Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
Tinkerer and Putterer

Forrester Super C ?

Any plans on taking the existing Forrester floor plans and dropping them on an F550 chassis to make a Super C Diesel?

Just doing some dreaming and was wishing that there were more options in the Super C class that don't cost as much as a Class A Diesel but with the options that made me choose a Forrester over a Winnebago to begin with

Not in the market mind you. Just wishing.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:55 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Not at this time. we built the Ridgeview a while back and then the market tanked. We're still a little sour on them

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #3

Brian, put me on the list for one!

Frank
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #4

Brian,

I looked at a Thor Four Winds Super C on the F550 chassis at the Pomona RV Show. I did not like the fact that they are not a full body paint or the interior fit and finish. Did like the idea of a Class C on the big truck frame and diesel power. Would trade my 2013 3011 in for a Forester Super C in a similar floor plan built on the Ford Truck. Just dreaming.

Tom

Tom
campingtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Let's crowd fund this. If I get enough deposits, maybe I can convince engineering to divert their attention from current projects.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #6

Is it a too expensive to build one and show it off at RV shows prior to production?
Old 02-02-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Only in the sense of engineering time. We already have several projects in the works. First step is to order a chassis and we already have another type of chassis on hand that we haven't even started on yet.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:10 PM   #8

I really liked the Thor Super C bunkhouse, but 90% of them at the dealers come with the exterior kitchen which cuts out 30cuft of storage. Also the void under the bed is inaccessible. The single body length slide was nice too, but the bathroom was a series of compromises IMHO. Now that Forester BH towing is up from the class norm of 5k lb, I am all in as soon as I can sell my current rig.
carlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:14 PM   #9

I almost bought a Thor Ford 550 diesel but could not get passed the 30 to 50K more just because of the chassis. I drove down to Texas to do a walk through on a full body slide and complete full body paint job. I was concerned a 3051S could not tow my Elantra GT and wanted a little more power just in case. The Thor Super C has everything my 3051S has so my brother bought one.

I think the price point is the challenge here. Most won't pay 30-50K just for the diesel.

Frank
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
Old 02-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #10

Frank,

I agree I really like the big truck but the cost is prohibitive; but I also Think that if the chassis became popular enough with the buyers the MFG's could get a better per unit price.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #11

We have a 2015 3051S and my wife's friend before we got ours had got the Thor Four wind 35ft Super C. When we did the side by side comparison. The super C sat higher,which my wife did not like ( one of the reasons she will not drive a class A), the super C had move basement storage because it sat higher ( easily solved by a Big Egg box on the back with 32 cu ft of storage), the bells and whistles were about the same, we liked the floor layout better on the 3051S for our needs. But the interesting thing was when you measured the box (usable square space not counting the cab over) was 3 inches longer in the 3051S. The super C is a 35 ft and the 3051S is depending on who you talk to called a 31 ft or 32 ft. So all you get is more hood.
So you have something like 3 ft longer but less living space and they paid more than $50K than what we paid. We looked at both when getting ours and liked the 3051S better for quality and looks for our needs and was not worth the extra money for a ford diesel and ford transmission both with not that great of reputation compared to cummins and allison.
So we chose the 3051S more living space, less cost, better looks and the fuel cost difference was not enough to get excited about to off set the much higher cost.
allagante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Very nice comparison.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #13

I sold my 2013 f350 because we decide to go the motorhome route vs pulling a camper/5th wheel. If I could take my 3170ds sunseeker and put it on the 550 chassis I would pay extra for the diesel. The amount of power that motor has, even in the lower rated chassis cabs is definitely worth the money. My 350 seemed much quieter than the v10 I have now. I really never thought I would go back to a gasser after owning that truck, but we really liked the floor plan of the 3170.
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #14

Forrester 3051S

In reference to your comparison the 3051S is a standard class C motorhome rather than a super C. The standard class C is built on the E450 chassis which is a van chassis, has the V-10 gasoline engine and a maximum towing capacity of approximately 5,000 pounds. The super C is built on the F550 truck chassis, has the V-8 diesel engine and a maximum towing capacity of 10,000 pounds. I bought the Thor Four Winds Super C 35SK because living in the Rocky Mountain region the gasoline engine and the transmission would be overworked. I doubt that you were comparing your 3051s to a Thor Super C.
bemmerz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #15

If you had read the other posts in this thread the super c being discussed is the Four Winds Super C 35SK which is the exact model I used in the comparison.
The 3051S comes with 7500# hitch so I have assume it would not be there unless the capacity must be 7500 not 5000 you stated.
I do not tow at this time but have seen several 3051S towing cars and SUVs with no problems. Bringing my 3051S home from picking it up I went over a 10,000 foot pass in Wyoming no problems, had plenty of power to pull the hills.
You did not say that you were towing anything. so is your 2500# more towing capacity something you do not even use.
So like I said before we chose the 3051S more living space, less cost, better looks and the fuel cost difference was not enough to get excited about to off set the much higher cost.
Now if you were talking a good Super C like a Seneca built on a real truck chassis that would be different. We looked at those also but for our needs and places we go with ours it was not a fit and much expensive that your four winds.
One question if you have a four winds super c why are you in a Forest River Forester blog? Looking to upgrade?
allagante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #16

Super C

I did a google search on thor super c forums and the forest river forum came up. As for towing yes I do tow a Jeep Wrangler so once set up I don't have to unhook the electrical, water, sewer, to view the local sites the motor home stays put. Now can you honestly say that when you went up that 10,000 foot pass that your class C did not have to down shift to run in the power band. There lies the difference the power band for a diesel is in the lower rpms where peak torque of 660 pound feet is achieved between 1500 and 2000 rpms when you add a toad to the equation then you will realize the difference, especially navigating long steep grades, where with a diesel it had little affect.
bemmerz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:52 PM   #17

The 550 V8 diesel engine has far more tuning capability to get even more torque for pulling through the hills and mountain passes but I still would have a hard time paying 30 to 50K just for that chassis and engine option.

As for the 450; my V-10 screams like heck when pulling my Elantra GT and going up big hills and through mountain passes. Even to the point where my wife has mentioned that we should have bought the 550!

Frank
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
Old 02-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #18

Mine screams too. Since I already bought the 450 gasser I am looking at cheaper upgrade solution. I am going to spend some money to upgrade my door speakers. ☺
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #19

Yep, I just turn my hearing aids down!

Frank
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
Old 02-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemmerz3 View Post
I doubt that you were comparing your 3051s to a Thor Super C.
I think that's exactly what he was doing and I think it was a valid comparison.

3051 Forester:
305HP & 420 ft lbs of max torque at 3250 rpms. Rough MSRP $112k

Super C:
300HP & 660 ft lbs of max torque at 1600 rpms. Rough MSRP $161,000

No question, the diesel is nice. Looks like for the extra length and cost he felt comfortable enough with a gas Class C. It's not for everybody, but I think the comparison is one commonly looked at.