purchased a 5 Star tuner, but they do not currently have any tunes for 2017 chassis so that will be a later review. I also added a Scangauge E so my lovely co-pilot can obsess on the estimated distance to empty numbers

As far as the V-10 with the 6 speed, I was very happy with its power & responsiveness. No trouble merging, passing, or maintaining speed. I was driving on the flattest part of the planet so I'll probably still keep the 5 Star.

We went about 5 hours to visit my son at college and stayed at the local state park like we usually do. It was so bloody cold (temps overnight below 20F) that I decided not to dewinterize then rewinterize to come home.

On the way down, we had steady 15MPH winds gusting to 20-ish from the west. Man, this thing's a handful to drive with strong crosswinds. My diesel with the Pro Pride hitch drove like it was on rails. More R&D is needed to make the C easier to drive.

For low speed maneuvering, I found the C far easier than my 56' long truck & trailer. The combination of the shorter overall length along with backup cameras made it so much easier to move around shopping centers and get out of the "Hey, there's no room for RVs here" parking lots.

Once at the campground, I pulled into a spot, hopped out and hit the auto level button. Did a bit of tweaking using a spirit level and then I plugged into electric. I wandered around outside for several minutes, sure that I had missed something in the set up. No truck to unhitch, hitch to remove, truck to park, stuff to get out of truck, etc. To put it succinctly, motorhomes are awesome to set up!!!

The My RV panel worked well. The phone interface is a bit annoying, requiring a PIN entry to reconnect every time. It would be super darn cool if the My RV would act as a bridge to a campground's Wi-fi but that's not in the cards according to Lippert.

The furnace worked well, the microwave-convection oven's a bit of a head scratcher, and the mattress was comfy. About the only "quality" issue I've found was 3 or 4 handfuls of broken safety glass under the sofa. I guess a window was broken in manufacturing.

We leave for Charleston SC in about three weeks. Here's hoping the weather warms up enough to flush out the pink stuff and try out the plumbing.

I think once I have the steering kinks worked out, I may even be promoted to the right hand seat on this next trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome Sm.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	131244  

Old 03-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #2

Glad it went well for you! We've got the same model just in a 2016. Did the same front and rear sway upgrade along with a trac bar. The upgrades seem to be worth it but we have not done a long drive in windy conditions yet. There are two things left that I may still do, the first being replacing the stabilizer with a self centering model which may help with windy conditions and the second are the front shocks to help smooth out the bumps up front.

Good luck!

PS. I do like the paint on the front cab hood. Ours is white even though we had the full paint option.

newRVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #3

Thanks for posting your review! Picking ours up hopefully in mid April and looking forward to the C life ! We also grew from tents, PUs, Hybrid, TT.......and here we are are LOL !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #4

Congrats ! That is one nice lookin camper.

Happy Trails!
Old 03-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #5

Most E450's need to have the front end realigned after a few thousand miles. The previous Forest River Class C rep who participated in this forum said the front ends seem to settle in after a few thousand miles and if you realign it then it stays okay. Search this forum for previous threads about alignment. He recommended specific settings.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:32 PM   #6

Nice looking rig. It will handle better with an alignment. There are specs on this forum which will require replacing the front bushing so the camber, I think, can be brought to spec.
Enjoy Charleston.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:52 PM   #7
Citrus County, Fl.

FR will reimburse for the alignment as long as it is done within 3 months of purchase.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:26 PM   #8

Nice looking rig! The hellwig upgrade is great (and so is the 5 star tune), but definitely get an alignment and it's worth swapping out the shocks & steering stabilizer. I went with Bilstein HD for both, but there are fancier stabilizer options too. Like the sways, the factory parts are just not up to handling a vehicle this heavy.
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep View Post
Nice looking rig! The hellwig upgrade is great (and so is the 5 star tune), but definitely get an alignment and it's worth swapping out the shocks & steering stabilizer. I went with Bilstein HD for both, but there are fancier stabilizer options too. Like the sways, the factory parts are just not up to handling a vehicle this heavy.
X2
newRVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
Chief tinkerer

mbutts, as NewRVer mentioned, a rear track bar will tame the tail wag and something like the reflex steering stabilizer combined with an alignment will all but eliminate the constant micro adjustments you have to make to maintain your lane. The E450 is a great truck, but these suspension improvements allows it to carry that house on its back. If you research the Jayco Redhawk, Grayhawk class C suspension setup there are good explanations on why. Very nice rig. Congrats and welcome!

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester