Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #81

He said there's an adjustment bolt on the steering box that can tighten or loosen the steering. I don't know more.
Russmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #82

The adjuster bolt on the steering box can be adjusted to alleviate any excess play in the main steering box shaft and pitman arm. There is a fine line there between tightening it too much (steering won't return to center) and too little. (excessive slop in steering wheel- must turn too much before the wheels will actually pivot)
There should be some play. Minimum.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:02 AM   #83

Thanks. I received the Safe-T-Plus and am going to try to get over to Bob's early next week to have it installed. I'm gong to urge them to drive it with me on the freeway to really feel the issue, and probably have him tighten that back up a bit, depending on how it feels.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #84

Here's some follow-up: About two weeks later, Bob was finally able to squeeze me in in the afternoon to install the Safe-T-Plus. After some initial wrangling (he didn't have the instructions and had to call them), they got it installed and sent me on my way. Before I left, since I had read about it, I asked him doesn't he have to drive it to center the mechanism? He said he didn't have time since it was late in the day. He told ME how to do it. I was less than pleased because I consider that part of the job I paid him for. Nevertheless, I drove it out (pulled hard left) and spent the next day adjusting it on the side of the highway till it held center. After all of that work, totaling probably $1000, I see maybe 50% at most improvement in the wandering issue. I still think that when he installed the tie rods, "loosening" the bolt on the steering box was questionable. It still feels like there's quite a bit of play in the steering wheel. Unfortunately, getting to his shop from where I live is over an hour drive and I work weekdays - not convenient to keep revisiting this. If I have a day off, I may try to get over there again but I'm still disappointed that the two times I was there, they never went out to drive it on the highway and see what I was talking about. I like the guy, but my opinion of the work is still up in the air.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmd View Post
Here's some follow-up: About two weeks later, Bob was finally able to squeeze me in in the afternoon to install the Safe-T-Plus. After some initial wrangling (he didn't have the instructions and had to call them), they got it installed and sent me on my way. Before I left, since I had read about it, I asked him doesn't he have to drive it to center the mechanism? He said he didn't have time since it was late in the day. He told ME how to do it. I was less than pleased because I consider that part of the job I paid him for. Nevertheless, I drove it out (pulled hard left) and spent the next day adjusting it on the side of the highway till it held center. After all of that work, totaling probably $1000, I see maybe 50% at most improvement in the wandering issue. I still think that when he installed the tie rods, "loosening" the bolt on the steering box was questionable. It still feels like there's quite a bit of play in the steering wheel. Unfortunately, getting to his shop from where I live is over an hour drive and I work weekdays - not convenient to keep revisiting this. If I have a day off, I may try to get over there again but I'm still disappointed that the two times I was there, they never went out to drive it on the highway and see what I was talking about. I like the guy, but my opinion of the work is still up in the air.
I will mention it to Bob when I see him.
Who did the work? He does have a new guy there.
I think he is trying to "semi retire" and turn everything over to Matt.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
I will mention it to Bob when I see him.
Who did the work? He does have a new guy there.
I think he is trying to "semi retire" and turn everything over to Matt.
I don't recall who installed the stabilizer but the first time I'm pretty sure it was Matt. Don't get me wrong, I think they were knowledgeable, very nice and worked hard but I was just more than a little surprised (irked) when there was no mention or offer made to go out and drive it with me so they could actually feel what we were trying to fix. Or that they didn't drive it and center the stabilizer after it was installed, leaving that to me. Didn't sit right.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmd View Post
I don't recall who installed the stabilizer but the first time I'm pretty sure it was Matt. Don't get me wrong, I think they were knowledgeable, very nice and worked hard but I was just more than a little surprised (irked) when there was no mention or offer made to go out and drive it with me so they could actually feel what we were trying to fix. Or that they didn't drive it and center the stabilizer after it was installed, leaving that to me. Didn't sit right.
I thought they always test drove them- especially with a caster adjustment or a center steer stabilizer. They can always pull the first time out.
Strange- not like them.

FYI- I hit mine right on the mark first setting when I installed the Roadmaster- no pull. There is a trick to it.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #88

Russmd. sorry to hear you had all that trouble. What was the $1,000 for, alignment, tie rods and installation of the Safe-T-Plus? Or was the Safe-T-Plus included? How do you like the Safe-T-Plus? Like I mentioned in prior posts, I removed my Roadmaster Reflex and after the tie rod replacement found that it self centers enough for me without it. Only have a Bilstein stabilizer there now.
Bob did my alignment back last December and I really haven't driven the RV since June. Next trip is to Yosemite early November. Hope all is still fine and I won't have to bring it in and hope he honors his 1 year warranty.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #89

Hi Sage. I paid $700 and change for the inner and outer tie rods and for him to adjust camber/caster etc. I then drove it for a couple of weeks before the SafeTPlus was installed. A little better but not much. I bought the SafeTplus myself and paid him $75 to install. I like the SafeTPlus although the only thing I have to compare it to is the factory stabilizer. Once I got it centered (as I said, did myself by trial and error on the side of the freeway which I was not happy about), it seems to hold me a little tighter to center and decreases side motion with passing trucks. It still feels, however, that I have excess play in the wheel so I have to provide more constant steering wheel input than I would expect and have felt in other vehicles. I just wish, and expected, that Bob would have had his guy drive it with me on the freeway to feel what I was experiencing. At no time did he do or mention that. Matt only drove it up and down the street outside their shop for about 5 minutes after the first job. He told me to call or come back if it needed more work but I don’t have the time or ability to keep driving all the way there that often - after two visits, I was hoping he’d have had a handle on it.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #90

Russmd, the price for the tie rods was the same I paid. I know after Matt changed out the tie rods and realigned it with higher caster, I have no wandering and holds a straight track for 4-8 seconds without adjustment. I know how it feels to constantly steering.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #91

I’m jealous, didn’t get the same result unfortunately. I’m back and forth every couple of seconds. When I can, I’ll try to get back there one more time and insist that we go for a drive. I appreciate everyone’s help.

Tags
ford