Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Posts: 153
Fridge and furnace not lighting quickly

Hi all, new Forester 3171 here and several issues with gas appliances. I suspect this may be an issue that the gas pressure isn't being appropriately regulated. Here is what is happening. Lease let me know what you think.

1. Fridge- takes no less than 4-5 minutes to stay lit. It will light then go out repeatedly then will finally stay lit. When the flame does light it sounds like it may be getting to much gas. (The sound is as if the the wind is blowing while using my camp chef)

2. Furnace- this will usually light right up but last night when it was cold it would not light at all and would fault. I turned the coach power off and on to try again. It took several cycles of this before it finally lit. Again, close to the same sound as fridge as mentioned above.

3. Hot water heater- This hasn't given me any issues lighting but it does sound like the other appliances when lit though.

Thanks !
__________________

__________________
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
benagi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 631
Steve, I don't like all the problems you have been posting regarding your new 2016 3171. As you know, we have the same unit but it hasn't seen home yet because the passenger slide still not fixed since it arrived at the dealer over a week ago. Wish it was here so I could compare notes with you and try the things you are having problems with. Hope things get better down the road and once you get thru the debugging stage you will be able to enjoy for many years to come.
__________________

__________________
1968 tent trailer
1985 Jamboree 23 ft
1997 Minnie Winnie 25 Ft
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Crockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 833
new tanks are pressure tested with air at the tank factory. when the dealer gets them from FR, they have to be purged. if FR is testing these coaches at the factory they must use their own tanks. so, these tanks arrive at the dealers with compressed air in them. if the dealer fills them on top of compressed air instead of purging it first, then you see where you could have issues. too lean mixture(noisy), and sporadic behavior. just listing this as a possibility...
__________________
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:17 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Steve, I don't like all the problems you have been posting regarding your new 2016 3171. As you know, we have the same unit but it hasn't seen home yet because the passenger slide still not fixed since it arrived at the dealer over a week ago. Wish it was here so I could compare notes with you and try the things you are having problems with. Hope things get better down the road and once you get thru the debugging stage you will be able to enjoy for many years to come.

Well, I could list the million other things that are working. Sorry to concern you. I'm all in in the middle of Yellowstone and there's no better place to be debugging if you catch my drift . I hope they get things figured out for you very soon!!!
__________________
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
new tanks are pressure tested with air at the tank factory. when the dealer gets them from FR, they have to be purged. if FR is testing these coaches at the factory they must use their own tanks. so, these tanks arrive at the dealers with compressed air in them. if the dealer fills them on top of compressed air instead of purging it first, then you see where you could have issues. too lean mixture(noisy), and sporadic behavior. just listing this as a possibility...

Boy, that sounds very likely. Thank you. Would temperature or some other factor play into that? The fridge will eventually stay lit after a while... Just curious.
__________________
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:18 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Crockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
Boy, that sounds very likely. Thank you. Would temperature or some other factor play into that? The fridge will eventually stay lit after a while... Just curious.
try another tank rather than dump gas and refill. just hook up and purge manifold through range for a few minutes. maybe run the water heater a few as well. then check for operation. if all smoothes out, then dump gas. it would seem to me that if the tank sits then the air would settle to the top and be concentrated. once propane was used, the liquid would boil off in the tank and the concentration would lessen. purely speculation on my part...lol. give it a try
__________________
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:52 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Crockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 833
just noticed were talking motorhome here. an extenda- stay would be a nice and easy mod to test this with, especially if you were contemplating the mod anyway. otherwise youll be under the coach hooking up another tank. when i experienced this problem in the past it wreaked havok on smaller flames, especially pilots. youll have to determine the best direction to test this theory depending on the amount of propane youll have to dump and other factors. keep us posted...and good luck.
__________________
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:50 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 505
It takes several attempts to purge air from the lines to keep reefer lit. I start by getting a stove burner lit then start the reefer. Usually takes three tries to stay lit. Once that stays lot furnace and wh are no problem. This is normal start up after winter shutdown
__________________
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:15 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
It takes several attempts to purge air from the lines to keep reefer lit. I start by getting a stove burner lit then start the reefer. Usually takes three tries to stay lit. Once that stays lot furnace and wh are no problem. This is normal start up after winter shutdown

This is taking upwards of 30 tries. It will light and stay lit for 1-5 seconds. Then progressively longer.
__________________
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:19 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
just noticed were talking motorhome here. an extenda- stay would be a nice and easy mod to test this with, especially if you were contemplating the mod anyway. otherwise youll be under the coach hooking up another tank. when i experienced this problem in the past it wreaked havok on smaller flames, especially pilots. youll have to determine the best direction to test this theory depending on the amount of propane youll have to dump and other factors. keep us posted...and good luck.

You're info alone is enough for me to go back to the dealer with to have them figure it out. I'll also price out an extend a stay option for the future.
__________________

__________________
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fridge, furnace, light

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.