Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #1

FR 3011 first camp out new unit

I took possession of my new 3011 a couple weeks ago but life prevented me from doing more than moving some stuff in and storing it.

Last night we took it to a local CG and started learning this units' ways.

To start, I am scared of no controls for any system, other than the computer, if I want a light turned on - I ask the computer, if I want the heat to be higher - I ask the computer, if I want to check the gray water - I ask the computer., awning, night lights, etc.... As a pre-baby boomer I find that a bit scary. Time will tell if I am worrying for no reason, but the pessimist in me says I want to control things when the computer goes on strike and it ain't going to happen with this setup..

A general question to you all. we found three rubber tipped aluminum pipes (like shower rod) in various cabinets. they are cut to the length (less than two feet) of the slide opening travel. Are they left there by accident from assembly or am I to use them while traveling to keep the slides from opening? (I had a fifth wheel where this was necessary) I find no info about this..

Any thoughts about the new sanitation hose set up? my first experience this morning was not a good thing. Why change from a good technology ? I see changes coming on my unit by me.

We were in the twenties over night and I was happy that the unit was almost draft free and the heater easily kept up.

I had thought that the walk thru that I had at closing was the best one I have ever had after several previous units we've bought new, but we found ourselves reviewing the owners manuals many times during the day (thank God they were there in their trusty plastic wraps) - ( I did not find the internal computer system much help for info- they need some work on that, there was not real depth to what they presented and I needed the printed manuals).

Am I happy with the new unit? Yep, I know that these units try to appeal to all people in all ways. But in the end it's a bunch of trade offs. As long as it doesn't leave me stranded on the side of some highway in the middle of no-where, I'll be able to fix or get fixed the rest.
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:08 PM   #2
Chief tinkerer

Welcome Hailey. Congrats on the new coach. We did the same... read all the manuals.... ask a ton of questions at the walk through. These forums are the greatest. You will be hard pressed to have a problem that someone on here hasn't experienced and gladly offer solutions. Most questions have already been answered, so hone your search skills.
The bars are slide locks to lock it retracted to get you home if the drive fails.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #3

Congratulations on the new C !

Electronics - You should be able to control all lights above the kitchen counter, lights above table & couch ( or recliners), and in bathroom with push button controls.

Do you have the phone app for the electronic controls ? Works great !

The new sewer hose system can be a issue ! We had campgrounds in Ohio ( state park) , Va ( KOA) and Fl ( Private park) where the sewer connector did not fit ( lock in ) and I had to physically hold in place to dump! Just would not fit snugly / firmly enough for me to trust ( unlike the Rhino where you can lock it into place and forget about it). I have also stayed now in a few parks both state & private where it does fit in tightly / securely!

Good people on this site with much more knowledge / experience than I, so ask away with any questions !

Best of luck and Happy Camping !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #4

Congrats on the new unit!

On your questions on the computer and sewer hose, I see those as solutions to problems I didn't have. I'm really trying to keep an open mind!

For the sewer hose, you can buy an inexpensive adapter from the manufacturer or on Amazon to use the regular bayonet hoses. I still use the old hoses when I'm more than 20' from the sewer connection.

I was also furnished with the slides "locking poles" but found that none of them are the correct length to secure the slides. On previous RVs, we started out using them, but eventually stopped. The slides on the MH don't seem to be going anywhere so I'll leave mine un-locked.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #5

Congratulations on your new rig! I don't use the slide locks while traveling, slides stay put. I keep them handy, in case they are needed.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #6

2015 3011ds

It's amazing that our unit is antiquated after 2+ years. We have no electronics to look at except we're still trying to figure out all the GPS/radio stuff. I always carry a heavy stone and/or piece of wood to keep weight on the finally elbow that goes in the sewer opening. Don't use it often . . . but good to have.

We love our 3011DS and we too, welcome you to the family. This forum does have a wealth of information. Some from screw-ups, some from experience and some from the tech people. Enjoy your unit and come back often. Happy Camping.
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #7
2014 SunSeeker 2300

FR 3011 first camp out new unit

I was also furnished with the slides "locking poles" but found that none of them are the correct length to secure the slides. On previous RVs, we started out using them, but eventually stopped. The slides on the MH don't seem to be going anywhere so I'll leave mine un-locked.[/QUOTE]

You’re right. The slides don’t go anywhere, UNTIL you have a shear pin that shears and the gear motors no longer holds the slide in place. It’s a little unnerving to be driving down the interstate to look in the mirror to see your slide slowly extending out. What an ordeal that turns into! Trying to get it pushed back in when it’s like 24’ long and has your living room and kitchen inside. With the pin sheared on the drive you can’t just push a button to bring it back in. All from a $.15 shear pin that cost me over $200 to get it installed because of its inaccessible location. Only had to do that to me twice in a couple years. I used the bars every time after that experience and after dealing with slide issues for the last fifteen years I no longer have a slide and I doubt I ever will again. Too many problems. I like the extra space they provide but the cost, mentally, physically and financially is more than I’m prepared to deal with. They are inconvenient to put in but another two minutes of packing up beats hours on the side of the road trying to push the slide in and trying hold it in place.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #8
Citrus County, Fl.

Congratulations!! You are going to love your 3011. Ours is a 2016 purchased in June of 2015

Only "major" issue we had with ours was the Dometic A/C needing replaced twice. I imagine you have the Atwood so you should be good. (Much quieter and more efficient)

As others have mentioned, the bars are only in case the slides start to creep out. Hopefully you will never need them.

One thing to remember if they did not point it out in your pre delivery inspection....With the bedroom slide make sure you hold the button down for 5-7 seconds after it extends or retracts to keep the motors synchronized. Not necessary for the living room slide.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:41 PM   #9

Welcome to the site, I got a 2016 3011..only problem Ive had was w/ the ac unit went out ..Plus I don't have any of the new computer stuff either..have had mine 22 months and 9500 miles later, It been a great RV

enjoy your new rig
No-Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:19 AM   #10

Congratulations! We have a 2017 3011. Love it! I've learned so much from these forums and the people in them. I've never had a problem or question that hasn't been solved through here!
Old 12-15-2017, 09:02 PM   #11

Worked on it today to do the touches I like in a camper and my own home. I am a freak for keeping things neat and in their place. I keep every cable/hose/rope hanging in it's locker. tomorrow will be the drawers for the kitchen and the dividers to keep the items organized. I found in a local big box lumber store an oak 1/4 x 2 strip that is perfect for drawer dividers.
Call me felix unger..
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #12

Remember to run the genny. Good time is when you are in the unit piddling around. Check the oil level, start it and let it run with a little load.
A running genny is a happy genny.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:30 PM   #13

Question Where do you place those little rods on the slides?

It was mentioned that the rods are to be used should the slide come out? Where are they placed?
BeachFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:10 PM   #14

On the inside, top of the closed slide, wedged between the backside of the trim and the inside wall. I carry them and will use them in the event I have a slide drive failure. Hope this helps.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote