Old 05-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #21

2016 Forester GTS 2801QSF
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #22
All good info gentleman! I'm not 100% against ordering the 3011DS, just reevaluating my options.

Having had several TT's, I am aware of shoddy work, and lack of oversight as these units roll off, leave the assembly lines, and shipped to dealers.

Have you checked your roofs for the problems described ? Issues where roof meets front cap ? Sealed nicely or goobs of sealant covering a gap ? I ask because I asked a gentleman about his Forester at a gas station not along ago who gave positive review on it. When I asked about the roof design and leaks, he replied he has found none, however he has not been on the roof in the 1.5 years of ownership.
We liked everything about the Forester to include length, and height to fit in our RV garage, but the possible "open roof" need more info on.

We have a poster here who traveled across the country to pick up his new FR and found it to have scratched counters, and torn seating materials. The "standard" dealer reply of just give us your money......take it home, and then drop it off at a dealer for a few weeks to "fix" is just not exceptable to me!

Anyway, thank you for your positive posts, I'm just doing more research on the Forester roof design!

2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost, Screw, H/D, 3.73
1930 lbs CCC
2010 Flagstaff 26 RLSS (Sold 05/16)
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #23
I have been on my roof many times. The roof/front cap connection is smooth and clean with a clear line of overlap.

When I picked up my RV, 3 hours from home, there were almost no problems or issues. The only problem I had was the DVD player in the dash didn't show it's picture on the over cab TV. We didn't check this and didn't notice it until after we had spent 3 days in the RV.

I contacted the DVD manufacturer and they gave me some help. Then I contacted Forest River and they said take it where ever you wish, pay for the repair and send us the bill. In the end I took it to the local dealer and they fixed it under warranty. A cable had come loose from the back of the dash Stereo/DVD/GPS head unit.

On 2016 and newer the dash unit doesn't provide DVD services for the main TV.

I had a backup camera go out after 8,500 miles. The dealer got me in and replaced the camera in 4 days total. Works great.

There were no scratches, tears or problems with my RV when I picked it up - and there still are not any.

You say you've purchased RVs/Trailers before - so you know that the first owner is the final quality control for the RV factory and that this is common across ALL brands. If RV manufactures put more into quality control. And if the dealer network was stronger and part of the quality chain it wouldn't be this way. But, this is not unique to Forest River.

Working with a good dealer. Having an exhaustive PDI process and working with a good service dept are about the best you can do in buying any new RV.

One good thing about FR that isn't always true with other brands, we have a good forum with lots of experienced owners. And, most important TWO factory reps that participate and help out as needed.

Before I purchased my FR I looked at a number of other brands. I visited their forums and they all had problems reported by new owners. I actually felt more comfortable with FR because I saw problems reported, dealt with and fixed. Routinely.

I'm not trying to talk you into anything. Just saying it's best not to let a small number of bad or less than good experiences color your perceptions of the entire product.
2015 Forester 3051S
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:13 AM   #24
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
Well said Creativepart
PS I'd recommend a sunseeker to anyone
2X or Forester to anyone
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2015 Camping 3 trips 6 nights
2016 Camping 9 trips 28 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:41 PM   #25
Thank you again gentleman,

I do understand some "issues" are always going to be there, and are wide spread in the industry. Quality control in some areas is non existent, and yet we continue to buy these units??

Again, I am not anti FR! I have enjoyed mine and did allot of research prior to purchasing the TT in my signature. Yes, it also had issues with door locks falling apart......slide catching and tearing the carpet up, underbelly cover sagging and dropping down ( four screws holding the entire cover on). Most covered by warranty ( thank goodness I bought the second year coverage).

I am specifically concerned with the roof leak issues / design reported here.

Once I'm comfortable with that, maybe we can all meet with our Foresters and you guys can buy me beer.......LOL.
2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost, Screw, H/D, 3.73
1930 lbs CCC
2010 Flagstaff 26 RLSS (Sold 05/16)
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:37 PM   #26
I have to agree, Forest River has treated us vey well. We purchased a used 2014 Sun Seeker a year ago . Shortly after the purchase, about 2 months , we had this clicking noise in the Battery Control Center. I contacted the Dealer and they could not isolate the problem. So I got a hold of Russ Stull warranty administrator for Forest River West Coast C Division and he sent me a new Precision control Center at no cost. The previous BCCs (Worth Electronic Units) are no longer used and no parts are available. I had no warranty so this was just super on the part of Russ and his supervisor.
Great to see a large company stand behind its product even with no warranty in place. Saved us about $1,000.00 The install was $269.00 and it was worth every penny

2014 Sun Seeker

brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

305, forester