Old 06-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #11

Got my 3011 out of storage last night to get ready for our second trip and when I got home I noticed the counter top cover for the trash can missing. I thought it was there when I got in. After a few minutes of looking around I happened to find some trash under the couch so I went over to put in the trash can and low and behold there was the missing counter top cover and the lip flange it sits on in the trash can! Really? The vibrations from driving the RV 1 mile back home caused the flange piece to fail?

After looking at the flange it appears that they put one or two drops of thin glue on it and slapped it on the plywood under counter. After seeing that I was surprised that it had not fallen off earlier. So now I have one more item for the warranty repair list!

Also discovered the reason the outside door needs to be shut firmly otherwise it will not catch. It appears that the two metal studs on the door that go in the door jamb are actually hitting the jamb slightly. Since I cannot reduce the length of the studs, the only fix is to shave down the metal on the jamb slightly. This should not be an issue since the jamb was cut out anyway to accommodate. It's a shame though that this has to be done after a purchase....

Old 06-05-2016, 01:06 AM   #12

The way the RV industry works the initial buyer is considered the final stage in quality control. And the one year warranty is designed to allow the manufacturer to only pay to fix the issues found during that first year. Works out good for them.

The auto industry it is not.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
The way the RV industry works the initial buyer is considered the final stage in quality control. And the one year warranty is designed to allow the manufacturer to only pay to fix the issues found during that first year. Works out good for them.

The auto industry it is not.
I just thought of a new part time job for when I retire. FR can loan me an RV every weekend or so and maybe a few weeks of the year. We take it out for a short trip and then provide feedback on the things that work/don't work and/or need to be redesigned or fixed. That should help with quality control for models coming off the assembly line.

PS. They can label them as "road tested" thereby assuring less pain for the new first time owner. #WinWin
Old 06-06-2016, 07:49 PM   #14

Some of the country's biggest RV dealers are wise enough to establish a PDI Center where all RV's are shipped to one location for a dedicated PDI staff to go over everything and fix it BEFORE they put the RV on the sales lot. I'd guess they bill the manufacturer for the repairs???

Here's a good video on the shady truth of RV buying. It touches on quality issues:

https://youtu.be/No6ZKDaBpTg

Tags
forester, quality