Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #1

Forester exterior storage compartment questions.

We went to the huge RV Show in Southern California over the weekend and had an opportunity to walk through a lot of motor homes. We're still in the research mode, but are drawn to the Forester Class C motor homes. One thing we wanted to compare were some of the "upgraded" features of the Forester brand with the Sunseeker. Maybe this wouldn't be a big deal for most people, but we were surprised to see that the outside storage compartments on the Forester did not include the slam latches but had the twist-type latches. In my opinion the slam latches are so much more functional with overall upgraded esthetics. Also, on one of the Forester models (we saw so many that I can't remember which one now) the door for the grey and black water compartment did not include a magnetic stay or hydraulics. This seemed very strange because you would literally have to hold the compartment door open as you dumped the grey and black water tanks. Have any of you modified your storage doors to stay open? Anyway, just some observations. We've been trying to decide on either the 2501TS or the 3011 and have also entertained getting a 5th wheel which takes this into a completely different direction. LOL. We are definitely stuck in the valley of decisions!
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #2

I have the forester 2801. I will say hydraulic door struts for sewer compartment is on my list of mods. Without them yes you have to hold the door open.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

On the 3011 there is a latch type lock to hold the compartment door open for the sewer drain. As for the slam latches, I never really gave them much thought. I did have them on our fire trucks and sometimes they would not latch if you were not careful. This won't happen with the twist type found on the Forester/Sunseeker.

Good luck with your selection process. Feel free to ask me any questions. You may want to note there is less difference between the two brands now as many items have been discontinued for the 2017 mid year model change.

Two things I probably would have done different if ordering again are add the power drivers seat and the theater seating instead of the couch. However, if you need the sleeping space the couch makes into a bed, not a jackknife.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #4

I have the power drivers seat and the theater seating. . Love both options. A definite must in my eyes
Old 10-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I installed slam latches and 30 lb gas shocks on my 5er, and left the twist locks in place for extra wind protection while traveling.....be aware...slam latch compartment doors are thicker
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
I installed slam latches and 30 lb gas shocks on my 5er, and left the twist locks in place for extra wind protection while traveling.....be aware...slam latch compartment doors are thicker
Did you use a shim when you installed the slam latches?
Old 10-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
Left Coast

Yes...made one for inside of each door....bought mine on Amazon, made by Lippert, are black, locking, metal....came with the catch for the door flange
Old 10-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #8
Left Coast

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160610_130709196.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	123336
Old 10-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #9

On my 2801 I assumed there wasn't a door holding latch on my sewer compartment or rear compartment because there is a slide out above them. Some 90 deg. hydraulics would be nice though. The rest of the compartments open downwards or side ways.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Yes...made one for inside of each door....bought mine on Amazon, made by Lippert, are black, locking, metal....came with the catch for the door flange
Thanks for the photo, Bob. It looks great, and it's nice to know it can be done.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #11
Left Coast

Could you mount one of the plastic type door holders?
Old 10-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #12
Left Coast

Want a pic of the gas shock ?
Old 10-18-2016, 02:28 PM   #13
Left Coast

Did mine in the Arizona desert last winter while snow birding..,..after testing mounts and etc, this winter I'll pretty it up some
Old 10-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #14

Tombsy the do make the 90 degree ones. That's what I plan on using for the sewer door on my 2801.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #15

WE do not have slam latches on our 2014 Sun Seeker, however we did change out the locks so as to add a bit more security as the ones that come with the unit are very generic. To hold the doors open we installed the /catches / latches to the side of the unit. They come in two packs and we installed one on the door for the sewer dump door to hold it up and also one on the door for the generator. Both work well and are easily installed with a bit of butyl tape and the screws that come in the package .Works well and quite inexpensive. We met up with a Forester owner camping this year and they were missing the cabinet that comes out of the wall right beside the front door. The owner lost a lot of cupboard space without this cabinet.
They had a ladder down the back and I am pricing one now as its one of those handy items to get up on the roof. The Dealer indicated it has to have backing so they are talking to Forest River to see if we have backing or not. That seemed a bit strange to me but what ever.

Brandon2
2014 2500TS
Sun Seeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:33 PM   #16

I have a 2015 3051S. I installed gas lifts on the sewer hatch, the main BIG hatch and on the bed lift. The sewer door is a 45-degree/90-degree lift. When the slide is out it opens 45-degrees. But when the slide is in it opens a full 90-degrees.

I got them from Hatchlift and wouldn't be without them.

Tags
exterior, forester, storage