Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids View Post
Bobby what kind of blower did you use? Leaf blower or some industrial blower.
It was a somewhat industrial blower.
I'll post photos when I get to my laptop.

Bobby
__________________

__________________
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 492
Here is a photo of the setup using the blower and clear plastic duct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1437004236092.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	83004  
__________________

__________________
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
papap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southwest Louisiana
Posts: 729
Where do you connect blower to camper?
__________________
2016 Forester 3171DS
Work 28 and 28 around the world.
Camp every chance we get

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #24
Bus Driver
 
Deaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
Where do you connect blower to camper?
I'll try and answer for Bobby (Great Idea BTW)

He is using a 110V-AC blower (blue item in picture above) that can be found at tool rental centers and Home Depot in some cases like THIS ONE

From the output of the blower, he installed a plastic "tube" and attached it to a roof vent with the lid removed and sealed the tube around the opening. With all of the doors and windows closed, you turn on the blower creating positive pressure on the inside of the coach. He then sprayed a soapy water mixture around all of the seams and joints of the coach and then watch for bubbles to appear. If pressurized air is escaping, it is there you will find any leaks if they exist.

I am using his approach as we speak (come daylight). I know I have a leak at the roof - Front Cap juncture. I will use a strip of Eternabond Tape to repair
__________________
Deaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
Where do you connect blower to camper?
I typically use the rear vent since there isn't a fan there. It's pretty easy.

I have also used an electric leaf blower ducted through one of the in-ceiling LED light fixtures. I remove the fixture and pop in a flexible duct. This only pressurizes the ceiling/roof (including the fiberglass cap). It's effective but how effective depends on the output of the blower.

Bobby
__________________
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaver View Post
I'll try and answer for Bobby (Great Idea BTW)

He is using a 110V-AC blower (blue item in picture above) that can be found at tool rental centers and Home Depot in some cases like THIS ONE

From the output of the blower, he installed a plastic "tube" and attached it to a roof vent with the lid removed and sealed the tube around the opening. With all of the doors and windows closed, you turn on the blower creating positive pressure on the inside of the coach. He then sprayed a soapy water mixture around all of the seams and joints of the coach and then watch for bubbles to appear. If pressurized air is escaping, it is there you will find any leaks if they exist.

I am using his approach as we speak (come daylight). I know I have a leak at the roof - Front Cap juncture. I will use a strip of Eternabond Tape to repair
Yup, that about sums it up.
My eventual project was to scrape most of the sealant (Dicor?) off at the transition of the front roof to the fiberglass cap as well as any other areas of concern and go with Eternabond. That has been done. I went through everything including skylight and vents. I went through 3 rolls of 2" Eternabond and 2 rolls of 4" (used at the front and back roof transitions). I feel a lot better about the seal of the roof.

Bobby
__________________
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:13 PM   #27
Bus Driver
 
Deaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
I went through 3 rolls of 2" Eternabond and 2 rolls of 4" (used at the front and back roof transitions). I feel a lot better about the seal of the roof.

Bobby
Bobby, Were these 50Ft rolls? I purchased one 4" x 50Ft Roll for the cap joints
__________________
Deaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:48 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaver View Post
Bobby, Were these 50Ft rolls? I purchased one 4" x 50Ft Roll for the cap joints
Yes, they were 50' but I ran it in laps. In other words I ran the first lap on the front from the roof to the transition, the second lap from fiberglass cap and over the transition as well - overlapping the first about 1". Running the Eternabond over to the side was tricky - Eternabond wants to wrinkle. I ran a continuous strip from side to side starting/stopping at the gutter at each side.

I did the same for the back.
I also ran single runs of 4" around skylight and the refrigerator roof vent.
I ran single runs of 2" around the vents and along the roof transition to the sidewall (the one that runs along the top of the sidewall).

I can take some pics if that will help.

Bobby
__________________
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:59 PM   #29
Bus Driver
 
Deaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
Yes, they were 50'
I can take some pics if that will help.

Bobby
Yes, Please do if you would be so kind. I am more concerned then ever

Thanks for your help
__________________
Deaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaver View Post
Yes, Please do if you would be so kind. I am more concerned then ever

Thanks for your help
No problem.
I probably went a bit overboard but I had been fighting leak issues for a while. After the discovery of the "self leveling" sealant failing to bond to certain components of the roof, I didn't trust any of it. I had already used Eternabond and knew how great it stuck to everything.
__________________

__________________
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
leak

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.