Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #1
Site Team
 
dcheatwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,035
Forester owners' opinions on GPS

I just ordered the Magellan RoadMate RV9490T-LMB RV GPS. It has some terrible and some raving reviews from other sources but I wanted to see if any Forester drivers use it and how it works for you. Thanks,
__________________

__________________
2018 Forester 3011 DS

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 7,723
I have a Magellan RV type in ours since 2012. Its in the RV now and I don't know the model, but all the bad reviews I read were mostly operator problems as far as down loading and using an external source for 12 volts to do it. Once you get use to changing the way you want to travel, its very handy. Use it for finding CGs on our route, gas and food. Plus it can route you around traffic problems. Sometimes I don't need to use Interstate highways and just use State roads, so you go in and change how you want to go. I have been using Magellan GPS in cars since they came out with them. Still use maps to plan a route and Google Earth street view for turning references and look at CGs.
__________________

__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
Site Team
 
dcheatwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I have a Magellan RV type in ours since 2012. Its in the RV now and I don't know the model, but all the bad reviews I read were mostly operator problems as far as down loading and using an external source for 12 volts to do it. Once you get use to changing the way you want to travel, its very handy. Use it for finding CGs on our route, gas and food. Plus it can route you around traffic problems. Sometimes I don't need to use Interstate highways and just use State roads, so you go in and change how you want to go. I have been using Magellan GPS in cars since they came out with them. Still use maps to plan a route and Google Earth street view for turning references and look at CGs.
Yeah, my first one years ago (2005) was a Magellan and it was a little different from the more recent garmins. This model has Android os with traffic updates, weather updates, bluetooth, wifi, and more. For $99 brand new I figure it's worth a try. Due in Thursday.
__________________
2018 Forester 3011 DS

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 7,723
Let me know how you like it. I was looking at the same,one to upgrade because of the new features.
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
West Cactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 130
I have used Garmin RV 760LMT Portable GPS Navigator and love it as it give RV specific stuff. I recently removed the Jensen and put in KENWOOD with CarPlay. I use waze and love that interface!
__________________
2015 Forester 3051S
West Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
Site Team
 
dcheatwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Let me know how you like it. I was looking at the same,one to upgrade because of the new features.
Came in n today. Great packaging with large mounting bracket. A little confusing on setup but I think it was due to dead battery. Still a little learning curve but able to get RV weight, length, height entered easily. Can't complain for $99.
Taking two weeks to Yellowstone I n June so we'll break it in or toss it out. Lol.
I'll try to remember to review it afterwards.
__________________
2018 Forester 3011 DS

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #7
DaLexusGuy
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: North Georgia Mountains
Posts: 62
How about...Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, etc...?

For what it's worth, I'll toss this out there...

Did ya' ever think of replacing the in-dash audio unit with one that has Apple Car Play/Android Auto capability?

That way you can run Pandora, bluetooth, apple maps, google maps, waze, etc., without an additional screen cluttering the dashboard?

I did just that (Boss Audio BVCP9685A) and it works splendidly (oh, and for MUCH cheaper than you think).

Just food for thought.

Happy camping and stay safe out there...
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
West Cactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 130
I too did it with a KENWOOD. So much better interface.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoS View Post
For what it's worth, I'll toss this out there...

Did ya' ever think of replacing the in-dash audio unit with one that has Apple Car Play/Android Auto capability?

That way you can run Pandora, bluetooth, apple maps, google maps, waze, etc., without an additional screen cluttering the dashboard?

I did just that (Boss Audio BVCP9685A) and it works splendidly (oh, and for MUCH cheaper than you think).

Just food for thought.

Happy camping and stay safe out there...
__________________
2015 Forester 3051S
West Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #9
Site Team
 
dcheatwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoS View Post
For what it's worth, I'll toss this out there...

Did ya' ever think of replacing the in-dash audio unit with one that has Apple Car Play/Android Auto capability?

That way you can run Pandora, bluetooth, apple maps, google maps, waze, etc., without an additional screen cluttering the dashboard?

I did just that (Boss Audio BVCP9685A) and it works splendidly (oh, and for MUCH cheaper than you think).

Just food for thought.

Happy camping and stay safe out there...
I have the pioneer 390bh which has the apps, Bluetooth and DVD player. I've gotten WAZE navigator to come up on it but not impressed with it.
This Magellan has WiFi, Bluetooth and Android OS. It can interface with other Android devices to exchange or share route information. Does way more than I need.
__________________
2018 Forester 3011 DS

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:09 PM   #10
Member
 
kijak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 59
I don't like having to use Data from my phone for GPS, I did get a Magelleon, and like it fine, Yea it's clutter on the dash, but then my wife won't put her feet up there.
__________________

__________________
Jack & Kim Blaydes

2018 Forester 3011DS
2011 Rockwood 8285WS (The Mobile Cabin) traded
2004 F350 SuperCab 6.0TD DRW (Mr. Duals) sold
kijak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
forester

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.