Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 500
Fresh water drain cap

So I finally got our RV back this past weekend after 4 weeks in the shop and was doing some prep work before our first trip. One of the things that the dealer did was to de-winterize the RV. Interesting enough the system still had quite a bit of antifreeze in it that I had to flush out before I could add water to the holding tank. Is it normal that the RV owner has to flush the system after having the unit de-winterized?

Anyway, after completing that task it was time to put some water into the fresh water tank. I put the hose in the RV, turned on the water and started the fill-up. After watching the LED status light inside the RV stay on one light for a few minutes I thought that kind of strange. So I went outside to see if the water was actually flowing and much to much surprise there was a steady stream of water coming from the rear of the vehicle. Looking underneath I found that the water was coming out of the fresh water tank drain line which had no cap on it. (see photo) So sometime between my PDI in January and picking up my RV from some warranty work and de-winterizing, the cap either fell off or was taken off and never put back on. In either case its probably not worth the time or tolls to take it back to the dealer to be fixed and since this would minimal effort and time on my part I would rather just do it myself. However, after doing some searches on the internet I could not find the right type of cap for this application.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I could find this part?

Thanks

RVr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160508_120633.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	489.6 KB
ID:	107359  
__________________

__________________
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Wandering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 446
Fresh water drain cap

Interesting my blue line has a valve at the end. That said there is also a valve inside the water pump compartment. Closing that valve will keep water from running out. No valve outside may be better as I am worried about water freezing during winter camping.

The red line is the low point drain for the hot water lines. Like mine it has a black screw on cap. I was worried about loosing it so bought a schedule 40 screw cap at the home store and carry as a backup.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1462809845.184233.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	107372


Forester 2451s
__________________

__________________
Forester 2451s
Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Wandering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
Interesting my blue line has a valve at the end. That said there is also a valve inside the water pump compartment. Closing that valve will keep water from running out. No valve outside may be better as I am worried about water freezing during winter camping.

The red line is the low point drain for the hot water lines. Like mine it has a black screw on cap. I was worried about loosing it so bought a schedule 40 screw cap at the home store and carry as a backup.
Attachment 107372


Forester 2451s

Here is a picture of the valve from another thread. My storage bin was full!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1462810913.618976.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	107373


Forester 2451s
__________________
Forester 2451s
Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
HopHed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 126
The blue line does not have a cap on the outside. The shut off valve is in the bin above, with the water pump, as indicated in the prior post.
__________________
1978 Ford Rollalong
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29V
2016 Forester 2861DS (11-13-15)
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
Interesting my blue line has a valve at the end. That said there is also a valve inside the water pump compartment. Closing that valve will keep water from running out. No valve outside may be better as I am worried about water freezing during winter camping.

The red line is the low point drain for the hot water lines. Like mine it has a black screw on cap. I was worried about loosing it so bought a schedule 40 screw cap at the home store and carry as a backup.
Attachment 107372


Forester 2451s
Wandering,

I may have had a valve on mine too before it went missing but I'll never know now. Interestingly enough I just got back from Lowes and was actually going to buy a valve similar to yours but could not remember if it was 1/2 or 3/4 tubing.
__________________
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHed View Post
The blue line does not have a cap on the outside. The shut off valve is in the bin above, with the water pump, as indicated in the prior post.
Not sure that is the case with my 3011. If I follow the blue drain line from the tank it seem to go through the floor right where the outlet line is below the coach. (see attached). So unless it does something unexpected happening, I am assuming that it does just that. However, it sounds like I may have to recheck this just to make sure. That would certainly help explain why nothing is there and would make it a bit easier to drain the tank, unless the bin is full.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160508_120519.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	107377  
__________________
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 500
Seems I still have a picture on my phone that I did some new eyeballing on. So while I was right about the drain going through floor, it also looks like it is probably that same tube that feeds the water pump and then uses the valve to drain the tank. I will definitely try that at the next opportunity and thanks for the feedback. In lieu of not have an illustrated operational manual for all the plumbing in the RV, this forum is the next best thing!

RVr
__________________
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #8
Occasional campers
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
So I finally got our RV back this past weekend after 4 weeks in the shop and was doing some prep work before our first trip. One of the things that the dealer did was to de-winterize the RV. Interesting enough the system still had quite a bit of antifreeze in it that I had to flush out before I could add water to the holding tank. Is it normal that the RV owner has to flush the system after having the unit de-winterized?

Anyway, after completing that task it was time to put some water into the fresh water tank. I put the hose in the RV, turned on the water and started the fill-up. After watching the LED status light inside the RV stay on one light for a few minutes I thought that kind of strange. So I went outside to see if the water was actually flowing and much to much surprise there was a steady stream of water coming from the rear of the vehicle. Looking underneath I found that the water was coming out of the fresh water tank drain line which had no cap on it. (see photo) So sometime between my PDI in January and picking up my RV from some warranty work and de-winterizing, the cap either fell off or was taken off and never put back on. In either case its probably not worth the time or tolls to take it back to the dealer to be fixed and since this would minimal effort and time on my part I would rather just do it myself. However, after doing some searches on the internet I could not find the right type of cap for this application.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I could find this part?

Thanks

RVr
Your description talks about the fresh water tank drain, but the picture looks like what on our rig is the cold water system drain. Our fresh water tank drain is a fairly small petcock type valve. Our system drain is a fitting with a cap, on the blue tube like your picture. For our tank drain (which got brittle and crumbled) I wound up getting a replacement from the dealer; nothing else worked as well. For the system drain I'd think you probably could get suitable parts from Lowe's, hardware store etc.
__________________
Ray and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
So I finally got our RV back this past weekend after 4 weeks in the shop and was doing some prep work before our first trip. One of the things that the dealer did was to de-winterize the RV. Interesting enough the system still had quite a bit of antifreeze in it that I had to flush out before I could add water to the holding tank. Is it normal that the RV owner has to flush the system after having the unit de-winterized?

Anyway, after completing that task it was time to put some water into the fresh water tank. I put the hose in the RV, turned on the water and started the fill-up. After watching the LED status light inside the RV stay on one light for a few minutes I thought that kind of strange. So I went outside to see if the water was actually flowing and much to much surprise there was a steady stream of water coming from the rear of the vehicle. Looking underneath I found that the water was coming out of the fresh water tank drain line which had no cap on it. (see photo) So sometime between my PDI in January and picking up my RV from some warranty work and de-winterizing, the cap either fell off or was taken off and never put back on. In either case its probably not worth the time or tolls to take it back to the dealer to be fixed and since this would minimal effort and time on my part I would rather just do it myself. However, after doing some searches on the internet I could not find the right type of cap for this application.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I could find this part?

Thanks

RVr
This doesn't have a cap the turn off is inside of the compartment where the water pump is located if it is in line with the waterline turn it a quarter turn.
__________________
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 10
I've considered putting the same type of shutoff (in the compartment) on the red line, the hot water low point drain. I don't like how it relies on that threaded cap hanging below. You could lose the cap, or what I actually fear is something hitting it and breaking it. You'd be without running water at that point.
__________________

__________________
jovialjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drain, fresh water, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.