Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #1

front slideout track makes awful noise when driving

the front motor area of my full wall slide makes an almost continuous rubbing sound as i travel down the road. the slide works fine going in and out. When in, and driving, it makes an awful sound that is very annoying. The rear slide track does not make any sound.

Anyone know what might be going on? I'm on the road now and need a solution before i lose my mind.

thank you!
Old 09-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Class C Representative

Is the awful noise a scrape, bump, etc?
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:18 PM   #3

it's a rubbing sound. like two parts moving against each other. kind of high pitched.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #4

definitely road bump related but quiet only on the smoothest of roads.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
Class C Representative

Make sure nothing is pinched in along the edges.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #6

I was told that was a normal squeak and rub by my dealers service repair managers as I took both of them for a ride at the same time, it's that little extra that FR provides that others don't
Old 09-16-2015, 10:42 PM   #7

That is my worst nightmare!

Coincident to Joshua's response (thank you), this side of the slide does not fully deploy the weatherstrip. I have to do it by hand. If other things are pinched in the seals i don't have the tools to see them.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #8

Ok...this may be off target per this discussion, but our 24R had a lot of chassis creaking and at least one time, the front track of the slide did not retract all the way. I also noticed a lot of upper chassis sway and bounce while driving down the road. The 24R uses the Daimler 3500 chassis, and I noticed that there was at least 6" between the axle and the upper bumper. I have used Timbren axle bumpers before, which bring the upper chassis down to contact the axle, providing a large amount of reduction in sway and independent movement from the axle. After installing a set, I was amazed at the improved cornering, and a strong sense that the axle and the upper chassis were moving in concert. Most notably, though, and in reference to your problem, the amount of creaking of fiberglass flexing was almost completely eliminated. I would consider it a major handling/driving improvement.
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMulcahy View Post
the front motor area of my full wall slide makes an almost continuous rubbing sound as i travel down the road. the slide works fine going in and out. When in, and driving, it makes an awful sound that is very annoying. The rear slide track does not make any sound.

Anyone know what might be going on? I'm on the road now and need a solution before i lose my mind.

thank you!
My 2014 3051s always made a creeking noise from the front motor area on rough roads but right after having the front slide gear tower bracket replaced we went on a trip and I thought I was going to go mad from the noise it was making. I bought a can of slide seal spray and sprayed the crap out of the seals and in behind of them, it almost took all the noise away. The new sound was like something rubbing together. It also would be worst on left hand turns when the MH body would twist. I now spray the seals inside and out every three to four days when we are out on the road and its bearable.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:13 PM   #10

Where are you spraying I did the slide motor maintenance but haven't sprayed my slide have never sprayed a slide but this will probably my first
Old 09-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #11

Boso I am spraying the long rubber seals that run from the top to the bottom of the slide. There are ones on the outside and the inside.I lift open the ones exposed when the slide is extended and spray in to the inside of the MH then when the slide is retracted I open the seal on the inside and spray towards the outside of the MH. I don't know if this is the problem, but to me, it helps.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #12

slide motor maintenance?

Boso, what maintenance are you referring to? lubrication of the gimbel and coupling? No one has suggested that my problem has come from maintenance i should be doing. i assumed that since the rig is brand new, maintenance (like lubrication) should not be the root cause.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #13

MMulcahy Have you tried spraying the seals to see if that will help them to flip correctly when slide is extended and retracted, this may also help with the sound you hear, the seals rubbing on the fiberglass as you are driving. The slide will move around a bit causing rubbing between the seals, if they are dry you will get a creaking noise. Something to try, a can of slide seal spray is cheap.Even though your rig is new, doesn't mean that the seals are lubed.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #14

MMulcahy no I was asking about spraying the slide seals and I agree with you maintenance on yours like mine should not be an issue
Old 10-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #15

I believe I can tell you what is making the squeaking/rubbing noise. My theory is the Schwintek torque shaft is flexing and rubbing against the sheath covering the shaft.
I believe that when you go over pavement joints, the RV and slide get to moving in different harmonics which cause the shaft to flex and rub against the cover. Also, an issue might be the number of roller supports under the slide not providing proper support for the slide. If you reach back and put your hand in the slide joint while driving you can feel the shaft flexing. I have had good luck with controlling or reducing the noise by sequencing the slide. Do this at least three times and that seem to help.
You did not mention how fast you were going when you heard the noise.
Beachfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out