Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #1

Forester 2018 pioneer in dash radio system

Hello, my wife and I are purchasing a new 2801QS Forester the due date is sometime in January of 2018 and was wondering what pioneer system it comes with, If anyone knows? I Was also wondering if GPS and Sirius radio can be used with it? You can bet, I will have plenty of questions to ask about this RV unit? Thank you in advance,
Rick. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:37 PM   #2

The head unit is a AVH-X2800BS. The Pioneer head unit does not have a integrated GPS. You need to attach a Sirius SXV300 connect vehicle tuner to the connector on the rear of the head unit to receive Sirrius/XM.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #3

We own a 2018 Forester and have had nothing been trouble with the Pioneer In Dash radio. It has already been replaced once under warranty and is currently back in the shop for warranty work on the replacement radio. The service writer at the dealership was not surprised. I'm concerned problems with this radio system could be long term. Has anyone else had trouble with these radios?
mainer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainer30 View Post
We own a 2018 Forester and have had nothing been trouble with the Pioneer In Dash radio. It has already been replaced once under warranty and is currently back in the shop for warranty work on the replacement radio. The service writer at the dealership was not surprised. I'm concerned problems with this radio system could be long term. Has anyone else had trouble with these radios?
I havent heard of any issues with the AVH-X2800B headunit that FR used in the 2017’s. It that the model you have. What issues are you having?
I have an inside contact at Pioneer, I will check wirh him to see if he has any insight.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #5

My radio was replaced under warranty and I think it may have been the AVH-X2800BS because my understanding is that was what came with the MH (as told by FR). However, Pioneer told me that radio was 2016 version and it was replaced by AVH-X390BS for 2017. That radio has also been replaced by Pioneer's 2018 model AVH-600EX. I guess they get replaced every year? The radio I now have is AVH-X390BS. There were many problems with the original radio. After driving some distance, the screen would freeze. The only way out of this was to pull over, turn off the MH and start it back up. It may last another 2-3 hours before doing it again. I googled this issue and found many hits online describing similar issues. Bluetooth hands-free calling would intermittently work. No problems with any of my other vehicles. It's not my phone. Bluetooth audio would also work intermittently. I now have the replacement radio and hands-free calling would not work for weeks. The day before I was planning to bring my MH to the dealership for warranty repair (more things than just the radio), I tested the hands-free calling and it all of a sudden works!?? Previously, I had been troubleshooting this with Pioneer support (which leaves a lot to be desired), and they determined it was incorrect wiring of the radio. The day I drove the MH to the dealer, my backup camera and side cameras would not come on. The camera selection was grayed out. In my opinion that radio and the one I previously had is too quirky. I don't think it is able to consistently perform all the functions it's supposed to have. Possibly, that is why Pioneer is changing models every single year. The App Radio recommended navigator App "NavMii USA" appears to not be compatible even though it lists it as an app. I thought the Pioneer radio indicated a quality system, but with all the troubles I have had with these two radios and the below average support given by Pioneer, I have changed my mind. At this point, if I had a choice, I'd stay away from that Pioneer radio.
mainer30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, radio