Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #1

Forester Coach battery maintenance??

How often do you check levels and add distilled water to your coach batteries? They are under the steps at the entrance. Hard to get access. Do you have to unattach everything and take them out, or is there an easier way to check and add water. I’ve had my RV (2019 FR MBS) for six months and I’ve never checked. [emoji15]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5254.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	196944  
fritzteuscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #2

I could be wrong but I don't see any "caps" or removable pieces where you can check water/electrolyte levels. They may be AGM type batteries and if so the only maintenance necessary is to make sure connections are clean and tight.

I'd determine the type of battery first. Flooded Lead Acid or AGM. If AGM, don't attempt to open any caps.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #3

All I know is our slide got stuck in the “out” position twice. We learned that the slide motors run off the coach batteries and the stock coach batteries are junk. Our locale dale discovered the problem after the secon incident - they installed two maintenance good batteries and we’ve had that slide in and out 50 times since with no problems.

Basically I’m just passing on an FYI about cheap stock batteries. Good for you diligently trying to take care of those stock batteries, would probably have had ours last longer than 13 months had we done better with them.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #4

I read to put the slide out only when hooked to shore power or running the genny.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I could be wrong but I don't see any "caps" or removable pieces where you can check water/electrolyte levels. They may be AGM type batteries and if so the only maintenance necessary is to make sure connections are clean and tight.

I'd determine the type of battery first. Flooded Lead Acid or AGM. If AGM, don't attempt to open any caps.

Thanks Mike. I know it is hard to see in the picture, but the caps are under the black plastic handles which are pinned down by the positive and negative cables. That is part of the problem. Hard to get to. I don’t necessarily want to detach all of the cables to get access to the fill wells on a monthly basis. I have seen in multiple places and online that they should be checked for levels every month. I have never had to do that in any car I have owned. Maybe it is standard to give new cars a maintenance free battery these days. Anyway, it seems really injurious to lead acid batteries to let the solution levels drop. I have seen thathat in many posts. But monthly checks???
Old 02-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #6

I found that the 3 stage converter they use tends to put more into the batterys after you first add shore power. I did have to check mine once a month and add water. Much different then a car since the coach batterys work harder. Just my findings, others may be different.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I read to put the slide out only when hooked to shore power or running the genny.

Thanks. I think our system prevents us from putting the slide out unless we have a very powerful power source like shore power, the generator, or the chassis engine running. I will check the next time I go to my storage unit. You got me curious.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Huh.

I’ve never seen a lead acid battery where the caps are underneath the battery cable posts. The cables on mine run across some of the caps, but you just pry the caps off to check the levels. I don’t remove the cables unless it’s time to replace the batteries.

Maybe someone else with an MBS can confirm if they’re now equipped with sealed house batteries.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
All I know is our slide got stuck in the “out” position twice. We learned that the slide motors run off the coach batteries and the stock coach batteries are junk. Our locale dale discovered the problem after the secon incident - they installed two maintenance good batteries and we’ve had that slide in and out 50 times since with no problems.

Basically I’m just passing on an FYI about cheap stock batteries. Good for you diligently trying to take care of those stock batteries, would probably have had ours last longer than 13 months had we done better with them.

Thanks!! Copy all. More incentive to keep them healthy.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #10
Citrus County, Fl.

Hard to see from the photo but the caps are probably partly hidden under the strap. I check mine at least every 2 months. Have needed to add water only 3 or 4 times in almost 4 years. My coach was ordered so the batteries didn't sit on a dealers lot and drain. Except for a few days it has either been on the road or on shore power. I also never operate the slides unless hooked up or generator is running.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Huh.

I’ve never seen a lead acid battery where the caps are underneath the battery cable posts. The cables on mine run across some of the caps, but you just pry the caps off to check the levels. I don’t remove the cables unless it’s time to replace the batteries.

Maybe someone else with an MBS can confirm if they’re now equipped with sealed house batteries.

Misunderstanding. The battery caps are under the battery handles, not under the battery posts. Would not be a problem to get to them except that the cables are holding down the plastic handles which are pinning down the caps. Hope that makes sense.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Hard to see from the photo but the caps are probably partly hidden under the strap. I check mine at least every 2 months. Have needed to add water only 3 or 4 times in almost 4 years. My coach was ordered so the batteries didn't sit on a dealers lot and drain. Except for a few days it has either been on the road or on shore power. I also never operate the slides unless hooked up or generator is running.

Thanks. You are 100% correct. The caps are under the black plastic battery straps which are pinned down by the cables. Just makes it really hard to check solution levels. It is reassuring that you have only had to add water about once or twice a year. My rig is pretty new and the dealer only had it for a few weeks before I took it ooff the lot

I guess I will have to 1) undo the cables 2) to get to the straps 3) to pry open the caps 4) to check the level and add distilled water if necessary. Seems like a bad setup to make this monthly check so hard.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzteuscher View Post
Thanks. You are 100% correct. The caps are under the black plastic battery straps which are pinned down by the cables. Just makes it really hard to check solution levels. It is reassuring that you have only had to add water about once or twice a year. My rig is pretty new and the dealer only had it for a few weeks before I took it ooff the lot

I guess I will have to 1) undo the cables 2) to get to the straps 3) to pry open the caps 4) to check the level and add distilled water if necessary. Seems like a bad setup to make this monthly check so hard.
With the standard "if this was mine" disclaimer I'd probably just cut the straps right at where they start to cover the removable caps. This would leave some "Tabs" that I could attach a vise grip to each and use that to lift batteries.

Considering that I'd want to check water levels far more often than I'd want to remove batteries I could live without the straps.

Adjusting the cable positions would be good too.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #14
DW's 401(k) Plan

I pull my coach batteries out each winter when the Sunseeker goes in storage. About once a month, I check the fluid levels, put the battery charger on each to top them off then pay a visit to the coach, hook my batteries up and then start the generator. Then back home they go. This is the 3rd year and the batteries seem to be doing good. In the summer, the coach is always plugged in. (Knock on wood) So far, so good.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
With the standard "if this was mine" disclaimer I'd probably just cut the straps right at where they start to cover the removable caps. This would leave some "Tabs" that I could attach a vise grip to each and use that to lift batteries.

Considering that I'd want to check water levels far more often than I'd want to remove batteries I could live without the straps.

Adjusting the cable positions would be good too.

I think you’re right. Checking/filling fluid levels will happen much more frequently than lifting out batteries (at least hopefully anyway). And I’ll definitely try to move the cables around so that I can access the caps easier. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
I pull my coach batteries out each winter when the Sunseeker goes in storage. About once a month, I check the fluid levels, put the battery charger on each to top them off then pay a visit to the coach, hook my batteries up and then start the generator. Then back home they go. This is the 3rd year and the batteries seem to be doing good. In the summer, the coach is always plugged in. (Knock on wood) So far, so good.

Thanks Grinch. I may move in that direction. Are your batteries in the steps? Easy to get in and out?
Old 02-17-2019, 02:07 PM   #17
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzteuscher View Post
Thanks Grinch. I may move in that direction. Are your batteries in the steps? Easy to get in and out?
Yes, in the steps. Easy to get in and out? Ehh. Could be worse. Could be a WHOLE LOT better. When I hook them up in the winter, I don't put them back in the step. I bought a long battery cable and now put them on the bottom step and use the extra cable as an extension for the hot side. It'll be a couple weeks before I get back out, but I will take a pic next time.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #18

I would think every 90 days or so is plenty often enough to monitor them ONCE you know that they don't need it more often. Just check at one month ...then at 3 months and if at 3 months you don't need water or just need a little...then top off and check back in 90 days. Frequent Deep cycling, Bulk charging and the occasional EQ/conditioning charge can use more water than the engine battery uses so it's important to establish YOUR usage of water which can be different from that of others with the same batteries.

I know you have the pry off plates... if you cant get to them by pulling the handle out of the way... just cut off the handle...you're not gonna need it again till they're dead and your gonna need to water more often than that. No need to disconnect cables!

As an aside...though it does not apply to your batts...there ARE cheap, wet cell batteries that are SEALED that are NOT AGMS. They use part of the case space for extra fluid and return valving to minimize water loss. They are generally called "no maintenance" batteries. They should be avoided... and are not meant for deep cycle use.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #19

We have a2019 3011DS, and our batteries are sealed. There are no significant markings on the top of the batteries. The caps are just like a sealed automotive starting battery.

I would like to know if these are: sealed flodded acid ....or.....AGM ....or ...?

Anyone ??

Thank You;

Brian French
Brianfrench65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #20

I doubt they are AGM. Dealer may have put in no maint. batterys or sealed.
To find out, remove one and look at the side of the battery. Should have a sticker on the side.

Tags
battery, forester, maintenance