Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank Issue

Hi, All, I recently purchased a 2013 3011 DS, and we really love the coach. The issue: when hooked up to the city water connection the fresh water tank constantly fills and overflows. We had it in to Camping World in Lakewood NJ and they could not recreate the problem. Is there a diverter valve under the freshwater tank I am overlooking? All I can find in the low-point drain valve. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Rossriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
Commercial Member

The city water should not be filling the tank at all. That only gets fed by the gravity fill.

I Think someone else on here had the same issue a while back and it had to do with the water pump itself. Some sort of back flow preventer not working.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:16 AM   #3

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tem-72853.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #4

I had the same issue on my 2015 3011 as well, the dealer had no cure but speculated that the pump is supposed to "act" like a check valve to prevent this from happening but was failing in that respect...

Solution when we were last out was to turn off city water while hooked up and away from the coach, the only problem was we stopped making ice when the water was off which sucked...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
darthdavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthdavo View Post
I had the same issue on my 2015 3011 as well, the dealer had no cure but speculated that the pump is supposed to "act" like a check valve to prevent this from happening but was failing in that respect...

Solution when we were last out was to turn off city water while hooked up and away from the coach, the only problem was we stopped making ice when the water was off which sucked...

The pump has a check valve and that is most probably your issue but when you shut off the shore water why didn't you turn on the pump so you could still have ice made with water from your holding tank while you were gone. Oh well.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:25 AM   #6

Fresh Water Tank "Auto" fill

Thanks for the response Bubbles! I thought about leaving the pump on while we were gone but I have already experienced a quick connect fitting under the kitchen sink popping off on it's own once when I turned on the pump at the campground. Luckily we were in the coach and fixed it right away when we noticed the situation but I had nightmares about leaving the pump on and taking off on a ride for a couple of hours to come back to a swamp fest... Better to just bring back a bag of ice on those occasions I was thinking! I do love the coach though, getting ready to head out tomorrow for the Star Wars celebration in Anaheim, CA. May the force be with you!
Old 04-15-2015, 12:33 AM   #7

i did not respond earlier ,being unfamiliar with the coach. since the rep says its gravity only fill, and since we know its a check valve in the pump issue, why not try running the pump to possibly clear debris from the valve. i know...run together sentence
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:56 AM   #8

Red face Fresh water tank issue

Thanks for the reply Crockett! We did try cycling the pump to see if that helped, but I didn't have enough confidence on that to be the overall fix so we resorted to the previous method of just shutting off the water supply...
Old 04-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This is why when not using fw tank and are using city water I leave my fw tank valve open.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthdavo View Post
Thanks for the response Bubbles! I thought about leaving the pump on while we were gone but I have already experienced a quick connect fitting under the kitchen sink popping off on it's own once when I turned on the pump at the campground. Luckily we were in the coach and fixed it right away when we noticed the situation but I had nightmares about leaving the pump on and taking off on a ride for a couple of hours to come back to a swamp fest..
Wouldn't the same apply when hooked to city water? That is constant pressure as well. And that tank won't dry up! Sorry if this gives you more nightmares. Jerry

Old 04-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #11

Covered in post 4. The big concern here is coaches without a gravity fill. They have to have vents that drain water fast enough to prevent tank pressure build up in an overfill situation. Had a custy with one such coach. 4x6 foot flat tank 6" thick under the floor. Had vents on each side that would leak on cornering. So, he put drain valves in them. Put the hose on the female threaded fill and turned it on, thinking it was the city water inlet. Turned the water tank into a 9000 lb jack on the living room floor...it went down to the axles and up from there.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #12

why don't you get a butterfly relief valve or if possible a close valve on the line between the pump and the water supply. The relief valve would not require and manual service. It would work like the pump valve should work.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #13

Replace the F/W pump! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Replace the F/W pump! Youroo!!
too easy.....were looking for a challenge here...
Old 04-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
why don't you get a butterfly relief valve or if possible a close valve on the line between the pump and the water supply. The relief valve would not require and manual service. It would work like the pump valve should work.
I did add a fancy check valve attached to the pump. It worked as you said but cost a huge pressure drop causing the pump to be useless. Best way is to use pump with shore water off. Use 1/4 of the tank and shut it off. Go back on shore pressure and never start the pump again until shore hose is off. Running together causes internal check valve to distort and leak.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #16

Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:22 AM   #17

I had this problem last year and a blown LP regulator on the 1st night out on the road. The bypass valve is the weak link in the ShurFlo 4008 RV pump. ShurFlo sent me a free head assembly for the pump overnight and I changed it out the next morning. Their number is 1-800-854-3218. After careful inspection of the defective valve, it was determined that excessive high water pressure from the park can/ and will cause this valve to open up, letting water reverse flow into the water tank, causing it to overfill. A simple open/close shutoff valve installed between the pump and see through metal strainer will allow you to temporary shutoff the backflow of service water until you can get it repaired. I can take pictures if you would like!

Frank
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #18

Thank you all for your suggestions. The situation has been resolved. Camping World in Lakewood NJ installed a new water pumper yesterday. it was covered under my extended warranty. They reimbursed me for the misdiagnosis from my previous visit and were a pleasure to deal with.
Rossriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:03 PM   #19

Happy they took care of you! I have a spare water pump in my repair kit as backup.

Frank

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:40 AM   #20

If you could take pictures that would be great, happened again on our last outing and was a real pain in the neck, Thanks!

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank