Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #21

Just ordered a 2016 Forester 3171DS with swivel seats and got a call from Jeremy at Forest River said that the driver swivel seat only goes 3" and the passenger swivel seat won't swivel all the way around inot the living area. Wish they would have told me that at Camping World. Now I am gone to canel the swivel seats. Anyone else having this problem?
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #22
Commercial Member

If you look at the floor plan there is just not enough room. I have dealers that order the swivels on everything and I try and talk them out of it. Only do swivels on floor plans that give you the room to rake advantage of it.

Passenger sits right behind the dinette so there is really no use to that one. The Driver side will not turn to 180 degrees, but you could angle it into the living area. Not sure I agree with the 3" part...but it is tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3170-71 Bunks.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	72836  

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Whereas on a floor plan like the 3011, you have more room for the swivels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3010-11.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	72837  

Old 04-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
I pulled the trigger today! Thanks everyone for your help, especially Carl! Here's my build details:

Make: Forester
Model: 3171DS
Color: Sahara
Options:
• Cherry Wood Interior
• Ford E450 6.8L Chassis
• Preferred Package: Heated, Remote Exterior Mirrors, Back Up Camera w/Monitor, GPS Navigation, Dyson Cordless RV Vac with Wand, Surround Sound with Subwoofer, Black Tank Flush
• 15K BTU A/C w/Heat Pump
• Ultra Leather Driver/Passenger Seats
• Fantastic Fan in Bedroom
• Side View Cameras
• Driver Side Swivel Seat
• Passenger Side Swivel Seat
• Bedroom TV with DVD
• Convection Microwave, Delete Oven
• Arctic Package
• Exterior Grill w/Quick Connect
• Deluxe Woodgrain Dash
• Automatic Leveling Jacks
We just got a call from the factory and they said the swivel seats won't do much. The drivers seat only moves 3" and the passenger seat not much more. Have you heard this? We just ordered the same unit. Did you buy from Camping World? Thx, Ben
Old 04-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Whereas on a floor plan like the 3011, you have more room for the swivels.
Thx for the reply. So do you agree, not to order in the 3171DS?
Old 04-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #26
Commercial Member

I would for sure delete the passenger side. Driver is up to you.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #27

Quote:
If you look at the floor plan there is just not enough room. I have dealers that order the swivels on everything and I try and talk them out of it. Only do swivels on floor plans that give you the room to rake advantage of it.

Passenger sits right behind the dinette so there is really no use to that one. The Driver side will not turn to 180 degrees, but you could angle it into the living area. Not sure I agree with the 3" part...but it is tight.

The 3011 and the 3171 on the floorplans look the same to me on the drivers side but without being in each one of these with a swivel, it is hard for me to visualize. Is there anyway for you to verify this at the factory?

Update. Just got an email back from the factory rep that is handling our order, and he said as you did that the driver swivel will turn into the dinning area enough to be useful but not 180 degrees. That is fine with us. We are deleting the passenger swivel and keeping the driver swivel. I hope this helps others that are ordering this unit.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #28
Class C Representative

I went out and checked both the 3011 and 3071. When the slide is out on both the couch sticks out around 14" give or take a little bit. The drivers side swivel seat will have enough room to turn around and be functional.
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #29

Can both chairs rotate 90 degrees to face each other directly at a minimum?

Yes, I did buy from Camping World.
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Can both chairs rotate 90 degrees to face each other directly at a minimum?

Yes, I did buy from Camping World.
Can't answer that one. Maybe BClemens can answer that one for us.

We also bought thru Camping World. The Draper office.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #31
Commercial Member

They might, but you,d have no room to sit in the. The seats slide 45 degrees to the center before rotating.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #32

Quote:
They might, but you,d have no room to sit in the. The seats slide 45 degrees to the center before rotating.
Brian, I am having a hard time visualizing what you you are saying. Can you clarify? Do the seats not just rotate in place? Are you saying they move towards the center before rotating?
Old 04-03-2015, 05:11 PM   #33

Quote:

Well shoot...I ordered mine with the passenger side swivel. Oh well, I went power seat for drivers side, at least I got it half right.

No big deal I guess, my dealer missed it originally on my request so added at no additional charge.

Jason
Old 04-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Hi all, I am new to the forum and hopefully soon a new Forester owner. I have to compliment everyone on a great, information packed and supportive forum. This is really something special.

I'm hoping you can help me as I finalize my build sheet on a 3171ds. There are a few things that I'd like but I'm unsure if they are available.
  • Larger traditional split sink instead of round
  • MCD shades (or equivalent) with both day and night
  • Frameless windows
  • Full-size queen upgraded mattress, will an 80" not fit? Specs show 74"
  • Is there a different sofa option. Compared to the Leprechaun, I personally found the sofa to be less-comfortable. A sofa recliner would be great like the FR3 has.
  • Are there any other unwritten options that I might want to be aware of?

I'm unsure about going with the Front Entertainment Center with split twin bunks. For anyone that has this option, I'm curious to know your feedback? I can't seem to find the dimensions of the twin beds. And for those of you with children or grandchildren, have they been able to climb the ladder positioned in the middle to get in and out of bed easily (without putting fingerprints all over the tv).

Thanks in advance!
I have the sunseeker version on order right now and did go with the double twins. won't take delivery until early next month so still haven't seen the option live and in person yet.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Quote:
Brian, I am having a hard time visualizing what you you are saying. Can you clarify? Do the seats not just rotate in place? Are you saying they move towards the center before rotating?
That is correct. Towards the center at a 45 degree angle (to get away from door and/or steering wheel), then they rotate.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #36

Hey all, today I had a chance to play with the swivel seats on a different floor plan. Their a little tricky but once you get used to them they work just fine as Brian described. I'm still going to go forward with both swivel seats in spite of the fact that the passenger seat won't rotate much past 90° counterclockwise. The driver seat can rotate 180° with no problem.

There is the option to face both seats towards each other. And while that may not work so great for adults because of limited leg room that's great for kids that want to play a game together and face each other. Also, I can see my wife reading a book in the driver's seat with her feet up on the passenger seat. A built-in Ottoman of sorts (an expensive one too I suppose). It was actually quite comfortable.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Hey all, today I had a chance to play with the swivel seats on a different floor plan. Their a little tricky but once you get used to them they work just fine as Brian described. I'm still going to go forward with both swivel seats in spite of the fact that the passenger seat won't rotate much past 90° counterclockwise. The driver seat can rotate 180° with no problem.

There is the option to face both seats towards each other. And while that may not work so great for adults because of limited leg room that's great for kids that want to play a game together and face each other. Also, I can see my wife reading a book in the driver's seat with her feet up on the passenger seat. A built-in Ottoman of sorts (an expensive one too I suppose). It was actually quite comfortable.
Were you able to test the passenger seat on a 3171 or 3170 with the full Ford console with cup holders?
Old 04-16-2015, 11:52 PM   #38

Getting ready to order

Yes, the full cup holder setup. In the 80s my parents had a big conversion van in the front captains chairs would just turn in place with you sitting in them… Very easy. This is nothing like that. You physically have to get out of the chair to turn them. But yes, your knees would hit if you were able to manage turning it while sitting in it. You should come up to Kaysville and look at the one on the lot or have them bring it down to Draper so you can look at it if you're still torn.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Yes, the full cup holder setup. In the 80s my parents had a big conversion van in the front captains chairs would just turn in place with you sitting in them… Very easy. This is nothing like that. You physically have to get out of the chair to turn them. But yes, your knees would hit if you were able to manage turning it while sitting in it. You should come up to Kaysville and look at the one on the lot or have them bring it down to Draper so you can look at it if you're still torn.
They have a 3171 in Kaysville with swivel seats for both driver and passenger? Also, I had a 1981 Dodge Van that we had customized with 4 swivel seats. The back seats could swivel all the way around but like you say, the fronts are limited because of the dog house. Thx for the info.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #40

No, not a 3171 but a different floor plan. It gave me the perspective I need.