Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #21
Berkshire 390QS

when taking an RV to shop, either RV Dealer, Cummins, Freightliner etc. not only tell them what's wrong, show them! when picking up try what ever was going wrong, sometimes more than once to make sure it's fixed. Denny, recommend you take it back and do what you did at home so they really know the problem. Did they charge you anything, I hope not for a new unit.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #22

My #3051S has the converter/charger in the shoreline cord compartment. There are two 35 amp fuses on it. Also, I just ran my generator for one hour with full load and a/c running my inside plugin volt meter indicated 115 volts the entire time. Remember your house battery switch needs to be ON for them to charge!

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #23

While in the shop ask them to make sure its running on both cylinders, I am assuming its a 2 cylinder Onan. In one of your post you mentioned its running better. I am getting the impression that its not running quite right. There are time these 2 cylinder Onans may quit firing on one cylinder and not really notice it until a situation where on a full load it stalls out.
Do you have a plug in electric heater or 2? If only one heater put some water in a bowl and run the microwave while running a heater. You need to get the genny loaded down with something other than the a/c to prove the genny is the issue.
Do you know how many watts the micro is?
We need to get close to the max rating of the genny. Lets say you have 2 heaters, on high they will pull about 1500-1800 watts each depending on the brand, that would load up the genny pretty well.

One heater and a big blow dryer would be about the same.

Use plugs in the rig from different circuits or you will trip a breaker.
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #24

Beginning to sound like a Governor speed/load device. Voltage regulator only functions for keeping a voltage set point, if the governor can't see and respond to a large load change, the unit will stall or overspeed and trip on RPM. Your dealer may have incremented a large load change, but without a sudden dramatic change like a A/C under load instantly, its going down for the count if its defective.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Beginning to sound like a Governor speed/load device. Voltage regulator only functions for keeping a voltage set point, if the governor can't see and respond to a large load change, the unit will stall or overspeed and trip on RPM. Your dealer may have incremented a large load change, but without a sudden dramatic change like a A/C under load instantly, its going down for the count if its defective.
This was going to be my next point.

If the genny runs a full load gradually put on, now with everything running, turn off the main breaker, then turn it back on. This would be putting a full load on at one time and see how the genny responds.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #26

This model Onan is a single cyl. 4000 Watt gen. Everything, including A/C runs fine on shore power. On generator only power the A/C fan will run, the Microwave will run but the 2 together shuts the gen down. The A/C compressor coming on(only thing on) shuts the gen down. The A/C pulls 2.3 amps with fan and 14.1 when compressor kicks in.
Right now this is all I know.
DennyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyH View Post
This model Onan is a single cyl. 4000 Watt gen. Everything, including A/C runs fine on shore power. On generator only power the A/C fan will run, the Microwave will run but the 2 together shuts the gen down. The A/C compressor coming on(only thing on) shuts the gen down. The A/C pulls 2.3 amps with fan and 14.1 when compressor kicks in.
Right now this is all I know.
Okay that ruled out a potential problem with the 2 cyl. issue.

I would still do the load test I suggested above to see if the generator can handle it or not. Being everything works good on shore power I still say it a genny issue. Doing some of your own troubleshooting gives you more info to give the repair facility.

Also what make and model is the a/c unit?
Old 08-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #28

The picture is getting a little clearer!! I replaced the 2 house batteries as they were dead! 11.93V tops. Installed 2 new batteries, plugged in just to top them off and then unplugged to start the gen. It would not turn over! Acted/sounded just like a dead battery in a car. Also batt lights on panel showed no lights. Plug back in and panel batt lights all light up. With MH engine running and of course unplugged from shore power the gen starts right up, but still quits when trying to start A/C. So...... sounds like a converter/charger issue. Goes to the RV Dealer on Friday.

Any thoughts??
Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyH
The picture is getting a little clearer!! I replaced the 2 house batteries as they were dead! 11.93V tops. Installed 2 new batteries, plugged in just to top them off and then unplugged to start the gen. It would not turn over! Acted/sounded just like a dead battery in a car. Also batt lights on panel showed no lights. Plug back in and panel batt lights all light up. With MH engine running and of course unplugged from shore power the gen starts right up, but still quits when trying to start A/C. So...... sounds like a converter/charger issue. Goes to the RV Dealer on Friday.

Any thoughts??
Maybe...

Poor cable connections. Remove, wirebruh ends aand terninals, put back with elec grease.

Disconnect not working.

Improper wiring from battery change.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #30

Battery cables are connected correctly. Cable end clean. Not sure about disconnect, although without shore power and disconnect on, the 12 v systems work, ie lights etc.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #31

Okay- I have some new information. The servicing dealer found the wiring behind the 12 disconnect was loose and that the chassis ground was not connected. This has solved the charging issue. However the genset issue is not resolved. In fact when the 12volt chager/converter kicks in(now that the ground is connected) the generator quits. So.... wait for the next chapter!!! Any ideas out there. Fortunately my dealer has Forest River in the loop. Just very frustrating to spend so much money for such poor workmanship and clearly a lack of a quality system at FR
Old 09-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #32

How bout a fault, wiring or internal componet of the AC? I'm thinking ground fault the gen is sensitive to, but not the shore power.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #33

Okay!!!! Everything is working and I am a happy "camper". There was a wire from the generator to the chassis that although connected, it was "broken" causing it to overheat and shut down the generator under load. Wire replaced and all is good. Thanks to everyone for the input. I would also like to give a plug to a GREAT RV Dealer, A and L RV Sales in Christiana, TN. 615-896-4699. They would not stop until they found the problem!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #34
Denver, CO

wow, how obscure is that.. do we now have to worry about cheap brittle wiring? especially in rigs that vibrate and bounce all the time. Hope that is a REAL rare case.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
wow, how obscure is that.. do we now have to worry about cheap brittle wiring? especially in rigs that vibrate and bounce all the time. Hope that is a REAL rare case.
Op stated the wire was to the chassis and was burnt. I am thinking since the main wire was not grounded to the chassis this smaller wire completed the circuit and wasn't large enough to carry the load when the system tried to use it burnt. After thye main problem was corrected this smaller wire presented another problem having been burnt so it all goes back to the chassis ground that was not properly connected in the first place.

Just glad to hear the dealer didn't give up and hopefully they didn't rack up a big bill on DennyH while searching.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #36

Fortunately this was all documented with pictures so Forest River agreed to pay for this under warranty, as they should!!! All goes back to poor Quality systems at the plant.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #37

I checked my book for wiring diagram. Tons of connections are brought to ground, including the neutral an lots of genset controls iincluding voltsge and speed control!

Just lucky something didn't go up in smoke or overspeed.