Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #61

My rig is in a dealership for repairs on the leak and the tail light issue. I spoke with Russ who is more than accommodating and until proven differently I am choosing to have faith that FR via the dealership (which is not the one I bought from) will do what is right. So far it sounds like it. Maybe I am rosy glasses here but for once I am going to believe right will be done and I won't have to go crazy woman on anyone.

2016 Forester 2401W, picked up in August 2015
Cfritts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #62

Sure looks like the MBS 2401's with the leaks, not the Fords or Chevy.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #63

Knock on wood, this 2015 2051sle is the first rv I ever owned a and it will be 1 year old Dec 31 and after 11 trips and a few torrentcial rain storms only one small leak in the corner of the sleeper slide. That was in Pensicola in a site by the water and getting hit on the slide side by a driving rain storm. When the rv was about eight months old I washed my roof down with a low pressure wash and calked every thing that looked a little thin. I'd hate to believe that my experiance is the exception to the rule.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #64

Roof Leaks on new Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntielo1 View Post
Hi, if you've experienced a roof leak on your new Forrestor please leave me a post. I had mine for less than two weeks when it leaked like a sive during our first rain.
We bought a brand new Solera R24 last May. It wasn't until the first heavy rain came that, when I went to move it, at least a gallon of water dumped into my lap, and down through the visors onto the dash. The source of the leak remains a complete mystery, but it reservoirs up between the cab, and the cap. It is at the dealer's service center now. After I reversed it's direction on our driveway, I could hear water trickling near my head along the side of the cab, presumably back between the walls of the chassis by the couch slider. I am not sure how they are going to get the water out of the walls. It really knocked the wind out of our travel plans. I have heard of another one in Florida with the same identical problem.

From Oregon...Merry Christmas.
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #65

Yes the thread was edited/censored.
Auntielo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #66

Oh that's where the water in mine came in!! Yes it ruined my thanksgiving holiday and now I worry about mold forming. The dealer, at FR request, resealed the cap but I'm not holding my breath. What about all the water between the walls?
Old 12-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #67

Yes this is a Forester MBS
Old 12-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #68

I guess I became the crazy woman LOLOLOLOL. I paid cash so I'm really feeling the pain.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #69

You need to run a dehumidifier inside for a few days and reposition it eveytime you empty it. I flooded my bathroom a couple of years ago. The water ran under the wall thru my two walk in closets [under carpets] and halfway under my king size bed. The woodwork in the bathroom was pulling away from the wall. I went to Lowes and bought their medium size dehumidifier and ran it for 7 days emtying every few hours and facing it in a different direction. It dried everything the carpet the padding under the carpet no odor or mold and the woodwork pulled back into place and you would never know that their was a flood. I'm not saying it will fix your problem but it should prevent mold until you find out where the leak is coming from
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #70

roofleaks

There is no such thing as mold proof. You need to see what FR will repair and if it has to go back to the factory.
Talk directly to an the warrenty guy for your brand of trl. Take pic and be nice when speaking with them and you can probably resolve it quickly.
Don't start by demanding a new trl until the problem cannot be rectified
I have seen walls ,roofs replaced by FR 3-4 years out of warrenty no charge.
Don't listen to the negativity and just go in with a positivr attitude.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #71

I ran a dehumidifier that was loaned to us by some friends, and it did collect about a gallon of water every two days, but I don't see how it will pull the water from between the walls.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #72

I'm going to throw this out as a preventive measure, especially to those who are buying new rigs...
We bought our Lexi used. It was ordered by original owner, and from day one was kept in a covered garage. He had it for one year, and made only one trip, and put it up for sale. We bought it. It had apparently not been exposed to inclement weather, and was like a new rig.
I had read numerous posts about leaks, and upon getting it home, did the following...
Gave the roof a good cleaning...wasen't dirty, but I wanted it clean.
Bought a dozen tubes of Dicor Self Leveling Caulk, two 50 ft rolls of 2" Eternabond tape and one 50 ft roll of 4" Eternabond tape.
Spent two days adding extra layers of the Dicor to all the seams where anything came up through the roof. Pulled the vinyl screw coverings off the side rails and laid a bead of Dicor down the entire channel, and reapplied the vinyl covers. This is important as there's no caulk or sealant there originally, just exposed screw heads. You would be shocked to see how little caulk or protection there is in some areas.
Used the 2" Eternabond and overlapped the entire length of both sides of the Lexi where the roof meets the side walls. Used the 4" Eternabond to cover the front and back cap seams where they meet the roof.
Wherever I found a screw, it got replaced by a stainless steel screw with a dab of Dicor covering it.
I removed all the front and rear clearence lights, cleaned up the area, and resealed them with a bead of Dicor.
Screws holding the rear ladder were taken out, replaced with stainless steel screws that had had the threads dipped in Dicor, and when remounted, covered with another dab of Dicor.
May seem like a bit of overkill, but in two years I've never found a drop of water inside. I still get up on the roof every other month or so to clean and check the caulk for cracks, but with a double layer haven't found any yet.
Once you get your rigs back from FR, I would suggest you take a long hard look at what can be done. May cost a few bucks, but never having to worry about leaks makes it well worth it.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:16 PM   #73

Wow! I was going to ask about things that can be done to prevent leaks ( more leaks). This is very industrious. It's not something I think I can do alone and I'm concerned about voiding my warranty by modifying this, especially replacing screws. Believe me I've been burning up gray matter thinking about how to improve the integrity of the roof.
One post said, these are low end rv's. I gave to laugh at that because I don't care if it cost $2.00 or $200,000, the integrity and quality control should be there.

Best,

Lo
Old 12-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #74
Site Team

Quote:
Wow! I was going to ask about things that can be done to prevent leaks ( more leaks). This is very industrious. It's not something I think I can do alone and I'm concerned about voiding my warranty by modifying this, especially replacing screws. Believe me I've been burning up gray matter thinking about how to improve the integrity of the roof.
One post said, these are low end rv's. I gave to laugh at that because I don't care if it cost $2.00 or $200,000, the integrity and quality control should be there.

Best,

Lo
I have a low end/entry level TT and haven't had any issues with the roof which is 5 years old. The TT is stored outdoor in the CA sun all year round. I also have the annual services done regularly.

Got to agree that a new roof should not leak regardless of the price point.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #75

Quote:

Best,

Lo
Buddy, your not going to void a warrenty by adding more caulk, or covering seams with Eternabond. As for replacing screws with stainless, if your worried, just cover the original screws with a dab of Dicor. Remember, after a year, your warranty is kaput, so you can do anything to it you want to.
As for doing it yourself...why not, unless your not able to physically. It's not hard, and not really that labor intensive. Just pick a few 70 degree days and get r done.
Dicor and Eternabond can be found on Amazon. I over bought the Dicor, but always keep a few tubes of both their self leveling and lap sealant on hand. Any left over Eternabond will keep a long time...it dosen't go bad.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #76
Site Team

Most of the extended warranties require annual roof inspection and resealing as needed to maintain warranty. If you own an RV you should always carry a tube of the appropriate caulk/sealant and should inspect and reseal at least once a year. This will not void warranty.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:40 PM   #77

Mystery Leak

I have to say, I went all over the roof, and there is no logical place for water to get in...I know how tricky water is, but the only place I can make any sense is in the clearance lights over the cab. There is a lot of sealant over all of the screws and seams, and it accumulates in the cap, but not inside of it but between the cap and the cab and only appears to come in through the visors and storage above the seats in the cab. It is definitely not anything obvious.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:45 PM   #78

Hi cev1001, best advice is to keep an eye and ear out for leaks. I'm looking to purchase a cover but not too sure how to put it on since the model does not have a ladder. I am in the Sierra Nevadas so it's wet here too.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #79

Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthaNoell View Post
I had a torrent of water come in through the roof of the cab and the dome light, after a rain. Brand new 2016 Forester. Had a local repairman seal it because the dealer couldn't get to it for months. It has been back to the dealer twice for numerous repairs since I bought it in June. Very frustrated and disappointed.

Hi Martha...Merry Christmas!!

Did they find the leak? If so, where was it?
Old 12-24-2015, 05:56 PM   #80

I don't understand. It's not rocket science. If the old rigs lasted years without a leak it seems new technology and better materials would produce a more resilient and durable product.

Tags
leak, roo, roof