Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

Forester 2701DS Need bed modification

I just got my new 2016 Forester 2701DS home a few days ago and the split bed is driving me nuts.

What I'm hoping to find is a modification of the upper sliding part of the mattress that will pull it back down completely when the slide is put out. Currently is ends up a few inches from the slide's window wall when I put it out and I have to try to push it all the way down again. I'm a short, pretty frail "little ole lady" and it's proving difficult for me to do.

I've thought about short bungee cord or elastic straps, but either of those isn't going to pull it all the way down.

Any suggestions will be truly appreciated!
Vicki F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:54 PM   #2

We have the same model 2701DS. Going to let the DW answer this one:

Hi, we love the bed and find it very comfortable.
Is your bed made up with sheets and a mattress pad?
I found with a fitted mattress pad, it was was very difficult to get the mattress to lay flat. The mattress pad kept pulling on it, keeping it from extending all the way without a huge struggle. I ended up cutting away the two corners at the bottom of the pad, but left the top corner intact so they stayed hooked under the mattress. The bottom of the pad is now loose, so the mattress can be adjusted easily when extended. I just reach under the sheets and mattress, grab the corner at the split, adjust the mattress on one side, then do the same on the other.

Along the same lines, be sure your sheets are not too snug, or you would probably have the same problem. "Deep pocket" sheets work fine with ours.

Hope this suggestion helps.

Toni
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #3

Thanks Toni for your reply and suggestions.
Currently I only have a set of sheets on the bed until I come up with a solution for my problem. So, no mattress pad and mine does the exact same thing whether I have the sheets on it or not. It just doesn't extend all the way to wall and I have to try to reach the center edge in the middle of the top part of the mattress. I'm just too short to reach it and was trying to figure out some way to make the "slide" pull it out for me.

I do truly appreciate your idea though.
Thanks,
Vicki
Vicki F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, cat, forester, modifications