Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 11:54 PM   #1

FYI satellite hookup and splitter

Have outside coax connector that is supposed to be for cable/satellite. As most everyone has discovered this doesn't work for satellite. The response is usually that it doesn't work because of a splitter. Satellite will not work with a splitter.

WRONG on the splitter info. Just had a guy out who moved around the wiring in our coach (3011DS). Yes, splitter will not work if installed prior to the receiver but it will work just fine coming out of the receiver. He got the signal to come in from the coax connection then put a splitter coming out of the receiver to the two TV's.

We now have a satellite working connection with the outside coax and the signal now goes to both our front TV and the bedroom TV. Previously bedroom TV only received over the air signal. Didn't run any new cables just redid what was already there.

Everyone is good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #2

This is just what I was doing last Sunday in the driveway (taking apart the kitchen cabinets to figure out where the coax was running).

Although I got the satellite to work thru the outside connection to the living room TV (dish to outside connector to Dish Network Wally, then HDMI cable to living room TV), I don't see how to get the signal to other TVs since the Wally only has a single HDMI out.

Were you using a different satellite receiver?
Old 06-29-2017, 10:22 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Oregon;1546129]Have outside coax connector that is supposed to be for cable/satellite. As most everyone has discovered this doesn't work for satellite. The response is usually that it doesn't work because of a splitter. Satellite will not work with a splitter.

WRONG on the splitter info. Just had a guy out who moved around the wiring in our coach (3011DS). Yes, splitter will not work if installed prior to the receiver but it will work just fine coming out of the receiver. He got the signal to come in from the coax connection then put a splitter coming out of the receiver to the two TV's.
QUOTE]

I believe this forum only addressed the issue with a splitter between the antenna and receiver being a problem. There are those that were confused on this issue but were provided the correct info. You must have missed the posts.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #4

Gee, apparently I did miss that post. Sorry to bother you.

Just pretend my post was for those of us that didn't get the memo and feel free to ignore it.

I was just happy to get it working as I wanted and as Forest River states it does work when it really doesn't.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:29 PM   #5

mbutts, yes different receiver (v211) and to use hdmi I would have to run new cord from TV to receiver and didn't want to try that.

Somewhere I have the wiring diagram that was used to show the connections behind the wall plate and how to change them to get everything to work. Will try and find it or the link to it.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:43 PM   #6

Sat. Receivers

Older receivers had an RF output that could be split and sent to other TVs. The new receivers seem to have dropped this feature, presumably because the noodnicks that design these things can't imagine anyone wanting to use one. I have the same problem with my home satellite system. I have an older PVR receiver that allows me to watch recorded programs on 3 of my TVs. Now they just want to install a receiver on each TV but will only allow 1 PVR per account.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #7

Cable connection on 3011DS

I must have missed the earlier responses. I’m at a campground now with lousy WiFi, trying to watch cable tv. Hooked up camper to supply, tuned the tv to cable. Turned off the antenna and nothing but snowing stations. There is a purple cable from the tv to the camper and another cable plug in the top left cabinet, but no way to connect to the tv! Getting frustrated...can someone send me the link to the proper set up to watch cable tv on a 3011DS. Thanks
Slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #8

Did you do a channel search?
Old 07-30-2018, 12:08 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The RF Cable via RG 59 is about the worst quality for reception. At the very least use composite video and better HDMI.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbutts View Post
This is just what I was doing last Sunday in the driveway (taking apart the kitchen cabinets to figure out where the coax was running).

Although I got the satellite to work thru the outside connection to the living room TV (dish to outside connector to Dish Network Wally, then HDMI cable to living room TV), I don't see how to get the signal to other TVs since the Wally only has a single HDMI out.

Were you using a different satellite receiver?
Were you able to resolve the issue of 1 HDMI output for 2 TVs? I'm in the same situation...tia
OregonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon View Post
mbutts, yes different receiver (v211) and to use hdmi I would have to run new cord from TV to receiver and didn't want to try that.

Somewhere I have the wiring diagram that was used to show the connections behind the wall plate and how to change them to get everything to work. Will try and find it or the link to it.
Did you find/would you please post the link to the wiring diagram info you mentioned?

I'm dealing with a setup for DishTailgater Pro > 2 Wally receivers > 2 TVs, and the factory installed wiring isn't letting us watch 2 TVs with different shows on each. (Right now, I'm running coax thru the sliding door & directly into LR tv via HDMI. Bush-league, but I'm watching Pac12!)
Old 09-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #12

The Tailgater allows for TWO outputs, but the 'secondary' receiver/TV is only going to be able to see shows on the SAME satellite that the main receiver is tuned to/and when the satellite signal was acquired on the secondary...

here's their 'wording'..."• Supports multiple TV viewing (requires two receivers; programming must be on the same satellite)"

tech:
- run the 'main out' coax from the Tailgater to the Main receiver
- plug in the Main receiver and acquire the signal, you should receive all three satellites, or less if one or more is blocked by trees, etc.
- find the channels that the 'SECOND' Tv is wanting to watch, or at least the bulk of channels that the second tv will want to tune to - sat 110 is a good option, especially if it also has you game!
- leave the Main receiver set on one of these channels

- now, run a SEPARTE coax from the 'secondary out' of the Tailgater, hook up to and turn on the Secondary receiver.
- acquire the satellite(it will ONLY be one, the one that has the channels the main receiver is currently tuned to)
- you will then be able to view channels, from that satellite ONLY, on the second TV ....

AND, if you happen to change the channel on the Main Tv to one that originates from a different satellite, then the SECOND TV will see the 'error', or 'channel not available' message.
- you can simply return the MAIN tv to the original channel, and then the SECOND tv will continue to see it's programming.
- in other words, this requires you to remember that the MAIN receiver controls the satellite, but each receiver can switch to any channel ON that satellite. It's not always easy to know which 'satellite' each channel is originating from, but after some trial and error, you will start to see a pattern.
....for instance, 'most' HD channels are from sat129, though there are also some from 110, but sat110 has the majority of channels, but many in SD. sat119 has some specialize channels, mostly in SD. You get the idea.

You CANNOT simple run a single output from the Tailgater to get a multiple receiver setup.

a little confusing, but once you realize that the ANTENNA can only see one Satellite at time, you start to understand what's happening.
The second receiver only 'acquired' the signal of the satellite it originally 'saw', so when the Main receiver changes to a different satellite channel, the 'eye' moves, and the SECOND tv loses it's signal.

I also like the new 'transparent' antenna cover that now comes with the new units - it's a nice way to easy 'see' if the unit is moving as you are acquiring the satellites(even though you can probably 'hear' it, anyway)...wish mine was!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #13

by the way...even though it seems that the advertising for these 'portable' Antennas can give you a signal to multiple different receivers, what they are really saying is that the 'secondary' receiver signal is LIMITED.

NO portable satellite antenna has access to multiple receivers for all satellites that it can acquire, since they all only have one single 'eye' to view a satellite.
The typical household antenna, on the other hand, with THREE 'eyes', can see all three satellite at the same time, and provide full channel and satellite viewing to multiple TV receivers... even the TRAVELER type RV antenna is basically the same, but ALSO provides for automatic movement/acquisition, and stows itself.

The portable antennas that provides 'as you travel' viewing are also only a single 'eye', and pose the same 'multiple tv viewing' limitations, even when parked.

but, there's also nothing that says that you can't have TWO Tailgaters, if you really want TRUE multiple TV viewing!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, lite, satellite