Old 02-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #1

Question Forester 3011ds Winterization and De-Winterization

So this is probably a dumb question and i was looking in the Forester specific forum which may be the reason i didn't find this but i had questions on winterizing and de-winterizing. This is the first time i have to do this so please forgive me

So camping world winterized our rv for us since they have caused us so much headaches with our unit

But we want to take the RV out on a short trip. Reading around to de winterize the unit it looks like we need to use small amounts of bleach and just run tons of water through through the unit. My question is im not 100% sure where all the valves are located or really what the proper process is to do this. So i was hoping you great folks could help me out (I can also read the owner manual but figured I would get a better answer asking folks who already have the unit)

From watching some youtube videos it looks like to winterize the unit they may have to turn off some breakers for the hot water heater? and there could possibly be some other valves?

Now we plan on taking out this weekend for 3-4 days than probably wont use it again for another 3-6 weeks. My guess is i should winterize the unit (which is located in Ohio) again so things dont freeze. I know i need to blow out the lines with an air compressor which i have and than use RV anti Freeze to blow in the lines.

I Guess once i know how to Un-Winterize the unit it will probably make winterizing the unit a lot easier. I just rather do this myself than give any more of my money to camping world. It probably doesn't help that im not a car guy either i can fix your computer but when it comes to cards im lost

Thanks in advance for your help!

Djtonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #2

I can't help with the valve position question, but my question would be - are you sure you want to dewinterize and re-winterize for a weekend trip? Our last trip of the year was Oct, and temps were going to be below freezing so I winterized the trailer. We spent a week at a state park, plugged into electric but carried water (6 ga jug) for cooking, and used pink stuff to put down toilet.

MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
I can't help with the valve position question, but my question would be - are you sure you want to dewinterize and re-winterize for a weekend trip? Our last trip of the year was Oct, and temps were going to be below freezing so I winterized the trailer. We spent a week at a state park, plugged into electric but carried water (6 ga jug) for cooking, and used pink stuff to put down toilet.
Ohh I didnt think of this yeah i really dont want to dewinterize it to than re-winterize it lol. What is this Pink stuff you speak of

Or can i just use regular water in the toilet?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-06-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
PPST Wannabe

Not to step on MillMitch’s toes, I’ll enter this.....

If you’re going to use the RV for this short of time, then you can use the Forester except treat it as though you do NOT HAVE ACCESS TO ON BOARD WATER.

If you need to cook, brush your teeth, wash your hands, etc.....just use bottled water. And, as far as letting any of it go down the drain, just capture it in a basin and get rid of it outdoors.

IF YOU DO LET IT GO DOWN THE DRAIN(S) add a significant amount of RV ANTIFREEZE (the pink stuff)(available at most home improvement stores) to prevent freezing inside your grey tanks. DO NOT USE AUTOMOTIVE ANTIFREEZE. IT IS POISONOUS, RV antifreeze is not, but still don’t drink it.

For using the toilet, again USE RV ANTIFREEZE ONLY to flush the waste down into the black tanks. This will remove the chance for freezing inside these tanks.

BTW.....in what part of the country are you located?

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Not to step on MillMitchís toes, Iíll enter this.....

If youíre going to use the RV for this short of time, then you can use the Forester except treat it as though you do NOT HAVE ACCESS TO ON BOARD WATER.

If you need to cook, brush your teeth, wash your hands, etc.....just use bottled water. And, as far as letting any of it go down the drain, just capture it in a basin and get rid of it outdoors.

IF YOU DO LET IT GO DOWN THE DRAIN(S) add a significant amount of RV ANTIFREEZE (the pink stuff)(available at most home improvement stores) to prevent freezing inside your grey tanks. DO NOT USE AUTOMOTIVE ANTIFREEZE. IT IS POISONOUS, RV antifreeze is not, but still donít drink it.

For using the toilet, again USE RV ANTIFREEZE ONLY to flush the waste down into the black tanks. This will remove the chance for freezing inside these tanks.

BTW.....in what part of the country are you located?
Thank you for the advise im trying to convenience the wife this will be okay. my worry is what if we have to go #2 lol. is it still okay to flush with RV Antifreeze and should i dump after my guess would be no because it would dump the fluid out that's helping winterize.

Im located in OHIO right now and we are only traveling a few hours away still in Ohio.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #6

I guess another follow up question would be after we use the toilet only and use rv anti freeze solution when we leave do i dump the black tank and put more rv anti freeze in or do i just leave it? again its only a quick 2 day trip leave friday night, spend staurday day there leave sunday am
Old 02-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #7

Pink stuff is RV Anti freeze which is non harmful to humans!
Old 02-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #8

And yes, you can dump the black and grey tanks after the trip. I put a little pink stuff down the drains and toilet after dumping; which effectively re-winterizes the coach since you didn't use the water faucets.

edit: our last trip out was without onboard water, we spent a week in a state park in northern MN in mid Oct. Being able to use the toilet was mandatory, followed by dumping in pink stuff. We did shower in the bath house. We also washed in the sinks, but followed that each time by dumping 1/2 gallon of pink stuff down the sink to keep the water from freezing. We were above freezing most days, and above 25 most nights. I'm guessing you'll be colder than that depending on where you go. We used 8 gallons of pink stuff in a week, and that included saving one for after we dumped. Depending on how cold it is, you'll want to watch your propane, the furnace will run through it quick. Have fun, fall/winter/spring camping is awesome.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
And yes, you can dump the black and grey tanks after the trip. I put a little pink stuff down the drains and toilet after dumping; which effectively re-winterizes the coach since you didn't use the water faucets.

edit: our last trip out was without onboard water, we spent a week in a state park in northern MN in mid Oct. Being able to use the toilet was mandatory, followed by dumping in pink stuff. We did shower in the bath house. We also washed in the sinks, but followed that each time by dumping 1/2 gallon of pink stuff down the sink to keep the water from freezing. We were above freezing most days, and above 25 most nights. I'm guessing you'll be colder than that depending on where you go. We used 8 gallons of pink stuff in a week, and that included saving one for after we dumped. Depending on how cold it is, you'll want to watch your propane, the furnace will run through it quick. Have fun, fall/winter/spring camping is awesome.
This is prefect i really appreciate the help this is why i reach out to you guys first hand experience is better than a book lol.

The weather is looking like:
friday high 21 low 16
sat high 23 low 19

Ill just grab a bunch of the RV pink liquid and make sure to put it down the toilet and we will try not to use the sink if anything if we have to clean something ill do it over the toilet and put the water down there.

Again thanks for all the feedback im feeling more comfortable. ill have to check the propane lol
Old 02-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Pink stuff is RV Anti freeze which is non harmful to humans!

thank you

Tags
forester, winter