Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #1

Furnace not working

Before I drop the RV off at the dealer on the way home tomorrow is there anything else that I should check to determine the problem with my furnace?

It was a bit chilly this weekend so I decided to try the furnace before the cold weather sets in. It did work earlier this year however the igniter for the furnace does not seem to be working at this point. The blower comes on but I do not hear any clicking noises indicating the spark ignition system is trying to work , then after 30 seconds the blower shuts down. Also, the other propane appliances in the rv are working fine and I tried re-seating the plug connector to the board but no improvement. The only conclusion I can come to now is that the electronic ignition board is dead an needs to be replaced unless I'm missing something.

RVr
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #2

a low battery will prevent igniter to come on as fan will not turn fast enough to operate air flow switch...might be the issue.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
a low battery will prevent igniter to come on as fan will not turn fast enough to operate air flow switch...might be the issue.
I was all plugged in so no chance of a battery being the issue. I dropped it off at the RV dealer on the way home to have them look at it.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:30 PM   #4

Furnace not working when plugged into house

Heya!

Having a similar issue but not completely foreign to warrant posting a new thread in the forums about it. -Or maybe I need to, I don't know

My furnace will turn on when it is not plugged into the house, (must have the battery charged of course as running it drains it A LOT) but when it is plugged into the house where I am staying for the time being, it will NOT run for more than a minute before turning off completely, never to turn back on.

I've attempted starting it at a lower temp and at a higher temp on another occassion while plugged into the house, but to no avail.

Did you find anything out from the dealer or the repair facility as to why this happens? Cheers!
AshWahine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #5

Of course when the dealer tested it everything worked fine. I walked through the process that I used to troubleshoot and the technician said I was doing it correctly. Maybe it worked for them because they tried it when it was 20 degrees warmer? Who knows.....

Coincidentally we where away last weekend and the temp in the RV got down to 60 in the morning. So it tried the furnace again just to take the chill out of the air and it ran fine for 15 mins.

Those damn gremlins must be at it again!
Old 09-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #6

I had this happen earlier this year in my motorhome.
Being mechanically inclined I removed the heater and check it out.
The problem was the sail switch (micro switch) was not turning on.
I think mine was dusty and dirty and after cleaning it worked great.

The sail switch must sense the air movement and move so then it allows the gas to turn on and ignite.
They have a safety system built into the board that shuts down the unit if the sail switch don't move enough to activate the switch.

Here is more troubleshooting techniques on rv propane furnace.
http://beamalarm.com/Documents/troub..._problems.html
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:15 AM   #7

UGH! How weird.

Well I am up in Leadville Colorado around 10,200ft elevation and it gets to about 20 overnight. So obviously not draining my battery is optimal for me ( )

However, I did turn it on last night when it wasn't plugged into the house (shore plug) and it starts right up and lasts until the annoying beep at 5.45am to tell me I am running low.

I went one further this morning (after i was already up and about, pffft) and plugged it into the house and VIOLA! It works while plugged in and my battery I assume is trickle charging at the same time.

About the dust in the vent, I suppose thats a possibility from where I was camping this summer, but would that really have an effect on plug0in operation only? Since it DID work while I wasn't plugged in.

How weird! Also, its a 2016 233RBS or whatever, So.... i didn't think mechanical operations would have thwarted me so much.

Thanks you two! Your'e fantastic!
Old 09-27-2016, 05:43 PM   #8

Iggy, that's a nice little summary of furnace troubleshooting techniques. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #9

Agreed! Will look into that as well Iggy!

Tags
furnace