Old 02-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #1

Ford E450 Engine Knocking

This is a pretty new MH (Forester 2801) with about 11,000 miles and we are getting more and more engine knocking sounds. Is this anything to be concerned about or take into the shop? Engine runs just fine (no misses, same power as always) but the knocking is annoying particularly during acceleration. It does seem to back off a little once we've been running a couple of hours or more.

I've alternated Regular fuel and Extra fuel fill-ups trying to go from 86/87 octane to 88/89...but that really didn't make a difference.

Thanks for the input!

Days Camped 2019 - 50 and counting
Days Camped 2018 - 49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
Usually Confused Member

When you say it’s knocking is it a lower pitch sound like a piston slap/knock? When you say you’ve tried higher octane fuel does that mean the sound is a pre-detonation sound you can get from bad fuel or advanced ignition timing?

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:59 PM   #3

I would go to an automotive suppies store and get Seafoam fuel treatment. One bottle (16 oz ) for every 15 gals of estimated gas in the tank. Get on the highway and drive at least 50 miles. If that doesn't solve you issue i would find a reputable repair shop and have them check it. It could be a cheap repair.
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #4

Another question, does the knocking change w/ engine rpm? and if your RV is less than 5 yrs old , take it to a shop It should be under warranty. the Ford power train is cover for 5 yrs 60k miles.
2016 3011ds
No-Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
When you say itís knocking is it a lower pitch sound like a piston slap/knock? When you say youíve tried higher octane fuel does that mean the sound is a pre-detonation sound you can get from bad fuel or advanced ignition timing?
The knocking is that typical metallic "tinging" sound...typically when I am accelerating roughly between 30-60 mph. I've been though 15-20 tanks of gas (at least) so don't think it is just bad gas or it would have finally gone away, right?

Sounds like it is something I should get checked out based on the responses so far...thanks!

Days Camped 2019 - 50 and counting
Days Camped 2018 - 49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I would defiantly take it in. Being a 2018 should be covered under Ford. Sounds like a timing issue and fuel pre detonating causing a pinging sound which would sound like a knock. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 67
Days camped 2019 30
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #7
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkRVHog View Post
The knocking is that typical metallic "tinging" sound...typically when I am accelerating roughly between 30-60 mph. I've been though 15-20 tanks of gas (at least) so don't think it is just bad gas or it would have finally gone away, right?

Sounds like it is something I should get checked out based on the responses so far...thanks!
I had the same problem with mine. I had taken the 450 to a dealer for oil change and had them look at it. They immediately said it was a bad pully bearing and they could get to it in three weeks. I thought they didnít have a clue.

Then I remembered that my neighbor was the shop manager at a different Ford dealer in a small town. He came over to the house and listened to the noise. When he said it was a bad fan (serpentine) belt I thought he needed to go back to tech school. He must have seen the puzzled look and said he had seen it before and bring it to the shop the next day.

When I got to the shop the tech removed the belt and started the engine (you can do that for a very short time). All the noise disappeared. New belt installed and 3,000 miles later still no noise. I know it sounds crazy but it was explained to me that if a belt is slightly out of round or balance it sets up a vibration that causes the adjacent aluminum heat shields to rattle. As the belt heats up while driving it changes the vibration level, sometimes completely eliminating it.

A quick test is to start a cold engine and run at various RPMs to verify the noise. Then, remove the belt (access it from underneath the engine) and do the same thing. Be sure to only run a short time because of no water pump or alternator. If the noise goes away get a new belt.

If it doesnít then Iím out of ideas and youíll have to see a dealer.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #8

Am I missing something? 2018 Ford E450? Take it to the dealer. I would have the first week..

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Am I missing something? 2018 Ford E450? Take it to the dealer. I would have the first week..

Around here you would have called for an appointment in the first week. THEN, they would have gotten it in this last week.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Around here you would have called for an appointment in the first week. THEN, they would have gotten it in this last week.
Very few Ford dealers will work on a motor home. The closest to me that does is very difficult to work with. The small one in the next town will only do what can be done without using a lift...but they make and keep appointments.

Tags
ford