Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #1

Freelander Tire Explosions...

So, twice we've had the rear inner tire on our 08 Freelander blowout. Both times I'm pretty sure it was from a road object and both times the resulting carnage from the tire shredding itself caused extensive damage to the undercarriage.

First the right side blew and took out the metal fender skirt, sent shrapnel through the wall into the storage area, and ripped out the formed-in storage tub in the floor of the storage area.

Second time, opposite side, blew the inner tire again, took the metal fender well and bent it forward into the outer tire and chewed a good chunk of the tread off of it before I could get it stopped. Resulting shrapnel took out the sewage dump valve and associated piping for the gray water system and left the black leaking (it was virtually unprotected since the fender well was bent out of the way).

So, I have upgraded to higher load, better tires and am repairing the piping. Will also design a more effective fender well cover and protective barrier that will not be grabbed by flying tire shrapnel and ripped off. Something to deflect the energy instead of trying to resist it.

These tire were only 4 years old but cheap.

And the design of the fender skirting was , in a word, stupid. Testing for blow out conditions would have shown that. And a blowout is a given with these things under constant load. At least, that's how I feel.

Keep an eye out boys and girls...and talk to your tire guy.
jacksharp1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #2

I lost an inner tire and my insurance covered the wheel well replacement. What tires did you choose?
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #3

Les Schwab

is my tire store and they recommended a Dean Tire, Back Country Touring Load Range E.

The one that blew was a Sailun Terramax. Its the 2nd one that I've had that blew like that. I replaced all four in the back.

Didn't really think about using my insurance as I have a high deductible. I've already repaired the sewage dump and tucked it in a little higher. I'll have to bend a little more when hooking up to drain but it will protect it from road debris more.

The original fender skirt h=was a heavy guage metal plate that was bolted to a support member and extended straight down in front of the black water tank protecting it from debris. It stopped at the bottom edge of the tank and left it expose to the flap of tire tread that seperated when it blew. The tread, spinning while still attached to the tire, wrapped around the edge of the steel plate and bent it forward shoving it into the outer tire. The new one I'll build will either be of thick reinforced rubber (like a mud flap) that extends closer to the ground or a metal one that extends back under the tank so the tire tread will have nothing to grab onto.
jacksharp1959 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire