Old 09-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #1

Forester or Sunseeker heated tank system

Living in a colder clime like I do and a shorter camping season this is one option on the Forester that really attracts me. I know that warm air from when you run the furnace goes into a compartment where the dump valves are located.
Did they build a extra shroud around the tanks and run warm air down there too? It occurs to me that between that and 12 volt pads my camping season could be extended by at least a couple weeks.

Can anyone give me some input on how effective this system is?

Old 09-01-2015, 06:56 PM   #2

We camped near Lake Superior the last weekend of October last year and got into the 20s. Obviously disconnected the water hose, but had absolutely no issues with the holding tanks.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #3

Thank you! So am I correct in that they enclosed the black and gray tanks in a shroud and pump heat from the furnace into it?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #4

From our literature it reads, "All Foresters feature heated/enclosed tanks and utility station. Your tanks stay warm with forced furnace heat." By the way, there is a Forest River Owners Group (FROG) Rally in Amana Colonies, Iowa next month. You may want to check it out!
Old 09-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #5

If you have the Artic Pack, it is my understanding that if you turn it on, there are heating pads for the fresh water, grey water and black water tanks to stop them from freezing.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #6

I have heating pads on my Sunseeker have used them 24 hours straight at sub 20 degrees and no problems.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #7

My fresh water tank is under the bed inside the coach in my Class C Forester so as long as the furnace is on the tank stays warm.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #8

We've camped in 19 F with a 20 mph wind in our Sunseeker with the propane furnace. The utility compartments were over 50 F. I didn't turn on the Arctic Pak tank heaters. Had no problems.

If you are camping without an electrical hookup, the Arctic Pak will use a lot of battery power.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #9

Maybe someone can clarify this for me, I have a 2016 Forester 2401W and I crawled underneath. It does not appear the black and gray, at the least, are enclosed in anything. The arctic heat pads are just on the bottom of the tanks.

Also, nothing else, like the valves is enclosed, all of this is under the coach with no protection.

Am I missing something?

Also it was my understanding the arctic pak tank heaters are preset to a certain low and high to go on and off. Am I missing how to 'turn on' the Arctic Pak tank heaters?

Thank you.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #10

Cfritts,

Our Sunseeker model 3100 is on a Ford chassis. Looking at the Sunseeker brochure, the 2400W/2401W on a Mercedes chassis is built very different from the Sunseekers on Ford or Chevy chassis. The standard features table does not list the MBS series as having heated and enclosed holding tanks and valves. As for turning the Arctic Pak on and off, the switch for this is on our Convenience Center. I don't know where it would be for your model.

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, sunseeker, tank