Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #1

Gas tank replacement

The gas tank on our 2007 Sunseeker is rusted and leaking. The company that made it, Fuel Systems Inc., is apparently bankrupt. Does anybody know of a company that makes a plastic replacement gas tank?
hotrodln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #2

Tranfer Flow makes them for trucks and things. I don't know about an rv. If nothing else you may could retro fit one. Look them up on line and call them and see what they can do. A little warning though, they are expensive.
blake2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
Gas Mans

I have to think the moorhome is on a Ford or Chev Chassis and the tank would beavaialble through the appropriate medium duty truck dealership?
Gas Mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #4

i checked with FOrd this morning. they said going by the VIN, that the gas tank must have been added by the RV maker....so i'm still waiting to hear back from my local forest river dealer as to the cost of a replacement unit....but i'm prepared to be shocked so that's why i'm shopping around already....
Old 06-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #5

Check out a few of the Google adds above this thread for gas tanks.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I assume that you have a Ford Cutaway Chassis, either a 350 or a 450. See below for 2008 fuel capacity - under Major Standard Features, and under motorhome prep package if you have it. Doubt they changed from 2007 and it seems they came from Ford with the fuel tank installed.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...me_Class_C.asp
Can't help you if it's a Chevrolet.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
I assume that you have a Ford Cutaway Chassis, either a 350 or a 450. See below for 2008 fuel capacity - under Major Standard Features, and under motorhome prep package if you have it. Doubt they changed from 2007 and it seems they came from Ford with the fuel tank installed.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...me_Class_C.asp
Can't help you if it's a Chevrolet.
yeah that's the one alright! i started the day by calling my local ford dealer....he told me he couldn't "match up the numbers "i gave him.....ended the day with the local RV dealer telling me the ford chasis came with the gas tank on it already. So now you've confirmed what i thought.....why would ford put everything ELSE on the chasis except the gas tank? what a pain that would be for moving the finished frames around??....so tomorrow i'm calling the ford place again...i took a picture of the tag inside the drivers door.....thanks for the advice! Pat
Old 06-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #8

ok so today i found out that the gas tank from ford would be $1500 and i get to put it in........lovely! i've done a google search on replacement plastic gas tanks and i haven't come up with a 55 gallon tank that looks anything like what i have....mostly for boats or smaller sizes....anybody know of a complany that makes them for rv's? thanks pat
Old 06-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

How about repairing your current tank with something like this: Gas Tank Sealer - Gas Tank Liner - Diesel Tank Sealer - Fiberglass Tank Sealer

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #10

i'm thinking about the sealing option.......i just worry that the sealant will eventually break donw and plug my gas filter.......when i'm camping of course.......
Old 06-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
Jas

I've used the tank sealer on old muscle cars. It's a pain but does work. You wil have to pull the tank, gut it, put a piece of chain, ball bearings , gravel or other large abrasive in the tank, cover the openings and spin the tank heartilyto break up the rust scale inside.
Then of course you get to pull all that out. Then you acid etch the tank. Dump that and add some neutalizer. then you clean all of that out, dry the tank and add the primer. And finally you get to add the actual sealer.

After all of that you can put the critter back in. It'll take all weekend if you have everything staged and ready to go.

Have you concidered going to a junk yard and just getting a used tank for $50 (usually with the sending unit still installed)?
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #12

i like the junkyard route, but they won't SEND me a tank.....and i have no RV junkyards close by....i'd even drive few hours to get one....maybe there's one in NJ or PA....i gotta keep looking.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
Jas

if it's a ford frame, the tank out of any ford van/truck should fit. You just need one of the proper vintage. I know the older trucks with dual tanks had 1 tank that ran down the drivers side frame rail from the tranny to the rear axle and the 2nd tank ran across the entire back from the axle to the bumper.

shoot you've done the hard part and figured out which tank it is. who knows, you might get lucky searching for a gas tank on e-bay!

I know I ran across a couple of companies that sold larger tanks for my dodge in that 35-50 gal size.

try googling "ford replacement gas tank"

I've dealt with this company before, good car parts source:

Ford Fuel Tank - Ford Gas Tank | Free Shipping
Old 06-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodln View Post
yeah that's the one alright! i started the day by calling my local ford dealer....he told me he couldn't "match up the numbers "i gave him.....ended the day with the local RV dealer telling me the ford chasis came with the gas tank on it already. So now you've confirmed what i thought.....why would ford put everything ELSE on the chasis except the gas tank? what a pain that would be for moving the finished frames around??....so tomorrow i'm calling the ford place again...i took a picture of the tag inside the drivers door.....thanks for the advice! Pat
if your rig is an 07....isnt there still a frame component warranty from ford?
might not but its worth asking
a fuel tank shouldn't rust through in 3 years, period
rvs are hard on them from sitting, but hey you never know
Old 06-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #15

i ended up buying a new tank from FORD....that's who now took over for "fuel systems inc" that went bankrupt last year. the new tank looked exactly like the old one, but it had Ford stickers all over it. Perfect fit.....$1600....the local Boat and RV warehouse offered to sell me one for $2900.....and i come and get it......i feel sorry for the guy who isn't able to do the labor himself.....it was a terrbile amount of work, and they would charge gawd knows how much to do it.....
Old 06-29-2010, 05:14 AM   #16
Jas

good to hear that you have it fixed & under control. I've pulled a few tanks here and there it's always a challenge positioning floor jacks, ratchet straps, wooden blocks and what not just to ballance the thing.
Did the new tank come with the pump/sending unit installed for that price?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #17

NOPE- i took the sending unit and fuel pump out of the old tank. Since it was an exact replacement everything swapped over. for jacking it up i used one floor jack with a board on it and two scissor jacks from a camaro....i'm soooo glad it's on there and there's no left over issues with gas drips or smells.....time to go camping!

Tags
sunseeker le