Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I read to put the slide out only when hooked to shore power or running the genny.
+1

I know my batteries will handle the load of putting it out or bringing it in because I'm one of those people who just has to try it, but I can't ever imagine why I'd want to do it on battery power alone as long as I had a choice.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:00 PM   #22

What I usually do is Chase everyone out and hit the levelers. Then hook up the elec, water and stinky slinky. DW goes in and puts the slide out after level. Win,Win!
Old 02-17-2019, 10:57 PM   #23

Forester Coach battery maintenance??

There are only 2 cables that are the problem. As mentioned, I would cut the lifting handles. I do not have lifting handles on my batteries and removed them without issue. I would then disconnect the 2 cables and try rerouting them to the other side. Loosen the holding strap and slide the batteries back for a bit more room.
I would check the water and next month, check it again. If OK, I would extend the check time to 2 months, etc.
I think it is great that you keep tabs on your batteries. So many folks do not. Out of site, out of mind.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #24
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
What I usually do is Chase everyone out and hit the levelers. Then hook up the elec, water and stinky slinky. DW goes in and puts the slide out after level. Win,Win!
[emoji106]

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #25

Both times our slide wouldn't come back in we were HOOKED up to power. Bottom line, it was still our fault as we had the original batteries that required checking and adding water and we did not do that, and they were SHOT! (after 13 months...)
Old 02-26-2019, 03:06 AM   #26

I started out by topping off our batteries when we first brought our 3051 home. When we're not on the road it is always plugged in to a 30 amp receptacle.

We have a Progressive Dynamics 4 stage charger/converter that maintains all 3 batteries.

I began checking the electrolyte level every month. After 6 months I was able to add minimal water to all of the cells of the coach and chassis batteries.

I've found they've only needed a little water every 6 months to top them off over the 2 years of ownership.

The cable routing over the caps of the coach batteries was a pain and I adjusted them for easier access.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Yes, in the steps. Easy to get in and out? Ehh. Could be worse. Could be a WHOLE LOT better. When I hook them up in the winter, I don't put them back in the step. I bought a long battery cable and now put them on the bottom step and use the extra cable as an extension for the hot side. It'll be a couple weeks before I get back out, but I will take a pic next time.
I'm curious. If you're keeping the batteries charged away from your rig, rather than haul them back to start the generator, could you start the generator with the chassis battery using the emergency battery switch in the cab or would it not be good for the converter to not have batteries connected with the generator running?
Old 02-26-2019, 06:54 AM   #28
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk S View Post
I'm curious. If you're keeping the batteries charged away from your rig, rather than haul them back to start the generator, could you start the generator with the chassis battery using the emergency battery switch in the cab or would it not be good for the converter to not have batteries connected with the generator running?
To be perfectly honest, I don't know. [emoji15] Having the coach batteries there, to me, shows me everything is working as it should. I'm not one to try something "unnatural" in my mind. Using the coach batteries is the natural thing for me. [emoji106]

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:13 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
To be perfectly honest, I don't know. [emoji15] Having the coach batteries there, to me, shows me everything is working as it should. I'm not one to try something "unnatural" in my mind. Using the coach batteries is the natural thing for me. [emoji106]
Unnatural is a good way to describe it [emoji15]. Probably best to not change your routine.
The question just popped up in my lazy mind thinking about carrying batteries back and forth.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #30

If you don't want to carry batterys back and forth, use a jump box to start the generator and turn off the converter.

Tags
battery, forester, maintenance