Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #1

Front cap leak. Why?

In the spring of 2013 we bought a brand new 3171DS. We used the motorhome to travel from Calgary to Montreal and back (6 weeks) and on several weekend getaways. At the end of October we winterized and had the roof inspected by our selling dealer and put her away for the winter. In the spring of 2014 we pulled her out of storage and started another camping season.

In mid July 2014 (3 months out of warranty) I noticed the headliner in the overhead cab area was discoloured. I took it to my dealer and he broke the news we all hate to hear. Leak in the front cap. He then told me that I was out of warranty and that the cost to repair would be mine to cover. Great. I called Forest River and spoke to a guy (not sure what his name was) but he essentially told me you are out of warranty so pound sand. He didn't care if I was only 3 months out warranty, it was now my problem. A few days later we had a huge storm roll through and it dropped massive hail down on us causing some damage to my roof. I was able to get in and have it looked at by a repair shop the next day (the same repair shop my dealer used when I discovered the crack under my driver side slide). While there I mentioned the leak in the front cap. He climbed up and said something about a poor job of sealing it and caulked it for me. The repair was temporary for the summer and when they repair the hail damage they will fix the front cap leak as well. I drop off the motorhome mid October for repairs and pick up when it is done. I can't remember off hand what they did but they said good as new no more leak.

Fast forward to today. We are 5 days into a 5 week cross country trip 2300 KMs from home and we had a huge rain storm last night. The kids sleeping up top comment about rain drops on them during the night. I crawl up and the stupid headliner is all discoloured again and a small amount of water is dripping from the speaker above their heads. When I removed the speaker there was water in the cavity where the insulation is. Not much but enough to ruin the headliner and my day. I called the repair shop back home and they booked me in when I return but they are not sure what is going on.

Is it possible that the the front cap isn't securely fastened to the coach and while I drive it bounces around and breaks the seal? I am so frustrated now. I know the repair shop will fix it they normally do very good work, but could this be a bigger problem then just resealing. I'm upset that my dealer didn't want to fight for me the first time when I was only 3 months out of warranty, and I am upset that Forest River didn't step up. I get that no warranty is no warranty, but the motorhome is only 2 years old and I now have had 2 leaks in the front cap. It's not like it's a 10 year old piece of junk it's still smells new.

Sorry about the novel but I am very frustrated. This is our 3rd RV and by far the most troublesome unit I've owned. I did research on class c's and knew of the potential for leaks but never expected it on a brand new unit. We live the floor plan and the flexibility a motorhome offers us for traveling, but I kind of regret selling my fifth wheel.

Oh well. I'm sure everything will get fixed. I'm going to enjoy my vacation and worry about it when I get home. Sorry about the rant.
4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:27 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your roof problems. I was actually interested in the part where you said you found a crack under your slide. I have a 2015 3010 that I posted about a crack in my fiberglass under the slide and didn't really have anyone say they had the same problem. Mine is probably a few inches wide right next to the rear track. When the slide comes in it rests above a thick piece of metal, probably 1/2" to 3/4" thick. It's about the only thing I can see that would make a crack in that area. Can you describe where yours was, what caused it and how you fixed it? Thanks.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #3

I bought a Forest River because they bragged about the no leak front cap. Our Minnie Winnie always leaked in the front but that had a window in the front. Sure hope someone from Forest River can come to the rescue and figure out what the problem is with your unit.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:19 AM   #4
Class C Representative

In 2013 at the end of the season the roof was inspected and they didn't find any issues with the seals around the front cap, then in 2014 you pulled it out of storage and that's when you had issues? Was your unit indoors all winter long?
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #5

The unit was outside over the winter.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
Class C Representative

Our warranty guys work hard to help everyone that calls or comes in. Could there have been any other circumstance besides a factory issue that caused said leak? If I'm not mistaken the climate in Alberta changes almost as frequently as it does in the Midwest. One day it could be Sunny and not a bit of snow on the ground but by 8PM that same day we have a foot of snow and below zero temperatures. Maybe the changing climate had an effect on it over winter.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
Our warranty guys work hard to help everyone that calls or comes in. Could there have been any other circumstance besides a factory issue that caused said leak? If I'm not mistaken the climate in Alberta changes almost as frequently as it does in the Midwest. One day it could be Sunny and not a bit of snow on the ground but by 8PM that same day we have a foot of snow and below zero temperatures. Maybe the changing climate had an effect on it over winter.
Are these units not made for changing climates? I think there will be a lot of disappointed people out there if this is the case.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
Class C Representative

They are more than capable in changing climates. These are just questions to help get to the bottom of your problem.

We are continually improving our product and features which include our cap.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 07-14-2015, 11:45 AM   #9

Our 2012 Forester developed a leak in front cap shortly after purchase.
Upon checking it was found that water was coming through front cab light over the drivers area. The lends was then sealed by service department. They also replaced all areas that was damaged by water.
CJnDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #10

The climate does change often but, the front cap was repaired in early spring. I picked it up just before the May long weekend, so I don't believe climate would have caused this leak. I am wondering if it is because of road vibration. Another possible point of entry could be the clearance lights. We did drive through some rain but not that much.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #11
Class C Representative

Check all the seals around the lights and the front cap. It's always a possibility that somewhere the seal is no longer doing it's job.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #12

Joshua,
for me tell the truth is something best what people can do, but how my experience teach me, Forest River group have so many issues with quality of they craftsmanship and quality control ( so many complain from people who have Forest River group products Rv's and MH's).
Theoretically you are right climate conditions are involved but that much, no way, gat your products more warranty time, 3 years minimum and proof your quality work and cooperate with buyers on manner of real HELP.
Thank you .....
Prism 24G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #13

The seals in the roof and cap joint look good. The repair shop laid something that looks like putty over that seam and then painted it to match the cap. I see no cracks at all.

The clearance lights though have a few water droplets in them. So I am beginning to think that may be the culprit. When we stop for the night I will try to make a temporary stop leak. Any ideas?

Gorilla tape over the entire lens and opening perhaps.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #14

Clearance Lights

4kids those are the lights I was referring to...just could not think of what they were called when I posted.
CJnDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #15
Class C Representative

Any walmart or hardware store should have a sealant for a few bucks that would hold until you got back to your service shop.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:17 PM   #16

Sunseeker fiber glass roofs

Question: On the top of the fiberglass roof is 30 plus screws down each side on top.
Should these exposed screws be covered with dicor
They must be sealed underneath but expose screws does not make one have a comfortable feeling about no leaks...
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:20 PM   #17

looking forward to a response to all the 60 plus screws on the top of the Sunseeker fiberglas roof. one of these are covered with dicore so how are they sealed to prevent leaks Did the factory miss this?
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:20 PM   #18
Class C Representative

Are they not covered with caulk or a sealant of some sort? I don't think I've seen any leave the factory line without a white clump of sealant being put on top of the screw head.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 07-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #19

I too had leaks on my 3171. The dealer only kept caulking the seam from the roof to the fiberglass cap.
I would keep a close eye on any evidence for water getting in.
Each time I drive the coach water would drip from the outside trim corners where it rolls under the overcab (a place it normally would not with rain) and inside by the drivers sunvisor.
I had enough. Knowing how damaging water can be I took my own measures and borrowed a large blower and basically used it to pressurize the coach. Sprayed a soap water mixture around everything. I was shocked at the locations that were bubbling. These are areas that are supposed to be water tight.
In brief; my front cap leaks were the clearance lights, the top seam (even though it had a thick lather of sealant, the sealant doesn't bond to the vinyl trim used to cover the securing screws so water channeled behind the sealant) and the final major leak point was at the cove where the fiberglass cap contours to the side. There is another trim that is basically the gutter system that runs the length of the coach. The securing screws for the gutter trim where it secures in at the fiberglass cap was actually channeling water in. (Sorry, I know I said in brief).
I have photos and documented this well and communicated with FR. I ended up fixing this all myself.
I did a recent pressure check of the coach again and the roof is tight. I have a few windows to seal though.

The crack under the slide should be covered - even out of warranty. The 3171 had a wall framing issue that FR has been taking care of.
If leak history can help you then pm me and I can send you my photos.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #20

Bobby what kind of blower did you use? Leaf blower or some industrial blower.

Tags
leak