Old 10-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #11

bypass valves

i am looking under the kitchen sink where the insulated hot water tank is and there are no valves just the red an blue lines going to the tank. Cant believe Forest River didn't include bypass valves on an expensive rig like this. i will keep searching.
As an alternate method if i drain all the water from tanks and blow out the lines with air pressure do i still need antifreeze in the lines? Oregon never gets below 20 deg in winter but I don't want to take a chance either. i remember replacing the lines in my tent trailer after an early freeze in october with water still in the lines. no fun.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #12

bypass valves

not sure if this posted .try again. I don't see any valves under the sink where the tank is located. just red and blue lines going in the tank.
As an alternate method. can i drain all the tanks and blow out the lines with air pressure safely?

Old 10-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricfr View Post
not sure if this posted .try again. I don't see any valves under the sink where the tank is located. just red and blue lines going in the tank.
As an alternate method. can i drain all the tanks and blow out the lines with air pressure safely?
The lines, yes!
The tank, I doubt it, my best guess is if you put enough air to the tank to blow all the water out you might blow out a wall or something just as expensive to replace.

And the price of the rig has nothing to do with installed accessories.
Fact is they may not have put it in figuring you would not do it yourself.
Have you seen the low point drains under it?

Or it might have a valve on it.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #14

Well i finally found the bypass valves on my forester 3121ds. I took all the drawers out of the kitchen cabinets and they were hidden at the tip of arms reach. They are small brass valves that aren't visible without a flashlight and some serious contortions. Mission accomplished: ready for winter. Thanks for all the help. drained the hot water heater and the zinc anode is in perfect shape. And thanks {Ford Idaho}. I found the low point drains too! 2 gallons of antifreeze did the job. I pumped it in the city water inlet with a hand pump from Harbor freight. Worked good. All faucets and shower, outdoor shower,toilet running pink now. I bought it used with 32k milkes for a great price and want to take good care of it. Thanks to all the members who chipped in!
Old 10-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #15

Depending on how long you let the pink run you might think about putting a touch more in the sink and shower traps.

Are you going to use something like this?

https://www.google.com/#q=damp+rid
Old 10-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #16

water heater

i am using a small electric heater set to 50deg in the rv to keep it from getting damp inside. Oregon is darn wet in the winter though.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #17

Quote:
i am using a small electric heater set to 50deg in the rv to keep it from getting damp inside. Oregon is darn wet in the winter though.
I know all to well.
I lived in the Eugene Springfield area for about 4 years.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #18

Thanks for the heads up on the switch. Mine was turned off. I coulda been getting twice as much hot water per hour for my inlaws to waste!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 01:59 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on the switch. Mine was turned off. I coulda been getting twice as much hot water per hour for my inlaws to waste!!!
Please remember to make sure to ALWAYS keep that switch for the electric heating element OFF when there is no water in the heater.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, heater, water, water heater