Old 02-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #1

Forester Coach battery maintenance??

How often do you check levels and add distilled water to your coach batteries? They are under the steps at the entrance. Hard to get access. Do you have to unattach everything and take them out, or is there an easier way to check and add water. Iíve had my RV (2019 FR MBS) for six months and Iíve never checked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5254.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	196944  

fritzteuscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #2

I could be wrong but I don't see any "caps" or removable pieces where you can check water/electrolyte levels. They may be AGM type batteries and if so the only maintenance necessary is to make sure connections are clean and tight.

I'd determine the type of battery first. Flooded Lead Acid or AGM. If AGM, don't attempt to open any caps.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #3

All I know is our slide got stuck in the ďoutĒ position twice. We learned that the slide motors run off the coach batteries and the stock coach batteries are junk. Our locale dale discovered the problem after the secon incident - they installed two maintenance good batteries and weíve had that slide in and out 50 times since with no problems.

Basically Iím just passing on an FYI about cheap stock batteries. Good for you diligently trying to take care of those stock batteries, would probably have had ours last longer than 13 months had we done better with them.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #4

I read to put the slide out only when hooked to shore power or running the genny.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I could be wrong but I don't see any "caps" or removable pieces where you can check water/electrolyte levels. They may be AGM type batteries and if so the only maintenance necessary is to make sure connections are clean and tight.

I'd determine the type of battery first. Flooded Lead Acid or AGM. If AGM, don't attempt to open any caps.

Thanks Mike. I know it is hard to see in the picture, but the caps are under the black plastic handles which are pinned down by the positive and negative cables. That is part of the problem. Hard to get to. I donít necessarily want to detach all of the cables to get access to the fill wells on a monthly basis. I have seen in multiple places and online that they should be checked for levels every month. I have never had to do that in any car I have owned. Maybe it is standard to give new cars a maintenance free battery these days. Anyway, it seems really injurious to lead acid batteries to let the solution levels drop. I have seen thathat in many posts. But monthly checks???
Old 02-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #6

I found that the 3 stage converter they use tends to put more into the batterys after you first add shore power. I did have to check mine once a month and add water. Much different then a car since the coach batterys work harder. Just my findings, others may be different.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I read to put the slide out only when hooked to shore power or running the genny.

Thanks. I think our system prevents us from putting the slide out unless we have a very powerful power source like shore power, the generator, or the chassis engine running. I will check the next time I go to my storage unit. You got me curious.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
PPST Wannabe

Huh.

Iíve never seen a lead acid battery where the caps are underneath the battery cable posts. The cables on mine run across some of the caps, but you just pry the caps off to check the levels. I donít remove the cables unless itís time to replace the batteries.

Maybe someone else with an MBS can confirm if theyíre now equipped with sealed house batteries.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
All I know is our slide got stuck in the ďoutĒ position twice. We learned that the slide motors run off the coach batteries and the stock coach batteries are junk. Our locale dale discovered the problem after the secon incident - they installed two maintenance good batteries and weíve had that slide in and out 50 times since with no problems.

Basically Iím just passing on an FYI about cheap stock batteries. Good for you diligently trying to take care of those stock batteries, would probably have had ours last longer than 13 months had we done better with them.

Thanks!! Copy all. More incentive to keep them healthy.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #10
Citrus County, Fl.

Hard to see from the photo but the caps are probably partly hidden under the strap. I check mine at least every 2 months. Have needed to add water only 3 or 4 times in almost 4 years. My coach was ordered so the batteries didn't sit on a dealers lot and drain. Except for a few days it has either been on the road or on shore power. I also never operate the slides unless hooked up or generator is running.

99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, forester, maintenance