Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2015, 08:44 PM   #41

Wow Jim!!! Demartini is in my backyard! I was going to buy from them but went thru the Costco program figuring it would be the best price and Costco is a good company. Trust me when I say I've made my case and the dealer is being an ass. I've purchased magnetic signs to advertise for them ........not.
Auntielo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:05 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntielo1 View Post
Hi, if you've experienced a roof leak on your new Forrestor please leave me a post. I had mine for less than two weeks when it leaked like a sive during our first rain.
If you search you will find post on leaks on Foresters and Sunseekers. Mine is Forester 3171 and I have/had numerous leaks. I've had roof transition to the over-cab fiberglass front cap leak, side trim transition (roof to side wall) and over-cab to van roof leaks. Then there are the window leaks.
Dealer was hopeless and without the dealer working with the owner you don't get Forest River warranty.
I went straight to Forest River (Russ Stull) and was told I would pay for the repair - submit the bill to Forest River and they would decide if they would reimburse me. I spent my own time and money and made the repairs. It is certainly discouraging to have a new coach have this kind of problem (or an old one for that matter).

You can read one of the leak post here.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:30 PM   #43

You must me joking?!?!? The dealer did not honor the warranty?! FR is not sure they will remburse you? How long ago was this? I'll post updates as I go and if you need backup let me know. If there are that many leak issues with these new coaches then it's a manufacturers defect. Sounds like you should've gotten a new rig.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #44

Roof Leaks

I'm sure that most new Sunseekers/Foresters don't have roof integrity problems, but that said, this type of leak can wreak havoc on a coach now and into the future. What really surprises me is why these problems are not detected during inspections at the factory. For instance, Evergreen RV has a "rain booth" where every trailer is inspected for leaks. They dump six inches of water in 12 minutes over the coach in addition to spraying the sides. Technicians are inside the unit during the testing to check for any leaks. They also conduct the test with the slides both in the fully extended and retracted position. Does Forest River have anything similar?

Also, I wonder if quality control can trace each coach back to its construction time and date to see who was involved in the roof assembly. That's the only way to correct a problem where someone may be cutting corners or simply making mistakes that need to be corrected. Can Forest River do this?

Anyway, I hope that FR steps up to help the folks who have purchased new coaches with roof envelope problems that may render their coaches worthless.
mbauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #45

Wow thanks for the information ! I highly doubt that FR has a quality department at all after my experience and reading these posts. I invite any of you who had roof leak issues on your new Forester to private message me to find out about a legal remedy for all of us.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:14 AM   #46

Roof leaks

Without touting any 'legal ' stuff, I'd like to continue the discussion /support thread regarding roof leaks, particularly , on new Foresters.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:31 AM   #47

So the original post: "Forestor roof leaks : new rigs" was censored?

The entire topic is gone.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #48

I have a 2016 2401W and the roof leaks. I'd also like to continue this discussion.
Huckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post

Yes, poof! Best to stay away from legal wrangling, but discussing roof leaks and reporting issues with your rig should be fine.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntielo1 View Post
Without touting any 'legal ' stuff, I'd like to continue the discussion /support thread regarding roof leaks, particularly , on new Foresters.
Well, I would still like to know if FR conducts any leak tests at the factory. I'm planning on buying a Forester or Sunseeker in the spring, and since it hardly rains in southern CA during that time my coach will won't be tested in the wild for quite some time. Perhaps Brian or Joshua can comment on envelope quality control and testing.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #51
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauman View Post
Well, I would still like to know if FR conducts any leak tests at the factory. I'm planning on buying a Forester or Sunseeker in the spring, and since it hardly rains in southern CA during that time my coach will won't be tested in the wild for quite some time. Perhaps Brian or Joshua can comment on envelope quality control and testing.

Yes they do, there's a third party pdi that puts it through a rain storm.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #52
Who Dares, Wins

Is that all or select selection of what comes off the line?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post

It is back !!

The site team took the original thread offline to do some editing because of some rules violations. In the mean time, a 2nd thread was started. I have merged the 2 threads to where I think all posts should make sense now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauman View Post
Best to stay away from legal wrangling, but discussing roof leaks and reporting issues with your rig should be fine.
Bingo !!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:19 AM   #54
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Is that all or select selection of what comes off the line?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Unfortunately a selection, not all

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #55
Site Team

A quick side note on this subject. During storage and transport, a RV can get pretty dirty. Some dealers use commercial Truck Power Washers to clean them. The problem is that the operator is usually the wash bay person ( entry level job) and if not used properly they can damage caulking and sealed joints. If you are buying a new unit, tell your dealer you do not want it power washed. If you use a commercial company to maintain your RV also insist they do not power wash it unless done by an experienced person. Power washing is not bad if used properly but they are very easy to misuse.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #56
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
X2
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #57

I had a torrent of water come in through the roof of the cab and the dome light, after a rain. Brand new 2016 Forester. Had a local repairman seal it because the dealer couldn't get to it for months. It has been back to the dealer twice for numerous repairs since I bought it in June. Very frustrated and disappointed.
MarthaNoell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #58

I wish posters would specify which model they have in their signature or body of their reply. Is it the Forester MBS with the leaks?
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #59
Who Dares, Wins

Like many things in the RV world.. A leak is a leak, it does not matter whether it is a Forester or a Georgetown.. Or a TT. They all have the same spots to leak, except the TT that do not have a joint connecting the camper to the truck chassis.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #60

Roof leak

The first real rain we had in CA and the roof leaked. I think the problem was the antenna plug on the roof. It had minimal sealant and wasn't screwed to the roof tight. I resealed the roof cap and the antenna and hope that is good to keep the water out.
myclmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roo, roof