Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #1

Forester 3171DS vs Jayco 31FS

Both these units have similar floor plans and same power train. What makes the Forester better than the Jayco or is it? Prices are similar.
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #2

I think that is left to personal preference, but looking at both forest river has bigger tanks then the jayco.

This is what sold me on my EVO TT, forest river offered 15 gallon bigger tanks and that was the main difference between other brands. I am partial to FR and Heartland, I am not a fan of jayco, my personal choice no real reason behind it.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #3

Another major issue to consider between the brands that pertains to their class Cs specifically is that FR has a fiberglass roof and slide toppers. I personally think Jayco has nicer interiors, but the infrastructure is more important, especially when both brands have the same price point.
Rudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
Class C Representative

Just as Rudie pointed we are the only manufacture to be completely fiberglass enclosed; fiberglass roof, sidewalls and under belly. We use azdel in our sidewalls Compared to Luan so you have better insulation. More storage, heated enclosed tanks while they leave theirs exposed, seats belts in the back couches for the kids to sit in the Bunk area and have a separate TV, Firestone ride right suspension compared to Hellwig helper springs and more.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
Citrus County, Fl.

Asking this on the Forest River Forum you are going to get more positive answers on the FR side but there are a few things to consider on the Jayco that FR does not offer, whether or not they are better is debatable.....Frameless windows (some say they are noiser), tankless water heater (heard pros and cons) and they do have a 2 year warranty.....However, Forester has a 7500# towing capacity, Progressive Dynamics converter, cedar lined closets, Dyson vacuum and Brian and Joshua on the Forum which is hard to beat....Also, from others have said, go look at the complaints on the Jayco Forum
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
Class C Representative

We do our best to provide as much factory support to the customer and be readily available for any questions or concerns someone may have. The frameless windows only open a few inches at the bottom where our windows slide open all the way. We use an aluminum water heater to provide you with a long lasting water heater that will deter corrosion over time.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
Bus Driver

I attended the Forest River Owners Rally last summer (Next one August 9-15, 2015) at the Elkhart County 4-H Fairgrounds in Goshen, IN. I was absolutely amazed at the Factory Support provided.

The Jayco Owners had their Rally the following week and were arriving as I was leaving. After talking to several of the Jayco Folks, Forest River does a much, much better job in the factory Support department.

There ended up being some Jayco-ites going to strongly consider a Forest River next time around after our chat
Deaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Asking this on the Forest River Forum you are going to get more positive answers on the FR side but there are a few things to consider on the Jayco that FR does not offer, whether or not they are better is debatable.....Frameless windows (some say they are noiser), tankless water heater (heard pros and cons) and they do have a 2 year warranty.....However, Forester has a 7500# towing capacity, Progressive Dynamics converter, cedar lined closets, Dyson vacuum and Brian and Joshua on the Forum which is hard to beat....Also, from others have said, go look at the complaints on the Jayco Forum
I saw those other features on the Jayco. The main one I liked was the 2 year warranty. I see a lot of slide issues: alignment, motors burning out, leaks with Forest River units. We have a 3171 on order. This will be our first unit with slides. Just wanted some reassurance that this was the right decision. Going to check out the Jayco forum to see if they have the same slide issues that Forest River is having. Thx for all the other responses to this thread.
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
Citrus County, Fl.

Just an FYI...looks like Jayco has switched over to a hydraulic leveling system on their 2016's. Not sure that is better or worse....maybe somebody with a Georgetown can chime in as I think it is the same system, manufactured by Equalizer.......Also, I think those having the most problems with the slides are the 3050/3051 with the long slide......remember though most will not post how good their slide works, only those that are having problems.....I think a lot of the slide problems are with people not letting the unit synchronize when extending. Also, not mentioned anywhere on the forum, I saw a 2016 that arrived last week and it has LED tail, brake/turn, and backup lights.....
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #10

Getting Jayco to respond to dealer for a repair is like "pulling teeth" but once Jayco responds they supply the dealer with the parts.
My previous 5r HT was built like a Swiss Cheese/rodent hotel, I did not think it was intentional but they skimped on the expanding foam too many times/holes.
I am convert to FR.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #11

How about a two year warranty from Forest River just like Jayco does?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
markangie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
Commercial Member

We have asked for it, but because the Coachmen division doesn't want to do it, we were told we can't. "We need to offer the same warranty".

In the end many things are covered for two years away from the supplier. Also, if we know that it was our issue, I have never seen them deny a claim.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:19 PM   #13

I am a happy Sunseeker owner with a Chevy chassis. Jayco has J Ride with Bilstein shocks, body mounts etc. wouldn't this fix the sway issues that the Ford guys are always complaining about? I know a little more money but I drove one while in Florida for the winter. Went on I 75 and no issues with 18 Wheelers etc. The alignment is fixed at Jayco and they do not have to get it taken care of after purchase. I am happy with the Chevy platform but we are stepping up soon to a Class A. Just some suggestions to help the Sunseeker/Forester brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
markangie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:21 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Airbags fix the sway issue as well (thus the Ride Rite system we install).

A chevy will hold its alignment...but we have found that aligning the Fords, the alignment parameters have changed as the chassis settles. Not on all, but its seems like some.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester