Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #1

Forester 3051 Big Foot Levelers questions

I have used the search feature and just can't find the right answer. We just picked up our 2016 Forester 3051. We have had it two nights. We got the levelers down the first night, had to put some wood under the tires so they didn't come off the ground. Its in our driveway which is pretty level but slightly sloped to the rear for water drainage. We took a ride yesterday, came home and thought we leveled it. Woke up this morning and realized that none of the stablizers were down. We tried to do the automatic and the back two come down and then nothing with the front two. The green light in the center is on and then left and right are flashing. Our bubble level is pretty close, off maybe a quarter inch. Any suggestions? Are the fronts supposed to come down even if its level without them? I can't find anything in the little tiny brochure they gave us. So overwhelmed right now.
gandb26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #2

Yes fronts should come down whether level or not. First let's see if the fronts are working. Make sure emergency brake for vehicle is on. Keys removed from ignition. Bigfoot also recommends the coach be plugged into shore power or Genny running since it is a large power draw on the batteries. Turn Bigfoot system on at control board. Press the manual button till light illuminates. Press the front jack buttons to see if they are getting power and will extend down in manual mode. Once you can confirm they operate then you can move forward with diagnosing problem.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #3

Ok. Took it somewhere else more level and fronts came down but not the rears. Back in the driveway, lowered everything, all 4 came down and then the rear tires were off the ground so we retracted everything and drove up on boards and then I have a flashing rear and solid right light. I can not for the life of me figure out what the issue is. But it sure is frustrating. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1463952421.293393.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	108651obviously it's a picture so it doesn't show the flashing rear light. The rear tires were coming off the ground so we retracted everything and drove up on boards. Now again only the rears are down and I have flashing green foot and left and right. So without the boards, all 4 came down but rear tires off the ground. Put the boards under the rears and now only two came down and the green foot is flashing and right and left. Any ideas?
Old 05-22-2016, 04:43 PM   #4

Ok the lights that blink around the green foot show you that area is low. Example if the light on left front is flashing it is low. . The green foot in center with no lights shows unit is level. . HOWEVER I don't know if your unit is calibrated to level. . It is an easy process but first if your getting a light blinking left and right your control board needs to be reset. I don't know your rig layout but I can get to the back of the control panel through a drawer if you can great if not just remove 4 screws on front to remove control panel from wall. When you access the back there is only one plug. . Remove it for at least 1 minute then plug back in. . This resets the board. . You should no longer get the left and right lights blinking together. . Several causes require board to be reset but most common is a weak battery.
And I just noticed were neighbors.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #5

Send me your email via PM I have the Bigfoot manual in pdf form I will email it to you.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:08 PM   #6

Never lift your rear tires off the ground. Your fronts could roll you right off the jacks and damage them.

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:15 AM   #7

If your driveway requires your rear wheels to be off the ground when leveled (mine does) just turn your RV around, let your front wheels go as high as necessary. Just be sure to chock the back wheels and set your parking brake first. No problem.

My front wheels are probably 18" off the ground when level in my driveway..
Old 05-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #8

I have a portable Big Foot controller on my Concord. Had similiar problem, called BF. They had me unplug from power box under driver seat, plug back in 10 min, let it reset. That solved the problem. Yours is fixed, so maybe pull fuse or breaker and see if it resets.
billcoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Ok the lights that blink around the green foot show you that area is low. Example if the light on left front is flashing it is low. . The green foot in center with no lights shows unit is level. . HOWEVER I don't know if your unit is calibrated to level. . It is an easy process but first if your getting a light blinking left and right your control board needs to be reset. I don't know your rig layout but I can get to the back of the control panel through a drawer if you can great if not just remove 4 screws on front to remove control panel from wall. When you access the back there is only one plug. . Remove it for at least 1 minute then plug back in. . This resets the board. . You should no longer get the left and right lights blinking together. . Several causes require board to be reset but most common is a weak battery.
gandb26, I had the same problem as you. I followed sgtlm17's instructions and reset the unit. I was not able to access through the panel under the fridge. I took it right out the front. It was very easy. I got it level. My one front is still off the ground, but I got it chocked. Jill
13STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:15 PM   #10

Not sure if we are leveling properly. We understood from walk through that we shouldn't have any wheels in the air. Still use leveling blocks with our Bigfoot levelers. Is this overkill? Just use levelers for fine tuning to zero degrees salesman said levelers shouldn't be used alone to have front wheels suspend in space. We're we misinformed?
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #11

Same Issue with Levelers

Our Forester 3011DS is a year old now. Did have issue with rear tires coming off ground. Ended up letting the selling dealership recalibrate unit. It took them 3 trys to get it right. Till I was able to take it in, I made sure unit was level all around and then manually lowered each jack and just took a little weight off the wheels. . .
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:34 AM   #12

I agree. I always take some wood blocks with us. Free at the Home Depot saw area like 2 x 10 ends. Anyway with wheels coming off of the ground it really makes me nervous. Levels are, my experience are just for fine tuning. I Carry, what I call an RV bag. In there is my trusty claw hammer and I often just claw out a hole for the wheels to drop in on the high side. Sure makes the motor home a bit more stable. Only on gravel camp sites though. He |Ha

Brandon2
2500 TS
Sun Seeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
I just saw that were neighbors! How close to Whitehouse Station are you?
Old 05-25-2016, 02:21 PM   #14

Just hung up with Eric at BigFoot and he was very helpful in explaining the system to me and telling me how to recalibrate it which is in the manual under "programming" I wasn't looking deep enough into the manual as it appeared to be mostly how to install. Its now working like a charm! Thanks to Eric @ Bigfoot!
Old 05-25-2016, 03:03 PM   #15

Glad to hear it. .
I'm about 15 miles from you maybe 30 min. . Any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandb26 View Post
Just hung up with Eric at BigFoot and he was very helpful in explaining the system to me and telling me how to recalibrate it which is in the manual under "programming" I wasn't looking deep enough into the manual as it appeared to be mostly how to install. Its now working like a charm! Thanks to Eric @ Bigfoot!
Always good to read a final solution, and an acknowledgment to a dealer / manufactor who helped with a problem !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #17
Citrus County, Fl.

Steeljag, have you ordered your new unit yet? Either way, there are a couple of FR rallies coming up that I think you would enjoy. Florida rally in Sept in Williston and BamaGanza at Noccalula Falls Oct 5th thru 9th. There are still sites available for both
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #18

No GL we have not! Completed the build sheets, sold our TT, and then began to follow the leaking roof issues on the Foresters here!

Water coming in through roof seams, corners, lights, etc.......scares / disappoints the heck out of me ! Checking out and researching some other units as I type.

I sent you a PM awhile back.....did you get it?
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljag View Post
No GL we have not! Completed the build sheets, sold our TT, and then began to follow the leaking roof issues on the Foresters here!
I'm really sorry to see the experiences of a a small handful of people keep others from going with a Forester.

Those with this problem are, of necessity, very vocal about this. But I don't think others should see this as a common problem. It's a tiny group of people that are affected.

Also, it is the unfortunate state of the RV Industry that all manufacturers share all the same problems.

Is Forest River perfect? No. Are other manufacturers perfect? No. Even the auto industry has it's "lemons" but that wouldn't keep folks from buying a new car.

I hate reading about the problems that a handful of our fellow owners have and I feel for them, truly. But I'm always aware of the many thousands that have had only minor concerns and are really enjoying their Forest River Motorhome.

PS. I'm writing this from a lovely US Forest Service CG on Haviland Lake about 15 miles north of Durango - we're in our 2015 3051S and it's been great. We bought it in July last year and already have 10,000 miles on it. We've had a few small problems. All of them easily fixed by me or the closest dealer to our home. It's our 4'th RV in 16 years and I'd recommend a Forester to ANYONE.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #20
Wait till next year...

Well said Creativepart
PS I'd recommend a sunseeker to anyone
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
305, forester