Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2017, 07:31 PM   #1

Unhappy FR 3011 first trip slide issue

A few days ago I posted that I was starting out on my maiden voyage with my new 3011
Besides new owner stupidity I have had few problems with the unit thus far, except a problem with the bedroom slide. I keep getting error messages and shut downs and it scares the hell out of me that i'm going to get stranded with my slide out.
Yesterday in Myrtle Beach I was able to get a service call from Campers Inn and was very lucky to get a tech that actually works for Lippert, the maker of the swintech (spelling) slides. He was very competent and well versed in the system and showed me how to get myself out of any trouble I might get into during my trip. He also took many pictures of my installation and documented the situation that I have. According to his training my rig is not built right and I don't have rollers supporting where the slide out box goes out of the wall. Without the rollers my box will distort as it goes out and the motors will go out of sync causing my system faults. He showed me that my slide out box is having trouble tracking correctly because it's not coming out even and all the weight is on the motor drive assembly.
I can see that I will have an uphill struggle getting all the people involved in line to do this repair that will probably involve removing the whole slide box.

Wish me luck.
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:51 AM   #2

On my unit a roller was installed without the slide box being removed. It took the service tech about an hour and not a real big thing. They blocked the bottom of the slide and jacked it up with a floor jack. Then just installed the new roller.
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:48 AM   #3

I値l be following this thread...
Old 12-31-2017, 05:00 AM   #4
Road Trippin

I just got my 2017 3011 out of the shop because my rear slide failed. The motor on the right side (closest to the shower) stopped working and I got the red fault line across the control panel. The motor was replaced and everything seems fine now. Hope it doesn't happen again. Could you share pictures about what was done incorrectly on your rig so other 3011 owners can compare? Also what were you told about getting the slide in if it gets stuck Out? I was told by the shop that I should just call a Mobile RV tech. That's kinda hard to do when you camp where I do.
pismolocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:04 AM   #5
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
Same here.

While my Sunseeker is the sister (or brother) to the Forester, I always watch for issues on both sub-forums. So far, knock on wood, I haven't had any issues in the many times I've put my slide out.

Hope your issue get resolved quickly, Hailey.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:36 PM   #6

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailey View Post
A few days ago I posted that I was starting out on my maiden voyage with my new 3011
Without the rollers my box will distort as it goes out and the motors will go out of sync causing my system faults. He showed me that my slide out box is having trouble tracking correctly because it's not coming out even and all the weight is on the motor drive assembly.
I have the exact same problem on my Coachman and have already replaced a shear pin and then the shaft and gear assembly. My slide has no guides other than my hands to keep it in position. I have contacted Coachman and was told nothing is wrong.
I have attempted to fashion guide wheels to both the top and bottom of the slide but still have not come up with a workable solution. I plan on attending the Chicago RV show and tracking down Lippert to find a better solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout Gear (600x800).jpg
Views:	156
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	159362  
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
psribbens

I値l be following this thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
I値l be following this thread.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:51 PM   #9

Quote:

Besides new owner stupidity I have had few problems with the unit thus far, except a problem with the bedroom slide. I keep getting error messages and shut downs and it scares the hell out of me that i'm going to get stranded with my slide out.

Yesterday in Myrtle Beach I was able to get a service call from Campers Inn and was very lucky to get a tech that actually works for Lippert, the maker of the swintech (spelling) slides. He was very competent and well versed in the system and showed me how to get myself out of any trouble I might get into during my trip. He also took many pictures of my installation and documented the situation that I have. According to his training my rig is not built right and I don't have rollers supporting where the slide out box goes out of the wall. Without the rollers my box will distort as it goes out and the motors will go out of sync causing my system faults. He showed me that my slide out box is having trouble tracking correctly because it's not coming out even and all the weight is on the motor drive assembly.

I can see that I will have an uphill struggle getting all the people involved in line to do this repair that will probably involve removing the whole slide box.

Wish me luck.

Had the same problem. Mine would start cock to one side and stop. Called lippert. He tried to explain to me what to do but couldn't get it in. Eventually by jogging the switch I got it to retract. Spent the week on the campsite with the slide in. Not very enjoyable. Thank you Forest River. I too have a slide that does not contact the rollers on the bottom. When I told the guy at lippert it didn't he said some do and some don't. 🤷*♂️Thanks again Forest River. Had to have both motors replaced.

Can you tell me what the tech told you to do if it malfunctions again?
Did they ever get your rollers to contact the bottom of the slide.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachsailor View Post
On my unit a roller was installed without the slide box being removed. It took the service tech about an hour and not a real big thing. They blocked the bottom of the slide and jacked it up with a floor jack. Then just installed the new roller.

Did they just replace it with a bigger roller, Or shim up the the one already there? Hard to believe these things leave the factory like this. On second thought, no it's not. Thanks Forest River.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:

Can you tell me if they put in bigger rollers or shimmed the ones already there? Did they have to disconnect anything on the tracks? How high did they jack it up? Here are a couple of photos of my problemClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	161431Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0137.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	161433

The one in front is about 1/8" low. The one in back is 1/4" low.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #12

Quote:

Wish me luck.

Any info yet on whether or not they fixed the slide and how they did it. There are a number of people including myself very interested in the repair and how they did it. I am thinking about doing a post asking anyone that is having bedroom slide issues to respond. Maybe we can get Forest Rivers attention.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #13

I too continue to follow knowing that at anytime my shaft will again break.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #14

I have not had any problems with the slides, but have noted that some don't rest on both rollers. Forest ?River said they will eventually settle on to them.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I have not had any problems with the slides, but have noted that some don't rest on both rollers. Forest ?River said they will eventually settle on to them.

How about if it doesn't contact either roller? Forest River's response to you is ridiculous.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:41 PM   #16

The roller was missing. Dealer claimed it must have fallen out. Not sure how that would have happened since the slide weight is on it and there is a lip on the outside edge. When the new one was installed there was full contact with the roller.
With the slide extended they put a 2 ft 2 x 4 across the bottom of the slide towards the outer edge. Then a floor jack using the 2x4 to spread the load. Jacked up the slide about 2 inches and worked the new roller in place. The put the screws in using and offset screw driver. Not sure the screws do much more than keep the roller lined up correctly because when i checked the screw holes when the roller was missing there is nothing backing the metal edge the screws went through.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #17

When they jacked the slides, I assume the gear rack was able to disengage from the gears and reengage when the slide was lowered.
Do you know if the slide was fully extended when they jacked it up? My slide rollers are Ok but that is a lot of weight running on just 3 roller..
Your rollers are bolted, mine just have a bradded axle and are just solid plastic. We're your rollers replaced?
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:22 AM   #18

Quote:
The roller was missing. Dealer claimed it must have fallen out. Not sure how that would have happened since the slide weight is on it and there is a lip on the outside edge. When the new one was installed there was full contact with the roller.
With the slide extended they put a 2 ft 2 x 4 across the bottom of the slide towards the outer edge. Then a floor jack using the 2x4 to spread the load. Jacked up the slide about 2 inches and worked the new roller in place. The put the screws in using and offset screw driver. Not sure the screws do much more than keep the roller lined up correctly because when i checked the screw holes when the roller was missing there is nothing backing the metal edge the screws went through.

Thank you. Do you know if they disengaged anything on the inside before jacking it up? I believe every Forest River owner needs to get under their slide and check this out before their slide fails. I do not think there is any way they could not have seen these things before they left the factory. I would like to know how many people have these particular slide problems. Forest River hopes the slides function for at least 12 months. They then ask you for your VIN #, when you call for help, and tell you it's not their problem anymore. Thanks Forest River.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #19

The slide was fully extended and they did not disengage anything. Just put the bracing and jack under the slide(about 3/4 distance to the outsideof the slide) and lifted it enough to put the new roller in place. The hardest part was getting the screws in because the service person had so little maneuvering room. What was really strange is that the roller had been there at one time, you could see the marks the roller had made on the slide when it had been extended. My rollers are similar to the ones in the above pics.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #20

Even with the roller missing the slide functioned correctly. In looking at newer versions for the same model, Forest River has reduced the number of rollers and changed the placement of the rollers.

Tags
slide