Old 07-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #1

Fresh water tank is filling from city water

I have tried the shut off city water, relieve pressure. Turn on water pump. Run water to sinks from freshwater tank for awhile. Turn off pump. Turn on city water.

Drained fresh water tank.

It refills. This started today. The water pump was on with the fit water on. It overfilled the fresh water tank.

Any other tricks to reset the check valve in a 2018 FR 2501 TS?

Thanks. rch

RHOUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:36 PM   #2

unhook from city water to relieve the preassure. turn the pump on and off a few times while opening a facuet and it should reset unless its stuck and need to rebuild or replace

Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Hereís the cause and possible fixes:
Help! My freshwater tank is filling from city water
Old 07-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #4

Even if you do reset the valve built into the pump chances are it will happen again when someone forgets and turns the pump on while hooked to city water.

Here's a pretty much permanent solution for $9

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This check valve is designed to be added between pump and inlet screen or suction hose and inlet screen and it will allow water to be sucked in from tank but not flow back into tank.

Depending on your installation it may be necessary to add a 1/2" NPT Street Ell (female on one end, male on other, making a 90 degree bend).

Due to the direction of flow and orientation of male/female threads it can't be added to the pump outlet unless adapters are used. (a couple of 1/2" close nipple and a 1/2" coupler.)

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOUSER View Post

. The water pump was on with the fit water on.
When connected to city water, the water pump should be off. Re do the procedure above and keep water pump off.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #6

This subject comes up about three times a week and there is a ton of material on this forum repeating the problem and solutions over and over, ad nausaem. You can often save yourself a lot of time by using the search function.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Gordon View Post
This subject comes up about three times a week and there is a ton of material on this forum repeating the problem and solutions over and over, ad nausaem. You can often save yourself a lot of time by using the search function.
When I read thread titles that appear to be old topics, and I have no interest, I just don't read therm.

Yes, one can use the search function but not everyone is adept at finding the answers they are looking for by doing so.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-20-2019, 04:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Even if you do reset the valve built into the pump chances are it will happen again when someone forgets and turns the pump on while hooked to city water.

Here's a pretty much permanent solution for $9

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This check valve is designed to be added between pump and inlet screen or suction hose and inlet screen and it will allow water to be sucked in from tank but not flow back into tank.

Depending on your installation it may be necessary to add a 1/2" NPT Street Ell (female on one end, male on other, making a 90 degree bend).

Due to the direction of flow and orientation of male/female threads it can't be added to the pump outlet unless adapters are used. (a couple of 1/2" close nipple and a 1/2" coupler.)
I put one of these on my Rockwood 2902WS but I put it on the outlet side of the pump instead of where water comes in to the boondocking pump. I stils had some water in my fresh tank a couple of weeks ago.

2019 Forest River Rockwood 2902WS 33'9"
Previous owner of Jayco Whitehawk DSRL and Jayco Jay Feather.
Sticki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticki View Post
I put one of these on my Rockwood 2902WS but I put it on the outlet side of the pump instead of where water comes in to the boondocking pump. I stils had some water in my fresh tank a couple of weeks ago.
Is the check valve between pump and point city water enters the system?

Also, you mentioned "Boondocking Pump". Do you "boondock"? If not, and don't use the water pump (traveling with an empty tank) it's possible the valve is backwards.

If you put it on the outlet side of the water pump you should have installed a close nipple in the female end and a coupler on the male end which reverses the way it's attached to the pump but allows for the correct direction of flow.

Water in this check valve flows from male threaded end to female threaded end.

Something to check. If all is correct I'm surprised as water is making it past two check valves.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #10

Of the 4 rvs I've owned since 2011, one them, not sure which one, had no gravity feed fill for fresh water. Only way to fill FWT was to hook up to city water and open a valve under the sink. When water started running out the FWT overflow, I would turn off the valve under the sink. The valve under the sink had an oblong silver handle, like you see behind a residential toilet. Of those 4 rvs, 3 were Forest River, and one was a KZ. It may have been the KZ. DW gave me so much grief, deservedly so, about trading every 2 years, I don't have much butt or memory left to work with.

Rugman1952 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, fresh water, tank, water, water tank