Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #11
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 11,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe-Woody View Post
I have to turn off the 20 amp breaker inside the camper. The outside switch will sometimes work but I have read information where the outside switch will sometimes melt in side and stop allowing it to be pushed on or off
Thanks, that is kind of curious in itself. If on a 20 amp circuit breaker it is most likely sharing the same circuit with other things/appliances. Have you noticed when you turn off the circuit breaker to the water heater if it also kills power to say the electric side of the refrigerator too?

Are your distribution panel circuit breakers similar to the one in the pic below:

__________________

__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Hypochondria is the only illness I don't have.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
I will take a picture tomorrow and post it. I haven't noticed any thing else going off. What was curious is a 30 amp breaker would blow but not the 20 amp inside the camper. I will turn off everything and see if it blows. I am at home but I do have a 30 amp camping supply to the camper.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
Zoe-Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
This is the board in my camper. The breaker off is the one I used to isolate the WH
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470591035.455855.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470591051.005733.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  96.4 KB
__________________
Zoe-Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
Sorry I said a 20 amp breaker it is a 15 amp
__________________
Zoe-Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #15
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 3,409
From the labeling it appears that the water heater is on a circuit by itself.

The reason you weren't tripping the 15 amp W/H breaker is because the water heater isn't drawing too much power by itself. The total current used by the RV that's tripping the main breaker.
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #16
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 11,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe-Woody View Post
Thanks for the information
I turned off the AC unit which is I high draw device and the water heater would stay on for about 20 min the water would be very hot and after about 15 - 20 min the pole breaker would blow.
I thought the pole breaker may be weak so I had the AC unit on and a coffee machine on and it worked fine. I would have thought them two would or should be more than just the water heater. Any thoughts of what in the water heater path could draw that many amps ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe-Woody View Post
I have been looking at the camper and I know the switch on the outside of the water heater is broke.I also looked at the 30 amp plug that connects to the camp ground post and the plastic around one of the pins shows burning. When I had the water heater off I was running the AC unit fridge and a fan. Also had the coffee machine on at times and the campground breaker never tripped. However, with just the water heater and the fridge on the water heater would low the breaker on the main camp ground post. The water heater was not on gas as the gas wasn't turned on anytime while camping. I just can't seem to find any reason the water heater would work for 15 - 20 min then turn off. The water seemed very hot but not sure if hot enough to blow the water pressure valve. The breaker would always blow before the valve. Thanks


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I'm still confused here somewhat and it may just be your terminology. When you say above (in red) that the water heater turns off after 15-20 minutes, that sounds like normal operation, as the thermostat will turn off the heating element when the water heats to a pre-determined temp (I think around 130-35 degrees), which usually takes about that amount of time to heat the water. What exactly do you mean by "turn off"?

However in a post before that you said the water heater would stay on for 20 minutes, but the circuit breaker is 'tripping' (fuses blow, circuit breakers trip) between 15-20 minutes. Do you possibly mean that the breaker is tripping, which is what is turning off the water heaters electric element?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe-Woody View Post
Sorry I said a 20 amp breaker it is a 15 amp
Good deal, as that is how many water heaters are wired, on their own 15 amp circuit, which is leading me to think we may have another and/or multiple problems being it is the campground main circuit breaker tripping.

Judging by the timing (15-20 minutes) I'm trying to get my head around this and understand if there is a way that possibly when the thermostat is shutting off (opening the circuit) if it could malfunction in a way to trip the main breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe-Woody View Post
I will take a picture tomorrow and post it. I haven't noticed any thing else going off. What was curious is a 30 amp breaker would blow but not the 20 amp inside the camper. I will turn off everything and see if it blows. I am at home but I do have a 30 amp camping supply to the camper.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
If you do indeed have a dedicated 30 amp circuit at your house, have you had time to test it and see if the water heater is still tripping the main or any circuit breakers?
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Hypochondria is the only illness I don't have.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
Sorry when I say the WH turns off I mean the main 30 breaker goes off. I think there maybe something else drawing power but not sure what it could be. I think the WH may be a high draw and with that and the other item( whatever it is) is to high. Just have no idea what it could be
__________________
Zoe-Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:38 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
I have not had time to test the WH at home yet. However, my MH is a Class C and just inside the door there is a small panel down low,I think it is to make sure the batteries are changed and I do hear a relay in side the box keep clicking. It will then stop and later for no reason start again. The camper has just had two new batteries for the main living area and the vehicle battery was tested and was fine. Not sure if there is something wrong with that and it could be drawing power when the WH is on. I agree that I may have multiple things at play and Ijust need to find out which. I thing a test I will do is turn everything off at the breakers and leave the WH on to test if it blows the breaker. If not then slowly turn on each circuit at a time until it does Blow the breaker. Does this seem like a good test to isolate each circuit ?


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
Zoe-Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
forester, heater, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.